Why linux?

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
So with blind scan - if I am reading this correctly - you can scan everything in one go and you do not need to go theough a list of sats one at a time.
Is this correct - it saves time.

Also if I stick a another box into the same lead from the lnb which a current sky setup is being beamed on - is there a chance you will pick up more channels or forgein onces - I read somewhere sky boxes something limited the amount of channels comming and only show whats on their box listing. Not sure if this is correct as my sky contract is finishing and I plan to stick my replacement box onto that sky dish with the lnb already setup.

Going to be on this while I get that T90 up - this weekend's rain put be behind.

cheers V

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
godzillafan said:
So with blind scan - if I am reading this correctly - you can scan everything in one go and you do not need to go theough a list of sats one at a time.

Also if I stick a another box into the same lead from the lnb which a current sky setup is being beamed on - is there a chance you will pick up more channels or forgein onces - I read somewhere sky boxes something limited the amount of channels comming and only show whats on their box listing.

cheers V

No - apart from a couple of channels testing prior to launch all channels on 28E are already available on the Sky epg.

Just about the only exceptions are the other ITV regions, (and since the ITV regions amalgamated theres very little difference these days)

And advert sub regions for C4 & C5 - and those only have minor differences in what the adverts are.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
No. A blind scan is one complete satellite, or just part of the band on one satellite, not multi satellites.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
cheers guys for the info

the twin vs single issue

if you have no aerial setup in the house and only have all channels via a sat link

would you need a twin or single

also if you want to record a channel and watch anothewr can that be done on a single tuner?

I have no aerial only a sat setup - getting confused with the twin and single - is the twin for aerial or for watching one channel and recording another?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
the twin vs single issue

if you have no aerial setup in the house and only have all channels via a sat link

would you need a twin or single

also if you want to record a channel and watch anothewr can that be done on a single tuner?

I have no aerial only a sat setup - getting confused with the twin and single - is the twin for aerial or for watching one channel and recording another?
For the receivers mentioned (Vu+ Duo & ET9000) twin tuner means 2 satellite tuners. If you want terrestrial too you can add a Nova T USB stick (I bought a second hand one for a fiver off eBay). That makes it 3 tuners. Each tuner means you can access 1 multiplex. Each multiplex has up to 10 channels on it. So a single tuner receiver can record and display more than one channel if both are on the same multiplex (for example BBC 1 HD and ITV 1 HD are both on 10847 V so with a single tuner receiver you could watch/record/stream both of those channels at the same time).

So if you don't want to be stuck with the "no free tuner" message because the missus is recording Coronation Street you need a twin tuner receiver.

Oh, and don't forget, if you have 2 tuners you will need 2 aerial systems. In your case when you get the T90 set up this just means adding a few twin LNBs to your most used positions. Here I've got a motorised dish on my second tuner and it is set up so first tuner is priority (for fast zapping).

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
For the receivers mentioned (Vu+ Duo & ET9000) twin tuner means 2 satellite tuners. If you want terrestrial too you can add a Nova T USB stick (I bought a second hand one for a fiver off eBay). That makes it 3 tuners. Each tuner means you can access 1 multiplex. Each multiplex has up to 10 channels on it. So a single tuner receiver can record and display more than one channel if both are on the same multiplex (for example BBC 1 HD and ITV 1 HD are both on 10847 V so with a single tuner receiver you could watch/record/stream both of those channels at the same time).

So if you don't want to be stuck with the "no free tuner" message because the missus is recording Coronation Street you need a twin tuner receiver.

Oh, and don't forget, if you have 2 tuners you will need 2 aerial systems. In your case when you get the T90 set up this just means adding a few twin LNBs to your most used positions. Here I've got a motorised dish on my second tuner and it is set up so first tuner is priority (for fast zapping).

Cheers H

I dont have a aerial and dont really plan to get since the sats will do it all

you know my setup case - the T90 is with me - the 16 single smarts are on route (checked the german couier link from the shop).
if I keep my old sky dish up and leave the already setup of the lnb - I think it will be on 28e (I think sky is on that or is it 19?)

