Advice Needed Simple & Effective Card or Box for Feeds

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Only my opinion but I don't think that dish will fit on any motor with a conventional (downward facing) stub unless spacers are fitted to relocate the bracket further away from the motor stub. I still wouldn't advise anyone to use a large all steel dish on a disecq motor. My Laminas dish is fibreglass with a steel bracket and as I hinted, located in a sheltered spot against a south facing wall. I think I've been very lucky not to strip the motor gears thus far but it's a risk I'm prepared to take.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Couldn't agree more, Pete.

TD110 on a DiSEqC H-H Motor is an edgy beast: I wasn't at all happy to leave mine up on T&Ks on the wall and it now sits on a very sheltered Patio Mount instead.

The motor still has to work harder than is decent.

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD SE, Dreambox 500S, Skybox F5S, 90cm Solid Dish, Tm2600 Motor, Inverto Black Ultra LNB! :)
My Location
Lost...
Only my opinion but I don't think that dish will fit on any motor with a conventional (downward facing) stub unless spacers are fitted to relocate the bracket further away from the motor stub. I still wouldn't advise anyone to use a large all steel dish on a disecq motor. My Laminas dish is fibreglass with a steel bracket and as I hinted, located in a sheltered spot against a south facing wall. I think I've been very lucky not to strip the motor gears thus far but it's a risk I'm prepared to take.

to be honest you guys probably have a lot more experience then me when it comes to dishes and setups,
thats why im asking these questions,
i think i will still ask the seller and see what he says....

Couldn't agree more, Pete.

TD110 on a DiSEqC H-H Motor is an edgy beast: I wasn't at all happy to leave mine up on T&Ks on the wall and it now sits on a very sheltered Patio Mount instead.

The motor still has to work harder than is decent.

that was another dish i thought of getting the triax td110,
but going from 90cm to 1 meter, dont know if it would make a huge difference

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
I don't think you'd see much difference just making a step up of 10 or 20cm actually. There would be a small difference obviously but you'd end up thinking, "wonder what a 1.2M would get?" and you'd have sort of wasted your cash on the interim dish.

I don't think there is a distributor of Laminas dishes in the UK. An English guy works for them in Poland as I had a reply email from him ages ago

http://www.laminas.com.pl/

The firm where I got mine from (in France) is

http://www.2galli.fr/boutique/liste_rayons.cfm

I'm fairly sure they'd ship to the UK but not sure how cheap an option it might be...

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD SE, Dreambox 500S, Skybox F5S, 90cm Solid Dish, Tm2600 Motor, Inverto Black Ultra LNB! :)
My Location
Lost...
your right, i'll want more if i just get 1 meter one lol

i've sent the seller a message questioning what type of motor it takes,
will wait and see what he says...

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
hey peeps just a quick update,
i got an email back from the seller of that faval dish,
i did question if it can fit on my tm2600 motor and the reply i got was
'Hi, yes you can use the motor with the dish but you will require a polar bracket to fit the motor.'
im not going to go for that dish, i just thought i should at least ask the question...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It may physically fit, but it would degrade the motor and shorten its life.

Last edited:

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
It may physically fit, but it would degrade the motor and shorten its life.

yea not worth it, also a bit long winded...

mephisto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TBS 5925 DVB-S2 TV Tuner USB
Dreambox 500S
Vantage X221S CICX
Samsung DSR 9500 VIACI
Echostar AD 3000 IP
1,2m offset dish w/polarmount
Inverto Black Ultra lnb 0.2 db
Actuator Superjack 12"
55°E - 30°W
My Location
Uzice, Serbia
An 12" or 18" superjack actuator will fulfill your requirements, much better solution than diseqc for its wind blowing stability, durability, better for return the dish from end positions. I am driving mine 12" superjack since 1996 with no problems, the only thing that eventually became a little noisier with time and thats, by me, the only advantage of diseqc motors over actuators.

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
An 12" or 18" superjack actuator will fulfill your requirements, much better solution than diseqc for its wind blowing stability, durability, better for return the dish from end positions. I am driving mine 12" superjack since 1996 with no problems, the only thing that eventually became a little noisier with time and thats, by me, the only advantage of diseqc motors over actuators.

to be honest i've never installed a dish with actuator so wouldn't know where to start,
i was hoping to get a bigger dish and just put it onto the existing tm2600 motor i have,
the 90cm generic dish has served me well, just feel like i need a bit more pulling power lol

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I'm getting a bit stuck on what to advise here. When I began this obsession (sorry hobby) I began with a motorised set up and went 60cm then 88cm to 1M and finally to the 1.2m I have now. It's clear to me now that the 1.2M operates with a lot of good fortune. Given my knowledge now and starting again I'd probably go down the polar mount and jack arm route, though I'd probably jump to a bigger dish LOL.

The drawback with a jackarm is that you need an extra bit of equipment to control it and supply the 36v rather than the lesser voltage supplied from a receiver to drive a diseqc motor. However a jack arm is more robust and windproof as it were. The choice is up to you. I've never set up a polar mount and jack arm but it can't be too much more complex than a diseqc motor. Whichever you choose you can count on advice and support from this forum.

