Advice Needed Which sats? Toroidal 90 in Europe

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Additionally, I now understand that I can attach a 90 or 120 or 130 cm dish in my garden if I can mount it on a concrete slab, the local authorities say they will allow that if it can be secured to the ground!

The city ordinance still remains, but would like to consider a completely low noise motorised system!

You will definitely pick up a lot more with a properly installed 130cm motorised dish and get better reception all round (more dish = more signal = better reception)!

Motorised dishes are noisy, probably too noisy for your neighbours/neighbourhood by the sound of it! Go on "You Tube" type in "motorised dish" or similar, there are plenty of clips of dishes in motion, then you can judge for yourself how loud they are and whether it would cause a problem!:)

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 x Toroidal 90cm Antenna, 4 x Centauri 16 DiSEqC x 16 INVERTO Black Premium LNB - 58" 65'' 16:9 Plasma display BeoVision 12 Bang & Olufsen and BeoSystem 4 which includes 4 x satellite tuner modules (special build).
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
This is what I think you should be able to receive at your location with a decent amount of content. The majority of the packages will need a subscription to watch because they are encrypted, but there are free to air channels that you can see. Other satellites will be receivable but will not provide a lot of content, whether you want to spend out the money to subscribe to multiple packages (it's going to cost a substantial amount!) is only a question that you can answer! I would suggest that you maybe find out what the individual packages will cost you and determine whether the content that they provide is what you are looking for. Terryl's post 41 explains how to find out about packages and content on different satellites, you can then research the packages/providers on line.

For what it's worth, in my opinion you will not be able to get everything that is available. With that type of dish set up I would disregard C-band, I don't think the investment needed will bring you decent results, just concentrate on Ku-band reception. I think you would benefit from focusing on specific satellites with plenty of varied content and packages ( look on "Lyngsat" or "King of Sat"), the satellites to the edges of your main focus will not provide you with such a strong signal (spotlight analogy!) Unfortunately you won't pick up the Nordic packages on 4.9/5E because you are well outside the footprint (spotlight analogy!) I doubt even a monster sized dish would help. You will have the same problem with most of the Nordic channels on 0.8W as well. You won't get all of these satellites on one wavefront 90cm dish, the spread is too large. If you decide that you want to cover the entire list you will definitely need two dishes. Have a good look and do some more research, all on this forum can offer you advice, guidance and opinions, but ultimately only you know exactly what you are looking for and how much you are prepared to pay to get it or the compromises that you are prepare to make ;

My recommendations;
30W Mainly Spanish channels & packages; Meo, Canal +, Nos
7W/7.3W Mainly Arabic; Abu Dhabi TV, OSN, Bein Sports
5W Mainly French; Bis, Orange, Fransat (most of the content of this Sat is on 13E)
0.8W Mainly Hungarian & Romanian; UPC, Focus Sat, Digi
4.8E Mainly Ukrainian; Viasat Ukraina
7E Mainly Turkish; Digiturk (most of this content is on 42E)
9E Mainly German; Kabelkiosk
13E Varied; Nova, SRG, Sky Italia, Orange, Bis, NC+, Cyfrowny Polsat
16E Mainly Balkan States; Max TV, DigitAlb, Total TV,Tring Digital
19.2E Varied; HD+, Canal+, Sky Deutschland, CanalDigitaal, CanalSat France, Orange France
23.5E Dutch and Czech; CS Link, Skylink, CanalDigitaal
26E Mainly Arabic; My HD (most of this content is on 7W)
28.2E Mainly English; Sky UK, Freesat
These next 2 satellites don't provide as much
31.5E Mainly Romanian; Orange Romania
39E Mainly Bulgarian; Bulsatcom
42E Mainly Turkish; Digiturk, D-Smart

You will find that a lot of programs are available on different satellites/packages/providers, so be aware of this if you do decide to subscribe as you could end up paying for a package that really doesn't offer much more than you might have with another provider. Also, note that some programs will be available with different language options on different satellites/packages/providers. I hope that this helps. :)

Hello Riverblue,

This is the kind of comprehensive information I love receiving, it gives me something to my idle mind to consider. I love the detail descriptions you have provided here. It is intelligently written, extremely clear and descriptive.