I can link all the 16 singles into 1 turner and I can then stick the sky dish into a 2nd turner

but I can record one item and watch another on the T90 link

can I do the same with the 2nd turner -

meaning I can record 2 items and watch a third on a twin but only record one and watch one on a single

is this correct or I am totally off.

Just wondering if a twin is worth it, if a sinlge will let you record 1 and watch one

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As a general rule, one tuner will give you one channel at a time to record or watch, there are circumstances whereby you can watch one and record another on a single tuner, but they both have to be on the same satellite, polarity and band. What you are proposing is quite a complex set up, so you need to understand some of the basic concepts.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
there are circumstances whereby you can watch one and record another on a single tuner, but they both have to be on the same satellite, polarity and band.
That is loop through, i.e. you still need 2 tuners, but only one downlead from the LNB. With a single tuner the channels all have to be on the same transponder (multiplex). Just being on the same band and polarity is not enough.

Scenario one: single tuner, recording BBC One HD. The only channels that aren't greyed out (i.e. are accessible) are BBC One HD, ITV 1 HD and BBC HD, all of which are on the same transponder.
single-tuner.jpg

Scenario two: loop through (two tuners, but only one downlead), recording BBC One HD. Here the accessible channels are ones on the same band and polarity, i.e. now we've got BBC 2, ITV2/3/4, etc.
loop-through.jpg

Scenario three: two tuners feed by two downleads, recording BBC One HD. Here all channels have become accessible irrespective of band and polarity.
two-tuners-two-lnbs.jpg

gazzag67

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows7 PC
Sky+
Xtrend et900 HD Linux Twin Tuner PRV, 1TB internal + 1TB external HDD's,
1 Fixed dish.
LG 50PK590 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma Internet TV
My Location
Shropshier
Thats why wanted a twin tuner as i dont want to be limited to 1 transponder if there are 2 things i want to record on different tp's. I thought it was the combos that offered 1 s2 and 1 t1 tuners. I have freesat hd built in to my tv so i could still watch this if the other s2's are recording.

Would the USB Nova T stick allow me to plug areal in to twin clarktech and record from 3 inputs? or would it just allow me to view as my tv does.

Also, roughly how many usefull channels would i pick up with a motorised dish instead of fixed? im guessing you could only wach/record Programs off the same sat at once?

Im getting in to this now :p

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Yeah, you could record from all 3. Was looking at getting a DVB-T adaptor.

You can only record channels off the same satellite you're on. I run a different setup with the Sky dish on one tuner and a switch with four satellites (including Sky) on the others can still record/watch Sky when I'm watching/recording something foreign. This may be updated by replacing the Sky dish input with going straight to the motor so that it has all the satellites plus the other ones stationary for recording.

That might be something worth looking into but it costs a bit more, I built mine up over the last year, mainly from relatives getting their minidishes replaced!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
gazzag67 said:
Would the USB Nova T stick allow me to plug areal in to twin clarktech and record from 3 inputs?
Yes, but in the UK only SD channels.

gazzag67 said:
roughly how many usefull channels would i pick up with a motorised dish instead of fixed?
Depends what you mean by useful.

gazzag67 said:
im guessing you could only wach/record Programs off the same sat at once?
The ideal is a fixed twin output LNB on each of the satellites you want to record from. Next best thing is two motorised dishes. With either of these you can record from any satellite while watching any other.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
cheers Guys

so here is my setup problem.

most of the guys know its a T90 with 16 smart singles and a emp 16/1.

single vs twin - this is the new problem

I would like to rec one and watch another since my 5 year old is bound to complain.

I have sky dish up with the contract finishing and I guess I will get free channels only

I can keep that up and use that lead

I have 16/1 leads coming into a lead

So thats either 16/1 and and a single.

Do I put 16/1 into main feed and then the single sky into the 2nd feed if I go for a twin

what will this lead to with regards to recording watching?

Or just the 16/1 into a single

Reason I ask if there is no much gain - would I be better off just with a single?

In your hands as as long as I can get a record function the family will be happy - I know it will make sense to get a twin for the future proof.

