Astra 2d..South Sweden, which size dish please!

R

roti01

Hi Corrigap,

Thanks for the tip about the cable, is this what Maplin call their 'low loss' cable? I will get some next time I am in the UK - I am in Höllviken by the way.....

rgds,

roti01 :)

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
roti01 said:
By the way thanks for the nettopris info lazydave - are they any good?
I ordered a dish and some other stuff from them and had them delivered without any problems.

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 1.8 dish, Foxsat-HDR, Inverto LNB
My Location
South Sweden
Att roti01

As far as I can remember it was called CT125 when I bought it, but times change. The important thing is that the central conductor of the cable has a diam of 1.25 mm, hence the name. I'm just outside Lund by the way.

Corrigap

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Att Corrigap

RE MTI AP82-TW...When you checked on the performance of this MTI C120 LNB against the Invacom 0.3, did you use a C120 Invacom?

Regarding the Feedhorn, I can get one from Hallbäcks in Helsingborg for about 600sek. The distributers (Kjaerrulf1) who sell Hallbäcks the CM 1.8 dish also sell the feedhorn. So that is good news. It took ages to get through to Hallbäcks exactly what a feedhorn was, as Hallbäcks thought you simply need any LNB! JESUS! So Only way to fix that was to speak dirrectly to the distributers.

So now I am in the hunt for the MTI LNB. I did contact Dave at Satellite Superstore, and his response was that MTI do not make a C120 LNB. We all know that is not true! I have mailed him about it and I am currently waiting for a response. I have seen it advertised for average of £55 back in Blighty, but does anyone know of someone who sells them here in Sweden?

Att.Puffin, Lazydave, roti01, corrigap...

Some good links there...Can you conclude then that the CT125 is the best out there? I only need approx 5metres, so money is no object!

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
Rabbit, if your cable run is only 5 metres, then I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble about getting the best sat cable in the world (although it won't hurt, of course). The reason being that you take a hit in signal strength with each connection and according to cable length. But with only 5 metres, the difference between CT125 and standard RG6U is negligible (a fraction of a d:cool:. Almost all your loss will be due to the connectors on either end. So I would focus more on just making sure that the connectors are properly mounted (good contact, water-tight, etc...).

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
ATT Rabbit
No it was the C120 version of the MTI versus the 'ordinary' version of the Invacom (single output). It is possible that the C-120 Invacom might perform better than the 'ordinary' version but the strength of the MTI lies in its sensitivity at the lower end of the band. I bought my MTI from Martin Pickering at www.satcure.co.uk. AFAIK he still sells them. Re. Sweden, I've seen them advertised here http://www.hansa-electronic.com/, but that was a while ago. BTW, I've got about 11-12 m of CT167 which is yours if you want it. Problem is it's very thick and the F-connectors (special ones) were crimped on.
Corrigap

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
ATT Corrigap..Hansa Electronic...795sek...£58...Good price but looks like non in stock...Thanks for that info Corrigap. I will buy the MTI...Its proven by yourself, so, no need to try out the invacom. Satcure are going for £55, and maybe £10 postage. Cheapest I found is from Parabolic for £49.
Do you have a diameter of the CT167 cable? I have a small prepared hole behind the TV thru the wall, so it cant be too wide...

ATT Lazydave...Thanks for the information...The best connectors on the market is the therefore the answer. Any suggestions?

I have just orderred the CM180...Cant wait. All I need now is a dia114 galvanised pipe, 2.3 metres long. The link from Roti01 had galvanised poles for a reasonable price.

RE...IRTE Dishes. I did a bit of research on them last year, and I found that to get a better performance of the CM180, you had to go for the IRTE240 dish. I mean, if its cheaper and there is the space for it, go for that one. Unfortunately, her indoors would not approve of such a beast in our garden, despite the reception and viewing of Coronation Street!

R

roti01

A few things:

1. I spoke to the gentleman at C-COM, he also has 'tripods' for CM180 dishes, which might be easier to mount (requires a concrete base though) and more stable - 1365SEK. I got a C120 MTI from Martin Pickering for about 25 pounds (single)...
Where did you get your Panasonics from? Brymar.co.uk do them for £140 - reconditioned but they are much cheaper on ebay (tough bidding, maybe this is where Brymar source them....)

Rgds,

roti01

p.s. Hope the end result works - be at a loose end though!
:cool:

R

roti01

One more thing, any tips for finding 2D? I've had no trouble with 2A/B on a smaller dish and have a satellite meter, but understand that it is quite tricky with a large dish....

rgds,

roti01

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
att roti01
Got my Panny from Dee-Sat while they were still in production. Now, I think I'd be inclined to try e-bay, but not everyone selling there wants to ship internationally. Have you considered the Pace 2600? It seems to have assumed the Panny 30's mantle among the expat community in Spain and has had a lot of praise. My best tip for dish alignment is perseverence!

att Rabbit
The diameter of that cable is 17mm at the thickest point, ie the F -connectors, with the cable itself at 11mm (these measurements are approximate).

