Which is the best, affordable meter for 2D in the fringe?

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi,

Looking to get a new meter to ensure I have optimised my 2D reception.

Looking to spend up to 600GBP (will go to a 1000 if really large differences in meter performance are available). Want to optimise 2D whilst still getting a watchable signal on Eurobird 11642.00 V , so quick change between transponders would be nice.

Would like SS SQ MER readings and a spectrum analyser, not worried about tv picture on meter as I can take a portable tv and receiver on the roof for that.

Need a machine that will give me reliable info, in case after the weather settles down here and the dish is fully aligned I still have problems with BBC london etc I want to try what Iceman has done to his dish and other things for which a good meter is the only way to go.

The meter I am thinking about getting is the Horizon HD S2 but there is also the Rover ST 2 and I have seen a few well spec´d meters on that well known web auction site.

Recommendations would be good please (but meters need to work on the weak transponders – unlike my Satlook NIT Digital). Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Don't have a problem with my Satlook Micro on weak transponders. I never use easy find modes or quick alignment options; only the spectrum.

Optimise somewhere between the two as I'm sure you know not possible to maximise signal for both. Out of the two meters mentioned, the Rover may prove better than the Horizon. Although the spectrum sweep isn't that fast on the Rover, they do work well and give a good range of measurements. I think the MASTER STC are one of the entry level MPEG4 meters, but for your budget there are a long list of meters to choose from.

Keep your eye out for a decent second hand spectrum, always several available on auction sites.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi Satelliteman.

Yes aware that I can´t maximise signal for both. Just want to get slighltly above threshold for Eurobird and the max I can get on 2D, as 2D is more important.

Yes can see there are plenty of choices with reagrd to meters, that why hoping to get feedback from users to help me make my choice, especially Horizon users.

With reagrd to the Satlook, I think you get a beter 2D sinal where you are.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
We do get a better 2D signal here, but the Satlook works fine for "fringe for us" stuff. e.g 26e, the Nordic Beams on 5e and 1w, and 7w. There's no reason it wouldn't do just as good a job for you on 2d. The sensitivity of the Easyfind is much improved with the latest firmware on the meter, and the spectrum is pretty quick. I wouldn't be without mine.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Rick, can´t find new software for NIT digital. Can you give me a link?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Risk's referring to the Satlook Micro.

Incase you need the digital NIT page and tools, here it is:

Code:
 http://www.emitor.se/extra/pod/?id=11&module_instance=1&action=pod_show&navid=11&do=show_prod&prod_id=13

Regarding Horizon meters, I'm not a great lover of them but they do seem popular.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi Satelliteman.

Thanks, but that software is rather old and I have that.

I will have to replace the Satlook as it won´t lock on any 2D transponder. Also mine has so far needed a new CRT and battery and it hasn´t seen much use.

Looks like I will have to take pot luck on one.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
DishDick said:
Looks like I will have to take pot luck on one.

If you up your budget, you could end up with a top spec meter. Something like a Televes H45 or a Promax Explorer HD.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Are you having a laugh? Its like suggesting someone looking at buying a Audi should up their budget and buy a Bentley!

The Promax 5900 GBP! Even the Televes 2500 GBP! Just to align at most 2 dishes!

I am already on the verge of quitting satellite and going IPTV as it is.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
DD, I heard so much about the Satlook NIT not locking on 2D (especially from Cyprus) that I was pretty worried when I ordered my Satlook Color HD, but that locks fine on almost everything. Anyway I've got that and a Satcatcher Excel-TV but for critical adjustment of 2D or EB1 I much prefer the Lacuna mk4. It's a very basic meter and only available second hand but for fine adjustment you can't beat it.

If you are only adjusting a few dishes there is no need to consider a meter with DVB-S2 capability.

On the Horizon meters, my personal feelings are not favourable. I want a meter that I can edit every setting and transponder on location, by hand, without the use of a PC, and I certainly wouldn't want any brand of meter that I needed to email the manufacturer to request a new transponder file every time a new satellite is launched.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
DishDick said:
Are you having a laugh? Its like suggesting someone looking at buying a Audi should up their budget and buy a Bentley!

The Promax 5900 GBP! Even the Televes 2500 GBP! Just to align at most 2 dishes!

I am already on the verge of quitting satellite and going IPTV as it is.

You wanted feedback on meters; I gave you my professional opinion. You also didn't make it totally clear it was for adjusting only two dishes.