I have no twins as I have invested in single lnbs.

Any help - as I thought the record functions were build into the sat unit - the transponder point threw everything I read up to date out of the window.

cheers Vik

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
Do I put 16/1 into main feed and then the single sky into the 2nd feed if I go for a twin

Have you got 28ºE as one of you positions on the T90? If yes: plug the Sky dish in tuner B and the T90 in tuner A. Set tuner A as the priority tuner.

With this setup, if you want to record from 28ºE put the channel being viewed to something different than you want to record and then start the recording from the EPG. That will make the recording start on tuner B, which means you will still be able to watch channels from all satellites while the recording is in progress, whereas if you start the recording from a channel you are already watching the recording will start on tuner A, leaving you only able to watch channels from 28ºE until your recording finishes. If the box is doing a timer recording from standby the recording will be done on tuner A, so you will only be able to access 28ºE channels for the duration of that recording.

The other option long term is motorise one of your other dishes and stick that in tuner B... Or start adding twin LNBs to the T90 along with another 16:1 switch.

In a perfect world you would have 2 identical aerial systems, but that's just not practical for most people, unless they want to end up divorced.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Menu -> Setup -> System -> Customize -> Preferred tuner.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northumberland
Huevos said:
Menu -> Setup -> System -> Customize -> Preferred tuner.

It works! Thanks

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
Have you got 28ºE as one of you positions on the T90? If yes: plug the Sky dish in tuner B and the T90 in tuner A. Set tuner A as the priority tuner.

With this setup, if you want to record from 28ºE put the channel being viewed to something different than you want to record and then start the recording from the EPG. That will make the recording start on tuner B, which means you will still be able to watch channels from all satellites while the recording is in progress, whereas if you start the recording from a channel you are already watching the recording will start on tuner A, leaving you only able to watch channels from 28ºE until your recording finishes. If the box is doing a timer recording from standby the recording will be done on tuner A, so you will only be able to access 28ºE channels for the duration of that recording.

The other option long term is motorise one of your other dishes and stick that in tuner B... Or start adding twin LNBs to the T90 along with another 16:1 switch.

In a perfect world you would have 2 identical aerial systems, but that's just not practical for most people, unless they want to end up divorced.

Cheers H

the wife was already complaining about the steady stream of parcels arriving from europe, so 2 systems will be pushing it.

I guess twin turner it is and sky into B.

Planning to add another lnb (diy job) to the sky and see what happens.

cheers V

gazzag67

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows7 PC
Sky+
1 Fixed dish.
My Location
Shropshier
H have finally bought Clarke Tech et9000 as discussed and i have mannaged to set it up to the best of my abilit. I have two problems though which i hope some1 could help me with.

1. I installed a 1Tb hard drive which i checked was compatible with et9000 and the box recognizes it, however it will not let me initiallize it i get an error reading '/dev/sda1 is mounted', will not make a file system here! How do i unmount it? I tried an umout/dev/sda1 code which i found on a forum but i dont think i put it in the right place.

2. The other day i kept getting some channels reading 'Tuner not found', however they are all working today. Id this a problem with the server? or something to do with my box/setup.

Also '3.' Im running OpenPli. Is this ok? as i havent tried an alternative. Waht do others offer etc..

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
1) Is it set up as type: Linux?

2) Are you sure the message wasn't "no free tuner"?

3) I like VIX. It's based on OpenPLI. Most important thing, for me at least, is it doesn't keep crashing (green screen).

gazzag67

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows7 PC
Sky+
1 Fixed dish.
My Location
Shropshier
1) I dont know. I installed it in the box as normal. Then i formated HDD from my PC, using the HDD manager, this seemed to work as it seemed to set up a movie directory on #root-@ET9000. Then i proceded to initializin the hdd fromt he box and i get the same error mentioned above.

2) It was 'Failed to find Tuner'. I would of knows what 'no free tuner' would have meant. But this hasnt happened again so it might not be a problem now.

3) Have not had a green screen yet (touch wood). So i might leave this as it is is if there is nothing else to gain.

How do i get things like I player and web browsing?