Woohoo, I got my 1.8m :D but...

Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#1
So, I went to get my 1.8m dish today (unknown manufacturer) :)

Got quite a few dodgy looks from people as I was driving with it tied to the roof of a Fiat estate though ;)

The LNB which came with it is made by Nokia... and it's not like anything I've seen on a 'domestic' dish before... It's quite long, the cable fits onto the back, and it doesn't have a feedhorn cap - but an exposed, blue "pepper-pot" with a couple of steel rings around it. Also it has a power cable... I'm just wondering - Has anyone used these Nokia LNBs before, and - does anyone know if an external power source is required - or would the power from the receiver be sufficient? :)

I'll post some pics soon too, maybe after I've touched up the paint-work as it's started to peel :'(


Thanks in advance,

Deek.
 

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Messages
1,752
Likes
5
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
#2
I know the LNB, its blue right?

It was a very common LNB in the late 80's, around 2dB NF.

I would love to see the dish, you got any pics?
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#3
Hey Likvid :)

It's all white, comprising of 3 sections (the circular nozzel/feed, a cylinder where the power is fed, and a rectangular back piece for the coax :)

Sure, I'll try and take some pics now - Just need to find software for the camera - so will post some soon :)
 

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
Messages
9,399
Likes
1,698
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
#4
bombuzal said:
Sure, I'll try and take some pics now - Just need to find software for the camera - so will post some soon :)
Try h--p://www.driverguide.com and the username "driver2" and pass "all" (apparantly that's what all users seem to be given...)
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#5
Hehe thanks - The driver's not needed as the Firewire card is generic and recognised by Windows, just need to find my CD with teh camcorder software :)
 

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
Messages
9,399
Likes
1,698
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
#6
bombuzal said:
Hehe thanks - The driver's not needed as the Firewire card is generic and recognised by Windows, just need to find my CD with teh camcorder software :)
Firewire's been in Windows since 98SE I think...

Can't wait to see this old dish of yours.... :D

And a Fiat??? :-rofl2
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#7
Hehe, I forgot the software I usually use for retreiving "snapshots" took with the cam doesn't like Win2000 - so please excuse the quality of these as they're screenshots from AVIs lol ;)

Here is a few pics of the Dish from the front, side, back and the LNB :)

(I can't wait to paint it, it looks a bit scabby ;p)

Front
View attachment 6347


LNB
View attachment 6348


Side
View attachment 6349


Back
View attachment 6350



Do you think that LNB will be near-useless for modern digital systems then? ;)
 

Attachments

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
Messages
9,399
Likes
1,698
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
#8
bombuzal said:
Do you think that LNB will be near-useless for modern digital systems then? ;)
Probablys, let's hope it's just a C120 feedhorn so you can slap a modern universal LNB onto it!!! :D

Are there any labels on the LNB stating LO frequencies??
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#9
Hehehe, thought as much - I had a quick scan earlier for Hotbird and Thor but the SNR remained at 50% whatever I did ;) I really hope I can fix a modern, universal LNB onto it :-doh! :D - I'll have a looky soon.

Nope, nothing at all - which is strange (apart from "NOKIA Consumer Electronics").. I suspect the rectangular part had a label on it at some point though lol.
 

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
Messages
9,399
Likes
1,698
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
#10
bombuzal said:
Hehehe, thought as much - I had a quick scan earlier for Hotbird and Thor but the SNR remained at 50% whatever I did ;) I really hope I can fix a modern, universal LNB onto it :-doh! :D - I'll have a looky soon.

Nope, nothing at all - which is strange (apart from "NOKIA Consumer Electronics").. I suspect the rectangular part had a label on it at some point though lol.
Could be an old single band LNB, could be a C-Band LNB, but the clever guys will tell you that!!!! :D

Probably fell off or peeled off....
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#11
lol, yeah :/

Oh well - I'll preserve it in a carcophagus with the UNIVAC, and some 80s hardware lol
 

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
Messages
9,399
Likes
1,698
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
#12
bombuzal said:
Oh well - I'll preserve it in a carcophagus with the UNIVAC, and some 80s hardware lol
With the what??? :confused
 

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Messages
14,407
Likes
3,363
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
#13
The cylinder behind the feedhorn is a magnetic polariser for changing H and V polarity.
You need a polariser output from your receiver for this.

Llew
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#16
Ah, Thanks Llew :)
 
R

Rd100

Guest
#17
Yes what ever you do not throw the polariser away i will take it off your hands
Llew said:
The cylinder behind the feedhorn is a magnetic polariser for changing H and V polarity.
You need a polariser output from your receiver for this.

Llew
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#18
Hehe, I won't :-)

You don't happen to know an easy (lol) way to attach a universal LNB to that kind of fitting? The support beams aren't exactly a fixed size so don't want to piss around too much - they're basically a large bolt going through the tubes with washers at each end ;x The hole in the plate is too small to squeeze a universal LNB into, and too tough to cut, bend and insert one :(

ta :)
 

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
Messages
9,399
Likes
1,698
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
#19
bombuzal said:
You don't happen to know an easy (lol) way to attach a universal LNB to that kind of fitting? The support beams aren't exactly a fixed size so don't want to piss around too much - they're basically a large bolt going through the tubes with washers at each end ;x The hole in the plate is too small to squeeze a universal LNB into, and too tough to cut, bend and insert one :(

ta :)
If it has a C120 flange, just take off the current LNB and fit a C120 LNB rather than a 40mm clamp LNB...

Does it have 4 or 8 equally spaced nuts or screws on either side of the polariser? Can't really tell from your pics....

EDIT:
By the way, DON'T damage the plate the LNB's bolted to, it's all precisely shaped and one bend and you could end up losing performance of your dish once you update the LNB...
 
Messages
41
Likes
2
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox 3 and
DreamBox 500-s w/ Gemini 2.90; Metronic 90cm and unknown 1.8m dish.

Sitting on Sirius, Astra2 & Thor/Intelsat 10-02.
My Location
Newcastle, UK
#20
Ah, thanks very much - I've only ever had LNBs which use clamps, so thank god I asked here before mutilating the plate hehe :)

The polariser was(I've took it off now ;) fixed to the plate (and end nozzile) with 2 screws - but there is space for 4 (though, on the plate - the inner rim was broken/open at 2 of the holes). :)


Deek.
 
Top