where would you move to

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
If you go north it gets colder, and south it gets hotter, so - being thin blooded - I'd stay right here!

Maybe move to St Austell, which - apparently - has the UK's best weather, from a unique combination of favourable environmental factors.

At least, that's what many guidebooks say, but I've just found this ....... so, maybe the entire place is going to go "woosh"?

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=33595 .

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Loved Japan on holiday for a month in the '80's, I could live out my mortal coil in Kyoto, more laid back than Tokyo. Temples a great refuge from the world outside.

BUT - ridiculously expensive, so no chance on my pension :(

Llew

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Whatever you do I'd say one thing. Keep on the uk property ladder.

There is nothing worse than seeing the price of the house you had in the uk double in a year. And if you decide to come back not being able to afford what you gave up. If you rent out your house in the uk it should pay for a small place abroad while you test the water.

Also not speaking the language is ok when things go right but as soon as you have problems people suddenly dont speak english. As someone once said you can buy things in any language but to sell things it has to be the local language.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
But surely, UK property prices can't rise forever?

That would be absurd!

peadarpiper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HUMAX 5400 1M dish Motorised
My Location
Ireland
Ireland mate, may not have the weather but has same lingo low crime and nice people :)

grahamd180

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 110,Technomate1500ci super,v-box,Jaeger 1224,Dragon Cam,Cas3,Digitalb card,Conax cam,Lots more in shed!
My Location
East Midlands
whatsthis is talking sense,you should note what he is saying,i have lived overseas,and the grass is not always greener as they say!!
Happy days
G

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
peadarpiper said:
Ireland mate, may not have the weather but has same lingo low crime and nice people :)

sorry m8 but weather will have a big bearing on outcome

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
peadarpiper said:

Same lingo? I go over there quite a lot because of family and although I can understand most (if not all) of what is being said to me, they have trouble understanding me (especially the older ones.)

Having said that, I had the exact same thing in NYC. I had to slow down and/or repeat things in order to be understood. It's enough to make me think my Hampshire Hog/Cor Blimey Guv'nor accent is the root of my problems - but Spanish and Portuguese people understand me fine!

Back on topic, a really important thing to think about when moving to another country is do they have public health care? Ireland doesn't (IIRC) and whatever has replaced the E111 is, (again IIRC) not intended for anything other than short stays in a participating country

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
well ive not voted.... because ive only ever left this country once.... and went to Italy to see my grandads grave (killed at Anzio WW2).

i didnt like italy and ive never been tempted to go abroad again since..... so i'll stay here on this sinking ship :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Analoguesat said:
Australia for me. had 3 weeks there in summer 1999 and totally fell in love with the place.

Far too hot for me, m8. I nearly fainted through the heat. Never again...worst "holiday" ever.:eek:

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Who knows what house prices will do but...
If you buy in spain, france etc, the places popular with the brits, the prices follow roughly whats happening in blighty BUT at different rates. So what I've found is that when house prices double in the UK in france they only go up 50% in france. So after 2 years away, if you have to return, you can not afford what you left. I've heard so many stories of people having to return because they can not get/afford the medical treatment so they have to get back to the uk and end up having to downsize.

Better off renting out your uk property and that will pay for a small rented place abroad. Try it for a couple of years and if you like it then by that time you know the best areas and how to buy. I say this because in France the french dont usually buy old houses they buy land and build their own. It works out cheaper, you get the house exactly what you want and the place you want. Its the brits who buy the old farm houses and try to do them up because thats how we do it in the uk.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I don't mind the hot weather sometimes, but I'd much rather have a busload of snow to play with.

Switzerland, Austria maybe. New Zealand would be right up there too.

Top of the list? Iceland. Fantastic scenery, skiing, unrestricted off-road motorsport, fishing.

Wouldn't be a permanent move though, I love this country too much.

Once we get rid of the ridiculous bunch of idiots that are 'running' the place it can only get better.

Some different idiots would make a change at least :p

adam2002

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force D master 1122
sky digibox with freeview card.
80cm dish with motor
My Location
France
come to France. been here three years now and would now never consider moving back to the UK. The health service here is first rate, food, wine, rates and general living is considerably cheaper than the UK, houses are cheap also and the weather where I am, The Lot et Garonne is great, working outside currently, its still tshirts.
Deisel is now 96 euro cents a litre and car insurance is 1/3 uk prices.