The information as presented is easier for me to comprehend quickly! Though I have a high IQ and fairly intelligent this obviously is not and area of technology that I am familiar with!

So this may seem like a dumb question Ok:

a) Each of my 4 Bang & Olufsen TV's have a dual CAM built into the back of the device! (See photo)

CAM.png
b) The way my TV's are currently mounted accessing the CAM slot to change a CARD for the various "Subscription" TV programs on Satellite is almost an engineering feat in of it self and certainly beyond me! (See photo)

B&O TV.png

The CAM is built is therefore inaccessible most of the time! I am wondering if there is such a thing as a multiple CAM extender which breaks out the CAM slots via a ribbon cable or connector so that CAM slot can be accessible with the TV is installed again the wall or on a high bracket?

As you have stated that "subscribe to multiple packages" this will require multiple CAM cards which must be inserted and reinserted and my TV's can only handle two (2) CAM cards at a time! Further, it states in my manual that I must turn off the TV each time I want to swap the cards? That is pretty inconvenient what is the alternative, this is a solution beginning for an answer!

I can't be the only one who has had this CAM multiple card issue to solve? How did you solve this problem? Is there anyone out there that has had similar problems and found a eunique solution?

Thanks again

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 x Toroidal 90cm Antenna, 4 x Centauri 16 DiSEqC x 16 INVERTO Black Premium LNB - 58" 65'' 16:9 Plasma display BeoVision 12 Bang & Olufsen and BeoSystem 4 which includes 4 x satellite tuner modules (special build).
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
I've just seen your last post Doc Sarah, if it is Adult specific channels that you want to monitor for royalties then you can get information for programs/satellites on sites like Channel Directory (D) - KingOfSat let's use "Dorcel" as an example!
View attachment 72527

Then you go to the satellite directory page; Satellite directory - KingOfSat select the satellite of your choice, say 13E

View attachment 72528

Scroll down to the frequency shown, 12322.00 H and it shows the providers

View attachment 72529

If you do this for the various adult programs then you will be able to see who shows what and which packages you might need to subscribe to, which would help with your choice of satellites. The problem is, you still won't be able to see stuff outside your footprint or beyond the capability of your setup. :)

Riverblue, you are a great man and a lifesaver I was unaware that there was any EPG out there covering all birds in the air above me!

This information is great! The only way I can get the hundreds of thousands in euros I miss as we have to report (or claim) our own royalties for content played over air and cable is to actually identify the Station; Provider; Title; Time Aired; Duration and Director! They can then check back with the company who broadcasted the content and my appearance in the movie and they then send me a check!

While there are hundreds of satellites channels in the Sky above me, I have often wondered how anyone can see what programming is available on them individually, our post gives me a clue finally, they should have a EPG APP available for iOS devices (iPhone and iPad's) that way I could track the programs to be broadcast 24 hours before!

Does anyone know of an APP like that available for any device of PC/MAC?

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Hello Riverblue,
As you have stated that "subscribe to multiple packages" this will require multiple CAM cards which must be inserted and reinserted and my TV's can only handle two (2) CAM cards at a time! Further, it states in my manual that I must turn off the TV each time I want to swap the cards? That is pretty inconvenient what is the alternative, this is a solution beginning for an answer!

I can't be the only one who has had this CAM multiple card issue to solve? How did you solve this problem? Is there anyone out there that has had similar problems and found a eunique solution?

Thanks again

Unfortunately, there is no simple or easy way round this. There are some "dodgy" ways to simplify this, but I wouldn't advocate using any of these and they can not be discussed on here because they are illegal!
If you want to subscribe to multiple packages/providers then you will end up with, at the very least, multiple cards (which will require their own specific cams!) or more likely nowadays, multiple receivers with cards in and all the problems with cabling and power sockets etc. Most providers nowadays pair their cards to their own specific make and type of receiver. Sky Uk, for example, you can only use the card you get from them in the exact receiver it is paired to, so it won't work in your TV. Also, some providers will only let you have a card based on your location, I think "Tivusat" Italy is one, ie if you don't have an Italian postcard they don't issue the card! As I assume you have already figured, to get what you ask is in no way simple or cheap.
Also, how do you intend to monitor these programs, are you going to record lots of content? Some of the paired receivers may not have a facility to do so!