Incidentally, I've never seen a polar mount which fits onto a diseqc motor.........but I guess you've decided not to go with that dish anyway....

cat010

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
xtrend 9200,dm 500hd
My Location
uk
ihave had a faval 1m dish and a tm 2600 motor and i been working fine for 4 years its above the roof line at the gable end in warwickhire

mephisto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
Vantage X221S CICX
Samsung DSR 9500 VIACI
Echostar AD 3000 IP
Actuator Superjack 12"
55°E - 30°W
My Location
Uzice, Serbia
For an actuator you will need a stand alone positioner or an older SD receiver with built-in positioner. Then you have to set the limits on actuator with two screw bolts that lies under the cover of chassis, one needs to unscrew when the arm (or telescope) of the actuator is almost pulled in and the other to unscrew when the telescope is almost pulled out to the end. Then you have to make connections with the motor and sensor connectors between your actuator and positioner, and thats the trickier part of the job, for which you have to ask someone else, because I am totally inexperienced, I have seen how it works only once, back in 1996 when setting up my system, so now I am speak from memory. To attach actuator to a dish and set the whole system properly is much, much easier part of the job.

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
ihave had a faval 1m dish and a tm 2600 motor and i been working fine for 4 years its above the roof line at the gable end in warwickhire

how do you rate the dish mate?

For an actuator you will need a stand alone positioner or an older SD receiver with built-in positioner. Then you have to set the limits on actuator with two screw bolts that lies under the cover of chassis, one needs to unscrew when the arm (or telescope) of the actuator is almost pulled in and the other to unscrew when the telescope is almost pulled out to the end. Then you have to make connections with the motor and sensor connectors between your actuator and positioner, and thats the trickier part of the job, for which you have to ask someone else, because I am totally inexperienced, I have seen how it works only once, back in 1996 when setting up my system, so now I am speak from memory. To attach actuator to a dish and set the whole system properly is much, much easier part of the job.

sounds complicated lol

mephisto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
Vantage X221S CICX
Samsung DSR 9500 VIACI
Echostar AD 3000 IP
Actuator Superjack 12"
55°E - 30°W
My Location
Uzice, Serbia
Agree with you, but only for the first part, the second is piece of cake lol

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
if you go to a TD110 and a darkmotor you will see decent improvements/weather margin over your current 90cm dish and if used with a inverto black ultra imo its about the best combo set up with a TM5402HD for general feedhunting and watching tv for decent cash outlay. ATM i use a TD110 on a stab120 on an exposed over the gutter arrangment and it never misses a beat even after the 100mph winds we had last year. cant give any advice on the dish but the price should tell you all you need to know as its a third of the price of a gibby 1.25 or a quarter andrew 1.20m

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
if you go to a TD110 and a darkmotor you will see decent improvements/weather margin over your current 90cm dish and if used with a inverto black ultra imo its about the best combo set up with a TM5402HD for general feedhunting and watching tv for decent cash outlay. ATM i use a TD110 on a stab120 on an exposed over the gutter arrangment and it never misses a beat even after the 100mph winds we had last year. cant give any advice on the dish but the price should tell you all you need to know as its a third of the price of a gibby 1.25 or a quarter andrew 1.20m

im using the inverto black lnb at the moment,
dont see the point in changing my motor from tm2600 to dark motor
when its going to do the same job and its working fine anyway,
and not sure if triax td110 will make a big difference, which is my only concern about getting that one...

i've just pulled in 4w for the first time this evening with this generic 90cm dish im using,
as an option im considering maybe just buying a generic 1.2m dish from the shop where i got my 90cm one from
its just an idea, not something im defo going to do...

im also considering whether the tm5402hd is worth the extra money compared to the skybox,
i obviously want a sensitive tuner but the speed of the blind scanning is very important to me,
so far im edging towards the skybox...

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
hey peeps, im hoping to go to a couple of satellite shops when i get a chance to check out some dishes,
im sure that one of the shops sells the 1.3m 'eurostar' dishes,
just wondering if they are any good?
im not keen on the white colour lol

i did a search and found this thread about the 1.3 m eurostar,
like the fact its on a diseqc motor and according to the OP doesnt weigh too much,
mind you i do appreciate its an old thread...
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/eurostar-1-3m-on-diseq-motor.89605/

Last edited:

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
depends on how good it is at its job but id bet its not much better than a TD110.... usually if you buy cheap you will buy twice m8 but i guess the only way you will find out is get one and see how it performs unless another member can advise you on how they perform

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
depends on how good it is at its job but id bet its not much better than a TD110.... usually if you buy cheap you will buy twice m8 but i guess the only way you will find out is get one and see how it performs unless another member can advise you on how they perform

ideally whatever i get id like to just pop it on my tm2600 motor,
part of me thinks maybe i might be better just getting a triax td110 or 1m gibertini,
or even one of those 1m orbital dishes,
instead of one these not so well known 1.2 meter dishes
oh yea one of the local sat shops sells the triax td110 dish for £50,
which i think is a really good price,
i just want to make sure i get a good dish and dont want to make the wrong decision