Are there any multi LNB clamps....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Why, Hotbird is brobably the weakest.

PS. You shouldn't need to drill anything, you should be able to fit the bracket over the top.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
rolfw said:
Why, Hotbird is brobably the weakest.

Well, I was thinking that the weight of a single and a Twin/Quad LNB plus cable would cause the LNB's to slip, and as it's going up where I only wish to go up once (I have a fear of heights) I don't want it to happen once I have it all fitted......

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Providing the bracket is solid enough it should be OK and most of the cable weight is taken by the boom.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
rolfw said:
Providing the bracket is solid enough it should be OK and most of the cable weight is taken by the boom.

Well, if you say so I'll give it a try (as soon as I raise enough cash to get all the parts I need)...

It'll be quite a complicated setup though, the 3 LNB's will go into a DiSEqC switch (along with another dish which will go on the front of the house for 5w), 1 cable will go straight to a sky box (and if I get a quad LNB I'll add a proper dual tuner PVR on the other 2 outputs) and I'll have my indoor dish on a 2 into manual switch with the output from the DiSEqC switch so everything will stay connected to one box.... :D

I'll use CT63 between the outdoor dishes and the DiSEqC switch and CT100 between the LNB to sky box (with CT63 to PVR if I get a Quad and a PVR) and DiSEqC switch to proper box, I already have CT100 on the indoor dish....

bluesarecrap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1000d (patched) 90cm technomate dish pointing at hotbird 13e
My Location
birmingham UK
why dont you just get a motor?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bluesarecrap said:
why dont you just get a motor?

I will, when sky digiboxes have the option to control them.... :-rofl2 :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Also, I can't because I don't have the money to get one or the patience to set one up.....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I had a thought, those really cheap 0.2dB and 0.1dB LNB's on eBay, are they really genuine? Do they actually have that low noise? I did ask one of the sellers if it came with a bucket of Liquid helium to get them to below 0.3dB noise but this is the reply I got:

no its based on high IC gain technology .
regards

:-rofl2

High Intergrated Circuit Gain technology?????

EDIT:
Like this monstrosity:
SMART-0-1-DB-the-Latest-and-Strongsst-Universal-LNB

(I did start a thread on DS about these red & green things, was rather amusing....)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately most of the Ebay sellers simply shift boxes and know nothing about what they sell, aside from what they are told.

There is an excellent technical article on LNB noise I've read somewhere, which explains why the claims of noise figures below 0.3db can not be possible.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Unfortunately most of the Ebay sellers simply shift boxes and know nothing about what they sell, aside from what they are told.

There is an excellent technical article on LNB noise I've read somewhere, which explains why the claims of noise figures below 0.3db can not be possible.

I wouldn't mind sending the sellers the link to that article... :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I only wish I still had it. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
I only wish I still had it. :)

I thought it would have been on Satcure, but that's just on LNB's themselves and not the Noise figure limitations....

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Have sent the writer a PM to ask if he still has it.

Don't fall for the myth, mainly propogated by the owner of the company under various guises, that satcure is the definitive satellite guide, it is simply another satellite retailer. I am constantly surprised that Digital Spy, whilst not allowing anyone to make a link to, or mention another forum, allow constant marketing of a satellite retailer by its owner, only thinly wrapped up in answers to questions..

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Have sent the writer a PM to ask if he still has it.

Don't fall for the myth, mainly propogated by the owner of the company under various guises, that satcure is the definitive satellite guide, it is simply another satellite retailer. I am constantly surprised that Digital Spy, whilst not allowing anyone to make a link to, or mention another forum, allow constant marketing of a satellite retailer by its owner, only thinly wrapped up in answers to questions..

I know what you mean, the link to my forum has been banned on DS (mainly because I set it up after I got kicked off for slagging off one of the moderators), but I don't consider Satcure to be the definative guide, just a source of useful information, but the best guides come from those who have done it themselves, hence why I joined here.... :D

Although I have to admit, Satcure does sell some stuff for rather high prices compared to eBay sellers, it's just eBay doesn't seem to have any Shelley clamps (which I'll need 2 of when sticking my new dish up on the chimney).....

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, the old 8 nut clamp, absolutely horrible and prone to slipping, see if you can find a different solution, the more you tighten them, the more the plates bend and the less secure they become.

If your dish accepts a horizontal pole entry, then get one made up which can fit straight into a cradle mount, or are you thinking of attaching to an existing mast?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Ah, the old 8 nut clamp, absolutely horrible and prone to slipping, see if you can find a different solution, the more you tighten them, the more the plates bend and the less secure they become.

If your dish accepts a horizontal pole entry, then get one made up which can fit straight into a cradle mount, or are you thinking of attaching to an existing mast?

That's why I want to get 2, double the strength, and yes I'll be using the existing aerial pole (looks to be very well fitted, a rarity round here!!!) as I can't do any "structual" work on the house. The pole that came with the dish is an "L" shape (with a bend in it, not a 45degree mitred & welded one), but on the bracket it looks like it can accept an AZ/EL mount, but I don't know where to get a compatible one though....

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I guess two should give you a better lock, I have been forced to use them myself on occasions. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Well I guess two should give you a better lock, I have been forced to use them myself on occasions. :)

Well, I proved my point to myself that I'll need two, because if I held the dish up with one hand, it put a lot of strain on my wrist, however if I use both hands it's a lot easier on both, and if I had a third hand it probably would be even easier!!! :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, a third hand, the dream of every satellite dish installer. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
LOL, a third hand, the dream of every satellite dish installer. :)

If only.... :-rofl2

If I didn't have an injured back I'd consider going into satellite dish installations, assuming I got over my fear of heights......

Anyway, I'm going to take the dish face off one of my minidishes because, me being me, I tripped over my new 60cm dish and landed on the minidish leaving it with a bit of a dent, luckily a while ago I found a load of minidishes and parts in a skip and have 8 dishplates down in the cellar.... :D