Riverblue, you are a great man and a lifesaver I was unaware that there was any EPG out there covering all birds in the air above me!
This is not an EPG, it will just enable you to work out what satellites etc a program is being shown on. A lot of these satellite sites rely on information from enthusiasts so you cannot guarantee that they are 100% up to date or accurate, they just offer a decent guide!
It seems to me that you could spend more time tracking down your royalties than you would actually performing in your movies!:(

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
You will definitely pick up a lot more with a properly installed 130cm motorised dish and get better reception all round (more dish = more signal = better reception)!

Motorised dishes are noisy, probably too noisy for your neighbours/neighbourhood by the sound of it! Go on "You Tube" type in "motorised dish" or similar, there are plenty of clips of dishes in motion, then you can judge for yourself how loud they are and whether it would cause a problem!:)

Thanks for the time! Where would I find the best motorised combination antenna. Why do they have to make a noise anyway? (almost silent in operation)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Are you indicating that the two satellites LNB #4: Satellite 23.5° E and LNB #5: Satellite 28.2° E can be captured using a single LNB?
Yes, it can not be opposite. That is very small difference of orbital position and you almost not see difference, especially when reception is on small antenna like T90.
Secondly, I think you go too deep in technical details, it is not necessary at all IMHO. You also wish to have everything at once, and that is also impossible....for several reasons, including as already mentioned financial implications.
If motorized antenna is an option than I would say go for:
- 1 x toroidal antenna with 10 LNBs on it (I've mentioned before). This antenna will cover majority of your needs, cuz all more important satellites will be exactly those 10! Forget about 2 x toroidal antennas with 16 LNBs on each, it is impossible at your location.
- Install (ask somebody to install) 1 x 1,8m motorized dish on your yard's pole. This antenna will give you rest of channels you can not get from toroidal.
Of course there will be some limitations, such as- from motorized antenna you will be able to watch channels only on one of the TVs.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Thanks for the time! Where would I find the best motorised combination antenna. Why do they have to make a noise anyway? (almost silent in operation)
The noise on a Diseqc motor is generated by geared cogs rotating inside the motor when it turns, some have metal gears (generally stronger and more durable but noisier) and others have plastic gears (not as durable but generally quieter). On a polar mount it is caused by the actuator arm being extended or retracted. This is all necessary to move the face of the satellite dish across the arc to enable it to pick up the signal from different satellites in orbit (like spotlight following an actor as he moves across the stage, another spotlight analogy!;))

I'm not sure exactly what dishes and motors are available in your locality (North of Barcelona? no need to be specific) I believe that "Tecatel" and "Farmaval" (not their economy range) are decent dishes. I think that you can get a polar mount for these dishes, you can enquire locally. You will need a polar mount, a 18"/24" actuator and a G box to move a 130cm "motorised dish" and a substantial metal stand or bracket to mount it to, people will say that you can use a diseqc motor but I think that a 130cm dish in a coastal location is going to put too much of a strain on a diseqc motor (ie, it may not last long or break off completely in strong winds!)
Check out this if you need ideas/info (bit expensive to buy from here, but good service)
Motorised satellite dishes. 1.2m motorised satellite dishes. 1.8cm motorised satellite dishes. 2.3m motorised satellite dishes. UK
Have a look on this site, lots of good info and pictures :)

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
Unfortunately, there is no simple or easy way round this. There are some "dodgy" ways to simplify this, but I wouldn't advocate using any of these and they can not be discussed on here because they are illegal!
If you want to subscribe to multiple packages/providers then you will end up with, at the very least, multiple cards (which will require their own specific cams!) or more likely nowadays, multiple receivers with cards in and all the problems with cabling and power sockets etc. Most providers nowadays pair their cards to their own specific make and type of receiver. Sky Uk, for example, you can only use the card you get from them in the exact receiver it is paired to, so it won't work in your TV. Also, some providers will only let you have a card based on your location, I think "Tivusat" Italy is one, ie if you don't have an Italian postcard they don't issue the card! As I assume you have already figured, to get what you ask is in no way simple or cheap.
Also, how do you intend to monitor these programs, are you going to record lots of content? Some of the paired receivers may not have a facility to do so!

