Win 10 is a free upgrade for the first year

A nonymous

Reaction score
Thats me sorted then, Thats 4 pcs i can get free updates for :D

I have been running the Windows 10 Beta release for a few months on my laptop. If the final release is as good as the beta its should be OK. Its a damn site faster and less clunky than Windows 8 is anyway.

Nano

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As someone to whom Windows is little more than a distant and underwhelming memory, what's the gig with Windows 9? Has it really jumped from 8 to 10 or have I been asleep?

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Might be good news, when is win 10 due for release?

Will try the free upgrade on one of my buckshee PCs running win7 atm. if not satisfied can wipe the hdd with killdisk and reload win7.

Regards

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Oh this is great news. I need to get a new laptop this year but really wanted to wait for Win 10 but it looks like this could be a good compromise and I can put up with Win 8.1 for a while.

As someone to whom Windows is little more than a distant and underwhelming memory, what's the gig with Windows 9? Has it really jumped from 8 to 10 or have I been asleep?
They decided to skip Windows 9 and go straight to the big numbers.

I just hope they don't go the Firefox way or we'll be on Windows 826 within a few years...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im not sure my at least 7 year old Dell 5150 (XP) will last much longer...

Ive got a copy of win 8.1 running unregistered on an old laptop - its ok and seems to work fine apart from the nag screen on start up - which is shut down with a couple of clicks.

Maybe I'll stick 10 on it instead and have a look.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Have they done away with the awful "Metro" malarkey and given us a proper Start button back?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Best answer is - sort of.

The start button is back but there are still those bloody tiles as far as I can see.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Still have linux mint on one of my PCs just in case:D

Regards

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
I use Linux, almost exclusively, but keep Windows 7, 8 & 10 in vm "jail" they have their uses....I would never go back to using Windows as a regular OS, and although 8 & 10 aren't that bad, the whole anti-virus and malware malarky (definition updates, scans) is just too time consuming to go back to....imagine having to re-boot after every round of updates. What's that all about? Rhetorical question.
Having said all that, the Linux world is on the cusp of a very dangerous step - systemd, it's causing major rows and has the potential to render Linux as limp and vulnerable as Windows, heaven forbid. When that happens, my computer will be binned.

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I must say that I never got on with Linux as a desktop OS. It's perfect as a server one but I find the many iterations of the interface a bit klunky. I have pretty much made a transition to Mac OS X (via Hackintosh method) and am loving it.

Can't totally get away from Windows as my sat card doesn't work in Mac and my work laptop is Windows :(

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I dunno, I find Linux much easier to get on with than Windows. The interfaces now are very slick (I use KDE, makes a Mac look old fashioned) simple to use and very customisable.
I see Windows 10 has adopted an old Linux trick - multiple desktops....not as well done though.

View attachment 72582

The docks auto-hide by the way - match that M$
Sorry for going off topic.

Last edited:

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I think I'm one of the lucky/fluky few to not have an issue with Windows. I'm not denying there aren't problems out there as I've had to fix a fair few clients PCs, but I use my computer all day every day for work and don't suffer from malware and this current laptop is still running quite smoothly and fast (given its age) after 6 years of use. Never had to reinstall Windows ever (since first start using Windows 95 in 1997 the only new installs have been when buying a new PC). There have been a couple of small hiccups, like a dodgy bit of memory and the odd blue screen when a driver update screws up, but that's happened less than once a year and it's always been fixable if you know what you are doing. And I never bother to defrag the hard disk or use optimisation tools. I tried CCleaner once about 10 years ago, it screwed up a load of settings and never tried it again.

Having said that, all hell will break loose now and I'll be spending the rest of the day fixing Windows... ;)

I'm planning to buy a new laptop in the next few months with Windows 8.1 on it. Let's hope I can carry on fluking it. :unsure

PS. I also have a Lumia phone with Win Phone 8.1 on it and really like it.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Having said that, all hell will break loose now and I'll be spending the rest of the day fixing Windows... ;)

Yep, totally jinxed it now! :-doh

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Saw this quote in a thread over on the Linux Mint Forums

It REALLY doesn't matter one way or another. WIN and Redmond have seen their "day in the sun" and it's over!

"Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition."

That amused me.