Need a machine that will give me reliable info

The professional spectrum analysers I recommended do just that. In addition to the above, the Satlook Micro would be within your budget as would the Satlook Lite.

Or perhaps one of these would be more suited :-rofl2

Anyway, Merry Christmas DD :) ;)

Attachments

• satellite-finder-meter.jpg
    satellite-finder-meter.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 34

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi Satelliteman, you must have missed my request of sat meters up to 1,000 GBP in first post. Hence my shock at a meter costing 6 times that!

Huevos, I used to use one of those when I used to do installs (or the Wolsey rebadge). Nice meter for small dishes, never found it so good for the big ones. I am not too worried how difficult a meter is to set up initially, just how reliable and quick its data is. As long as I can program it with all 2D H transponders and a few 2A, 2B and Eurobird transponders and be able to switch between them I will be happy.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
No worries. You did mention though in your first post regarding purchasing an S2 meter, preferable a spectrum which is why I recommended the STC model as an entry level MPEG4 spectrum meter.

Hope you find what your looking for :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
satelliteman said:
Or perhaps one of these would be more suited :-rofl2

Anyway, Merry Christmas DD :) ;)

Excellent device for annoying the neighbours while they're trying to have a BBQ!

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
The reason I mentioned a S2 meter was the Horizon had that feature and I thought if buying a new meter I might as well go with the new rather than the old standard (DVB S) as we don´t know how long it will last on the Astra 2 satellites. One day Sky might decide it is cheaper to give everyone a HD box (even Multi room clients) than transmit every channel in SD and HD and switch off SD and go S2. I thought the take up of Sky Digital would be slow. That people wouldn´t want to pay 400 pounds for a new box and then get a new dish installed. Then Sky gave the boxes away - never saw that coming. But again it was cheaper than transmitting on two satellite locations.

Don´t want to end up with a duff meter in a couple or years or less. But if I can get a cracking non S2 meter now, I suppose S2 meters will be cheaper in a couple of years time.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
DishDick said:
Nice meter for small dishes, never found it so good for the big ones. I am not too worried how difficult a meter is to set up initially, just how reliable and quick its data is
I set up a lot more big dishes than small ones (several per day normally) and in my experience you won't get a dish aligned better than you can with the Lacuna. It is brilliant, especially for skew and depth. Don't get me wrong, I love my spectrum meters, they're great for hunting, but for fine adjustment you can't beat the Lacuna.

Re: 2D, there are no DVB-S2 transponders on there and there probably never will be. Also, currently, all of the Freesat channels, whether SD or HD are broadcast via DVB-S transponders, not S2. Also Sky is hardly going to pull the plug on SD when 70% of its subscribers don't have an HD receiver. And why would Sky bother supplying 6.5 million households with HD boxes at 200 GBP a throw when those people don't want to pay the extra 10 quid a month?

6.5 million x 200 = 1.3 billion GBP

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well they certainly don't cost Sky £200, probably less than half that, but your general point is valid, there is a lot of life left yet in SD. :)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
Well they certainly don't cost Sky £200, probably less than half that, but your general point is valid, there is a lot of life left yet in SD. :)
Rolf, just out of interest how much does an unsubscribed Sky+ HD receiver cost there? Here they are currently round about 300€.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
DishDick said:
I will have to replace the Satlook as it won´t lock on any 2D transponder.

Check all connections from the IF input to the main board and if you still have issues, stick a 18-24dB amplifier inline with it and recalibrate.

They really are the cheapest spectrum (which is the easiest/quickest way to finding a satellite transponder)

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Ok CH, will try after Christmas. Hopefully this bad weather will be gone then.

I never thought of sticking an in line amp on before (to get signal level above threshold of meter). You are the second person to tell me that today. I got an email back from Horizon in response the a question I asked them about the sensitivity of their meter, where they mentioned in line amps.

"We can resolve “DER” (Derived Error Rate) on DVB-S2 modulated carriers almost down to noise floor,
but unfortunately most of the transponders on the low band Astra-2D platform are conventional DVB-S
QPSK (mpeg4 for HD) and we would not be able get an effective BER from carriers in an unlocked state.

For DVB-S QPSK this would relate to a carrier to noise of about 6dB (this can go lower but would then be
intermittent locking). In this instance I would look at using variable slope equalized line amplifiers on a
band separated Quattro LNB to that has a scalar ringed (polished) Ku-Band feed horn assembly bring
these levels up, I would also consider using an optical LNB to reduce line losses from the antenna to
the set top box but from that location I would say that beam drift would be one of the biggest problems."