This is not an EPG, it will just enable you to work out what satellites etc a program is being shown on. A lot of these satellite sites rely on information from enthusiasts so you cannot guarantee that they are 100% up to date or accurate, they just offer a decent guide!
It seems to me that you could spend more time tracking down your royalties than you would actually performing in your movies!:(

I have a DVR in EyeTV by Elgato Systems, it uses a EPG from Gracenotes-Europe on my Apple iMac here: https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv/eyetv-3 (http://www.digitaltveurope.net/tag/gracenote/)! So all I have to do there is select a channel I want to record and it records it to a external 4 TB hard drive!

EPG:
http://help.elgato.com/customer/por...v-program-guide-to-my-eyetv-gracenote#anchor1

You are right about this comment to a point: "It seems to me that you could spend more time tracking down your royalties than you would actually performing in your movies!" However, it has to be done as it represents over £478,725 in lost revenue for me each year! Here is the problem I almost never see my own movies after they are shot and canned before their are any galley's to see and sent to Editing in Nevada. Further, we shoot our movies back-to back, at times we shoot and wrap four (4), five (5) or six (6) per day, so it is hard keep up, but I have the titles of my movies to air, I only have to look for them and report when they play on the air!

I get release date and a pay-per-view or pay-per-download fee, but I have to arrange collecting my own royalties from broadcasters who play the content without alerting Vivid Entertainment! So it is best I employ others locally to view and log all my listed content to see where and when it appears on screen and note who played it!

Sky service I have, I transport the Sky HD box (http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-plus-hd-box/) too and from the UK each year! I have a Sky ID and Card here so I connect the SkyBox RJ11 to my phone line via my Vonage http://www.vonage.co.uk/ VOIP Modem which has a UK number!

The box calls my London home and therefore BSkyB back to the UK where the box gets interrogated by Sky-B-Sky! The system notes my UK IP address and leaves me alone! Additionally, it helped that I paid them each year in advance! They still send 'annoyingly' a new car now and then without you requesting it! You then have to call in the card and have the system authenticate the card and modem inside the Sky set top box!

I have been using the Sky Analogue System since 2003 outside of the UK. Now that the system is digital I use the same system method using the Digital Box and the system, as it sees my system in the UK so it updated my box every time as the VPN modem is always on, you can find them here: http://www.strongvpn.com/vpn_routers_new.shtml!

So I have a question: Can anyone give me a hint at where I can do some research on the content of this statement: "I wouldn't advocate using any of these and they can not be discussed on here because they are illegal!" I respect and understand why they can't be discussed on a forum like this! However, any EU citizen is entitled to conduct research on anything, it does not state that you have any illegal intentions!

I just want to edify my own mind and engender my own risks at my own costs to knowledge, I am a pussy, but I have courage and I fear nothing!

Last edited:

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
The noise on a Diseqc motor is generated by geared cogs rotating inside the motor when it turns, some have metal gears (generally stronger and more durable but noisier) and others have plastic gears (not as durable but generally quieter). On a polar mount it is caused by the actuator arm being extended or retracted. This is all necessary to move the face of the satellite dish across the arc to enable it to pick up the signal from different satellites in orbit (like spotlight following an actor as he moves across the stage, another spotlight analogy!;))

I'm not sure exactly what dishes and motors are available in your locality (North of Barcelona? no need to be specific) I believe that "Tecatel" and "Farmaval" (not their economy range) are decent dishes. I think that you can get a polar mount for these dishes, you can enquire locally. You will need a polar mount, a 18"/24" actuator and a G box to move a 130cm "motorised dish" and a substantial metal stand or bracket to mount it to, people will say that you can use a diseqc motor but I think that a 130cm dish in a coastal location is going to put too much of a strain on a diseqc motor (ie, it may not last long or break off completely in strong winds!)
Check out this if you need ideas/info (bit expensive to buy from here, but good service)
Motorised satellite dishes. 1.2m motorised satellite dishes. 1.8cm motorised satellite dishes. 2.3m motorised satellite dishes. UK
Have a look on this site, lots of good info and pictures :)

Wow so there is none who has built a quiet "Military Grade" motor! I was in the Army at 19 and out by 21 in Sweden (Yes women can join the Swedish military, that is where I had all my co-ed sexual experiences).