Corrigap

R

roti01

Corrigap,

How about planning permission with large dishes? I've read that in many places in Sweden, you need permission for dishes bigger than 110cm. Did you have to get this? I really want to avoid this.....

Rgds,

roti01

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
Re. planning permission

I was told I didn't need that by the installer, so I didn't argue ;-)

But maybe it's just as well to get that checked out. Not sure if it would be 'kommunen' or 'länsstyrelsen' though.

Corrigap

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Would a 3.8 meter dish be enough in Malmö to bring in all 2D channels 24/7 even in slight rain?

I might move to Malmö later on in my job and was thinking of buying the 3.8 meter Patriot dish.

Benjaman

Reaction score
My Location
Nässjö, Sweden
John & Andy,

This is a slightly unrelated question to your thread, but as you are both in Sweden, i thought you might be able to help. I currently have my old Canal Digital dish pointing at Thor and Sirius and i am using a dreambox 7000 with an SF Team image and can get all the Viasat channels without any problems, but cannot get Canal Digital to work at all. Do you know of any images or Sofcam's that would get this working?

On a seperate note, what satellite would i need to point at to get SKY and ITV or BBC from? I am living in Nässjö, Småland at the moment.

Thanks.

Benja

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
Likvid said:
Would a 3.8 meter dish be enough in Malmö to bring in all 2D channels 24/7 even in slight rain?

I might move to Malmö later on in my job and was thinking of buying the 3.8 meter Patriot dish.

the 2d horizontal channels i think certainly no problem there. in fact
you could well do it with quite a bit smaller size dish.
the problem with sweden is the fact that the side-lobed 2d signal slopes
heavily in favour of the 2d horizontal channels, the vertical channels on 2d pay the price heavily and are a lot harder to pick up.
this is also a big problem, because it means you can't accurately look
at a map of europe and compare signal strengths with other countries.

also as you would be the first person to attempt this with size of dish it's
very hard to know, as there is noone to compare with, apart from people
with 1.8 and 2metre dishes in your area.

there is also another problem in sweden too, which is when the signal
dips in the evening and then regains strength again in the early hours.

bear in mind the 2d vertical channels are only:
ITV2
The AMP
Scuzz
Flaunt
Sky Travel
Sky Travel Extra
ITV (some regional variations)
Sky sports extra interactive,(i listed this because it
stops you picking up the champions leagues interactive and other Sky sports interactive services channel on Sky )
BBC (some regional variations)

the type of dish you're on about would also need expert fine tuning, without it you probably wouldn't even pick up 2d, and i think it would need to be done with a spectrum analyser.

i've heard actually that a pub, i think its the dubliners pub in gothenburg
have put a big dish on their roof, if they are picking up 2d vertical
there it could be a help. maybe you can drop them a mail and ask
if they have itv2 ? :)

rich
http://connect.to/skysweden

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I already got a old Tektronix Spectrum analyzer, i used to work with large antennas back in the 80's when i had a house i could explore my hobby but i am living in an apartment now and might move in my job and i will get a house in the country side so i can install these dish......

I will not use it for 2D only but for 4GHz also....

The good thing with this antenna is that you can install it yourself by mounting each part directly on the mount, you don't need to lift the whole dish onto the mount, that's really good....

indios_se said:
the 2d horizontal channels i think certainly no problem there. in fact
you could well do it with quite a bit smaller size dish.
the problem with sweden is the fact that the side-lobed 2d signal slopes
heavily in favour of the 2d horizontal channels, the vertical channels on 2d pay the price heavily and are a lot harder to pick up.
this is also a big problem, because it means you can't accurately look
at a map of europe and compare signal strengths with other countries.

also as you would be the first person to attempt this with size of dish it's
very hard to know, as there is noone to compare with, apart from people
with 1.8 and 2metre dishes in your area.

there is also another problem in sweden too, which is when the signal
dips in the evening and then regains strength again in the early hours.

bear in mind the 2d vertical channels are only:
ITV2
The AMP
Scuzz
Flaunt
Sky Travel
Sky Travel Extra
ITV (some regional variations)
Sky sports extra interactive,(i listed this because it
stops you picking up the champions leagues interactive and other Sky sports interactive services channel on Sky )
BBC (some regional variations)

the type of dish you're on about would also need expert fine tuning, without it you probably wouldn't even pick up 2d, and i think it would need to be done with a spectrum analyser.

i've heard actually that a pub, i think its the dubliners pub in gothenburg
have put a big dish on their roof, if they are picking up 2d vertical
there it could be a help. maybe you can drop them a mail and ask
if they have itv2 ? :)

rich
http://connect.to/skysweden