However, if you set up in business, well thats the only downside
best regards
ad

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
FRANCE beautiful women, beautiful wine, beautiful country, Loure valley.

dlemaire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 7020 - 250GB HDD,
Moteck Motor (SG-2100A), 0.2 LNB,
90cm Dish
My Location
Cambridge (UK)
I would not recommend moving outside Europe because you might end up living way too far from your family (if you are European to start with), and nobody will visit you + it would cost a fortune for you to go back "home". I have never been to Eastearn Europe but I have to say that I am more attacted by western Europe/ Cultures. (Also moving to an Island is too remote from anything else).

Some time ago I spoke with a friend from California and I told her she was really lucky because she always had nice weather. She replied that I was just wrong, in the sense that differents seasons bring different moods which is rather enjoyable (she is originally from Boston, East Coast). I realise this might be a bit difficult to understand for UK folks but I believe she had a point: Who knows, you might get bored of continual sunshine.

Weather: To get the best of both world I would recommend living next to the Alps (or Pyrenees) & the sea (Mediteranean or Atlantic). If you leave on the mountains (next to a lake), you can enjoy:
- Your winter: Feeling cosy with the snow outside, nice walks, big christmas family party etc... + the hotter weater is never too far
- Your summer: Nice fresh air in the summer (from the montains) with a nice weather, go to swim in a lake in altitude (note: make sure the water temperature is OK (not too cold) before you set off) or go to the sea front, but beware of the (too) hot weather: When it's too hot you just cannot do anything (why do they have siestas in the afternoon in Spain???)

Environment: Nature, City, Intermediate? For me, Intermediate with a base camp next to a bigger city. Again you get the best of both worlds...

Sea: There are many more waves in the Altantic sea (more fun for various sports such as surfing) than in the mediterranean sea, but the latter is also warmer!

People: I'll go for Spanish: Really chilled out & welcoming people (from my experience). Note that I am French and eventhough I truely love my country/people, I also know things that make me upset with the French attitude that a non-French person would not necessarily understand. To help you understand, I am sure you know a few things that you do not appreciate from Brit people (if you are British). I love UK (people) too, I am just trying to get a point there: I might be a bit biased but this is relative to your own experience really.

Language: It is always helful to know the local language. If you are truly prepared to learn a language then the door is open, if not you might consider Switzerland (e.g. lots of English speaking people out there). Note, that there might be some issues in staying in Switzerland (as it is not part of Europe)

Food: Italy, France, Spain, Portugal... Well coming from UK, any of these will be any improvement, so I would not worry too much about that.

Sports: I can only speak for France but there are many water-related activites in the south east of France (many many rivers for canoeing, climbing). Not too sure about other countries. Skying (mountain), hang gliding etc... Sea/lake swimming, fishing & more

Airports: Always important to consider the airport is not too far to receive your friends and family on a regular basis.

Proximity to other countries: Switzerland has to win in that category

here are my thoughts & things to consider... Hope that helps

I vote the Pyrenees, sorry but I cannot choose which side of the border...

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
spain/portugal and take a 2.4m andrews with me for the english tv :)

dago

Reaction score
like to move to alicante, unfortunally at the moment I'm short of funds!
but I do dislike the long winters.

regards.

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-8500MCI, 1.2m dish,
USALS H-H, 2db dual output LNB, SkyStar2
My Location
Southern Europe
adam2002 said:
come to France. been here three years now and would now never consider moving back to the UK. The health service here is first rate, food, wine, rates and general living is considerably cheaper than the UK, houses are cheap also and the weather where I am, The Lot et Garonne is great, working outside currently, its still tshirts.
Deisel is now 96 euro cents a litre and car insurance is 1/3 uk prices.

However, if you set up in business, well thats the only downside
best regards
ad

I completely agree with adam2002. Both of my children were born in French hospitals; you get a private room with TV etc and good meals for 10 days after the birth. Food, drink and living expenses I've already said are cheaper and better.

And I agree about the business side too :-( I was freelance in the UK where it was easy, then I tried running a business in France; for the first six months I received mails on a DAILY basis informing me of something I hadn't complied with, be it tax, URSSAF or whatever. On top of all that, you lose 50% of whatever you earn. Forget it! That said, sorting your financial situation (tax, banking, whatever) can all be done effeciently online.

Status
Not open for further replies.