I was amazed at the satellite systems used by the Swedish army, most used a gimbal mounts sometimes with a fluid bearing and they were silent! I can't imagine there is no satellite dish manufacturer our there who has developed a silent motor or at least a "quieter motor?

Where would I look to find something like that? Please do not consider cost as an impediment to resolution of my problem, I am not!

I will check out "Tecatel" and "Farmaval" band of antennas you suggested! Can you list the components I need here? Will I need: Antenna, LNB's, Koscom DS DiSEqC switches and ? What constitutes a "complete and optimized" solutions I can have a manufactured and assembled and installed but before I can do any of that I must send the antennas and motor manufacture the Costa Brava City Noise Abatement Act that way he can indicate which motor and antenna combination! Can you list a optimum motorises system here?

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Wow! There's no letting go when you get your teeth into something is there!;)
There are other types of motors that commercial installs use e.g. TV companies, telecommunications military etc. I am just a hobbyist and have no personal experience of their setups, but I can assure you that you would be spending a hell of a lot more not only for the equipment (probably £1000's) but for the specific professional expertise required to install such equipment properly, if you've had trouble getting your existing dish set up just imagine how much more complicated what your suggesting would potentially be!:eek:.
Generally I imagine that that sort of equipment would be used for larger dishes than a 130cm and not in a residential set up, Unless you are a mad keen Dxer or enthusiasmt

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
Wow! There's no letting go when you get your teeth into something is there!;)
There are other types of motors that commercial installs use e.g. TV companies, telecommunications military etc. I am just a hobbyist and have no personal experience of their setups, but I can assure you that you would be spending a hell of a lot more not only for the equipment (probably £1000's) but for the specific professional expertise required to install such equipment properly, if you've had trouble getting your existing dish set up just imagine how much more complicated what your suggesting would potentially be!:eek:.
Generally I imagine that that sort of equipment would be used for larger dishes than a 130cm and not in a residential set up, Unless you are a mad keen Dxer or enthusiasmt

Dear Riverblue,

Did I give you the impression that I was concerned about costs?

My concern is to achieve positive results; in pursuit of that kind of result there will always be a taxing cost to bear. So if that price is worthwhile to me then I will just pay it! Riverblue, if I have given you the impression that I was concerned about costs then I must apologies profusely. I am a Lioness therefore I am more concerned about positive results in the hunt than the hunt for a solution itself!

Ok as I am fearlessly honest and I am a truth teller I will share a little of my personal objective with you. I am usually the fierce guardian of my own privacy, rights and freedom of expression though my profession is the Adult Industry don’t judge me immoral, it is in fact just another taxable business for governments not unlike any other except our business product is stimulation, not unlike Alcohol or Tabaco just visceral that’s all and in most cases less harmful to health when practiced safely!

That said, I am seeking as much information in the satellite signals and instillation products and processes as possible because I did not do so previously which lead to the installer her in Costa Brava taking advantage of me! This happens in life when you do not inform yourself about the product and services you are seeking! I did little if no research myself only instructing the instillation professional about what TV reception I wanted. I trusted him to be professional enough to deliver what I requested and charge a fair price and he did not!

That said not all satellite installation companies are so unscrupulous just this one! I therefore decided that I would take a crash course in learning about what I needed by asking the great individuals I have met on these forum honest questions in the purest of honest answers, which is why I have not shielded my identity or my industry. Hopefully truth begets truth?

I want to build a robust state-of-the-art “Pan European” satellite system installed in my home here in Costa Brava. It will be a kind of test system to determine what I install in the other homes in Europe in which I spend the winter months. Hopefully, it will be comparable to the systems I have experienced at my workplace in North Americas San Fernando Valley where for the most part they have no access to European satellites and that horrible US 4.3 SD aspect ration, NTSC and 625!

I reside mostly in Europe, sometimes in Zurich, Geneva, (my home country) Sweden, Germany, Spain or even London, therefore if this satellite system works I will know what to install in all those alternative places in which I spend my winter! Each season I begin a home improvement project. This year my project is to improve the methods by which I can track uncollected royalty on my own movies broadcast via Satellite, to do that I have to watch a lot of Hard Core Adult Content but first I have to have a stable system installed and tuned to that content and therefore I must know where it is how to view it and how to align my system to receive it!

I understand that you may have believed because I mentioned that I was taken advantage of by an unscrupulous installer who promised to give me the best system in Europe and instead wound up just ****ing me, literally and figuratively, out of my money that I am against satellite installers but I am not. He may thing he made money from that act of treachery and disloyalty to his statements, honour and client but I would say he made nothing at all!

The prior actions of that thieving installer are solely his and not those attributable to anyone else least of all to those honest installers out there that his actions have sullied! When I have finally learned enough not to be taken advantage of again, I hope to figure out what system. And exactly what to instruct the new installer and how to chose a better installer and satellite system!

I am grateful to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and educating me on Satellite systems!

Sincerely
Doc

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
Yes, it can not be opposite. That is very small difference of orbital position and you almost not see difference, especially when reception is on small antenna like T90.
Secondly, I think you go too deep in technical details, it is not necessary at all IMHO. You also wish to have everything at once, and that is also impossible....for several reasons, including as already mentioned financial implications.
If motorized antenna is an option than I would say go for:
- 1 x toroidal antenna with 10 LNBs on it (I've mentioned before). This antenna will cover majority of your needs, cuz all more important satellites will be exactly those 10! Forget about 2 x toroidal antennas with 16 LNBs on each, it is impossible at your location.
- Install (ask somebody to install) 1 x 1,8m motorized dish on your yard's pole. This antenna will give you rest of channels you can not get from toroidal.
Of course there will be some limitations, such as- from motorized antenna you will be able to watch channels only on one of the TVs.

a) What is a IMHO?

b) Actually, I love the 'technical' side as it allows me to research and be more cognisant in the language, terms and descriptions necessary to converse knowledgeably and ask more questions necessary to achieve a robust installed system so do not refrain from discussing subjects in a technical sense or you can use metaphor as previously explain by in the spotlight theory, it all helps!

c) There is no concern in finical expenditure if I achieve my goal in obtaining the system access necessary to give me all the channels I am seeking! I only mentioned the prior amount because it was exorbitant in my opinion for the installation he has completed which only has 3 LNB's mounted!

d) Ok, now I think I understand what you are saying!

e) You are saying that the 10 LNB's you have stated when focused on the ten satellites it will give me access to all the 'main' channels I need?

f) Just how many channels would that be approximately?

g) The EyeTV (one of the 4 tuners connected to the system) indicates over 6000 scrambles and free to air stations right now. https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv/eyetv-sat and https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv/eyetv-3! The system has only 3 LNB's mounted and follows:
28.5 Astra DiSEqC number A=1
19.2 Astra DiSEqC number B=2
13E Hotbird DiSEqC number C=3

h) 1 x 1,8m motorized dish that seems so huge?

We have been badgering the Ajuntament (http://www.begur.cat/web/esp/) thats the City Hall for months to question the noise abatement ordinance and they finally agreed to a dish mounted on a pole in the my back yard on a concrete slab. However, it still has to meet code and noise abatement issues! I am exploring the possibilities of using a motor pointed at satellites more to the west of my location? By keeping the toroidal antennas with the ten LNB's you have suggested would a motorised with a more restricted movement pointing to Satellites in the west and only of a motor was available that was quiet enough at 1 meter to meet the local rules, would that solve any of my problems! I spoke to a English language installer yesterday and he told me that I should point a dedicated satellite antenna at 28.2 ° E for English language stations and then point the toroidal antennas at the remainder of the satellites needed?

Is that good advice?

Sincerest thanks
Doc Sarah

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
a) What is a IMHO?

We have been badgering the Ajuntament (http://www.begur.cat/web/esp/) thats the City Hall for months to question the noise abatement ordinance and they finally agreed to a dish mounted on a pole in the my back yard on a concrete slab. However, it still has to meet code and noise abatement issues! I am exploring the possibilities of using a motor pointed at satellites more to the west of my location? By keeping the toroidal antennas with the ten LNB's you have suggested would a motorised with a more restricted movement pointing to Satellites in the west and only of a motor was available that was quiet enough at 1 meter to meet the local rules, would that solve any of my problems! I spoke to a English language installer yesterday and he told me that I should point a dedicated satellite antenna at 28.2 ° E for English language stations and then point the toroidal antennas at the remainder of the satellites needed?

Is that good advice?

Sincerest thanks
Doc Sarah

In My Humble/honest Opinion

That sounds like decent advice:)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
IMHO means "in my humble opinion".
Speaking about lots of technical things but without practically doing them not always make sense. It is like playing piano- you can not learn to play it by only reading and speaking about play, you should touch keyboard anyway.
But you mentioned in the very beginning that somebody will do installation for you. That why I think that speaking about antenna installation without touching antenna it is only speaking. No need for that, IMHO again.
From 1o satellites I mentioned you will probably be able to scan 8000, maybe 10000 services (encrypted, FTA, Radio, data). But what those services give to you? Channels you are most interest in are all located satellites in that 10 you will be receiving. And that is all about hardware. To actually see channels on your TV screen it is software and nothing to do with antenna's installation.
1.8m antenna is bigger than T90, but it is not huge, everything is relative. By using 1.8m antenna you will be able to get more channels and will not be so dependent on weather conditions.
If antenna is located on the pole in the middle of the garden than noise of actuator will probably not be annoying.

mariust5

Specialist Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cristor Atlas 100HD , motorised 1.1 Triax on Stab H-H
My Location
hastings , uk
The problem you have there is the noise , as has been said before you best get a motorised 1.2m serious dish , and if money is no object find a silent motor , they do exist , minimal noise .

There are not that many providers that have hardcore stuff on them and most are on easy to get satellites and a lot of them are sharing the same channels , for example you can find that Hustler TV on DigiTV 1W for example shows the same stuff as the one on Dolce TV on 39E , so you will need minimal subscriptions to get all the stuff , it's a case of sitting down one day and sort them all out .

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
what you need is an honest installer to visit you and go through the pro,s and con,s of what you require then after you have chosen the system to meet your requirements have it installed. maybe a professional installer on here can recommend someone for you.

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
what you need is an honest installer to visit you and go through the pro,s and con,s of what you require then after you have chosen the system to meet your requirements have it installed. maybe a professional installer on here can recommend someone for you.

I agree!

However, I live in a wealthy expatriate community surrounded mostly by unethical opportunist!

I am consulting an installer from as far away as Barcelona as they are regulated and seem to be more honest, besides that is where most of the suppliers have their businesses!

It is my hope to qualify much of what he has to say, including his proposal to ‘fix” my system, with you guy’s here in this forum.

At a minimum I will express some of the theories and ideas discussed here will be put to him/her or them when I find a competent installer willing to drive out here and correct everything.

In the interim I will continue to learn and research. Than you for your advice!

Dr. Sarah

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Mod Note: Not sure why this Topic has slid off the rails, but can all contributors stick to Satellite related issues only, please.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^^ As my polite request above was ignored, I have (Not for the first time) removed a number of Posts that added nothing to the Topic.

A little light humour is always acceptable, but descent into bickering is not.

Doc Sarah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Brava Spain
The problem you have there is the noise , as has been said before you best get a motorised 1.2m serious dish , and if money is no object find a silent motor , they do exist , minimal noise .

There are not that many providers that have hardcore stuff on them and most are on easy to get satellites and a lot of them are sharing the same channels , for example you can find that Hustler TV on DigiTV 1W for example shows the same stuff as the one on Dolce TV on 39E , so you will need minimal subscriptions to get all the stuff , it's a case of sitting down one day and sort them all out .

Where would I begin to look for a "Silent or Low Noise" mortised satellite antenna! Further, if there a larger Toroidal Satellites Antenna anywhere on the market and what is your opinion about a Siamese Toroidal Satellites Antenna system consisting of two antennas back to back, one facing East and the other West? You have been so helpful, a gentleman and I am grateful for your attention to my questions!

Thanks again!