BBC 10773H - expat problems

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Sorry am I being niaeve? I thought there was only a problem discussing things which were not strictly legal. Or are you refereing to an understandable wish for Iceman to have a business advantage?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If iceman wants to pm me the details I'll post as much as I think is sensible on the forum. :)

(Or declare it not to be discussed) :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
DishDick said:
Sorry am I being niaeve? I thought there was only a problem discussing things which were not strictly legal. Or are you refereing to an understandable wish for Iceman to have a business advantage?

We don't know just how legal his measures are ............ Analoguesat obviously sees it the same way and has kindly offered to look at it in more detail.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
I would assume ( and I know you should never assume) that he obviously had a good idea, spent time and trouble testing and perfecting his cure and as an installer wants to benefit from his knowlege and labour. If it works he can advertise locally as the only person who can cure the problem, until his competitors find out what he has done, and do the same themselves.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
DishDick said:
I would assume ( and I know you should never assume) that he obviously had a good idea, spent time and trouble testing and perfecting his cure and as an installer wants to benefit from his knowlege and labour. If it works he can advertise locally as the only person who can cure the problem, until his competitors find out what he has done, and do the same themselves.

Yes I rather suspect this as well - and fair dinkum as the aussies would say. And if this is right then I cant blame iceman for keeping quiet :)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I don't blame him. I have only done two or three experiments but they have taken a couple of hours and mind boggling tasks,very frustrating. I have got a couple of reasonable results but because I have other usual satellite jobs to do for the christmas rush (and we have had storm damage to dishes /lnb's from last week),its hard to concentrate on just getting BBC back. I have spoken with another satman from a different area and our observations are similar. Its not just a simple idea that can be copied easily. Each dish is different if there any impurities in its shape, but I am waiting to perfect it before I go round charging for a good service. The 2 I did today had to settle for a slightly weaker BBC Scotland/North west. But another 2 had good BBC London.

dvdfilm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m dish
My Location
spain
it's obviously about a business advantage the reason behind the not sharing,nothing about legalities,because the reception of free channels is always legal whatever kind of dish/equipment you use at the receiving end.unless(in theory,but impossible in practice:)) someone had access to the actual uplink systems or sat control stations and messed up with them in order to change the footprint directions,that would be illegal as an alteration on the transmitting end.
not this case of course,where only the receiving end is involved,so whatever solution iceman has found is definitely legal and the reason for not sharing on the forum is a business advantage,legitimate of course,although maybe not fully in the spirit of the forum,considering the help many other people give for free.

bigglesabroad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky on 3.1m Famaval
Multisats on 1.2 Diseq Motor all on DB7025.
Installer with Rover ST4 Analyser
My Location
Pissouri Cyprus
Reading this thread with interest, based in Pissouri Cyprus and still striving for a solution to the BADR interference. I have had success in the past with interference on the 10714 from BADR and CYTA's Microwave links! The BADR solution was often a metal patch, about A4 size rounded off riveted or stuck to the dish. The idea is that the interfering signal, although slightly off axis is reflected by imperfections in the curve of the dish.
Basically I have some foil stuck to card on the end of plastic conduit, move it around the surface and watch the readings for a significant improvement at the "sweet spot". However, its a compromise, make it too big and lose a lot of dish area that will obviously impact on other transponders.
However, tried this for a few hours recently and it did not work on the particular DH 3m I had access too. A few ideas left but not holding my breath for this one!

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
Fixed dishes forAstra2 Atlantic bird 3 and astra 1
Sky box, Humax Viaccess, Humax HD freesat,strong 6410
My Location
S W France [47]
Imagine the 'Ragidness' of the footprint where you are ! Quite apart from the tiny signal you are getting I would imagine signal strength varying considerably ,with only small distances between locations .One of the problems of Fringe area reception I guess ! T1154

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
S W France [47]
I hesitate to raise subject ,'Poor reception in France' but have an Americain friend living at Moissac [Garonne valley] [Tarn et Garonne] whose local french installation Engineer claims he cannot capture 2D on chimney mounted 80 cm Dish [Two story house , no nearby obstructions or Hills along the Site line, no reception problems that I am aware of within 30 Kms radius ]!I have been forbidden to mount the roof and check myself ,so very frustrating!! I was wondering whether anyone has a property in or near Moissac who has perhaps experienced non reception problems on Astra 2? I suspect that the problem is the French installing engineer! They are never very keen to install British Sat. TV and to them Astra is always understood to be Astra 1 !! T1154

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
An 80 cm might be a bit marginal there but I would imagine at worst he should get some signal on a clear day even if its lost when its raining.

If they arent getting any uk channels then the dish has been aligned onto the wrong satellite cluster.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Moissac isn't marginal on 80cm.

Although I'm not in France at the moment I have English friends the other side of the village who would have been on the phone to me immediately if they were having any problems as I installed their dish!

I suspect your suspicion is correct! The installer is either deliberately obstructive or incompetent.

Reaction score
Website
www.mad-av.com
My Satellite Setup
2.7m DH with Invacom Quad connecting to a Win7 x64 Media Centre w/ a rotating Thomson or Pace Digibox
My Location
Paphos, Cyprus
for the last month or more 24/7 Astra 2D 10773 has been breaking up at best, at worst no signal at all. Just 24 hrs ago (and previous weeks) all 2D channels were either 'no signal' or breaking up heavily between 7pm and 10pm ... but tonight 9pm I am getting very strong signal 10773 and watching bbc1 london perfectly and checked all other 2D horizontals eg 10832/10803 are now also perfect. a one off or some change(s) been made somewhere ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Big Dutch

This whole thread is about the problems!

The summary is that in the eastern Med you have problems from Badr 5 - and it isn't going to get better in the long run. It's probably just a temporary increase in signal from 2D rather than a decrease from Badr 5.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Got to be a one off. But it is strange because I did 2 LNB changes today in Limassol on 3m DH dishes .One was bad on 10.773(London) and better on 10.803(Scotland). The other ,in a better signal area, I really struggled to get both .After ages pushing and pulling the dish from all angles and I suddenly got both and 10.803 was a bit weaker. Then I went to a job to connect an extra cable to the dish .It was an unusual 3m fibre glass dish,tatty with the paintwork peeling off,and everything was perfect !

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
PaulR said:
Big Dutch

This whole thread is about the problems!

The summary is that in the eastern Med you have problems from Badr 5 - and it isn't going to get better.

True ,but there many situations where some dishes/installations are not affected at all. Some dishes even the same type seem to not pick up the BADR beam.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PaulR said:
The summary is that in the eastern Med you have problems from Badr 5 - and it isn't going to get better in the long run.

Very true - Firstly more and more Badr 5 "Astra 2D" frequencies are going to be lit up in the next few months

And in a year or so Astra's 2E - 2G will start going into service - and that is going to cause all sorts of problems for our expats and swallows.

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
S W France [47]
Thanks PaulR and Analoguesat for your helpful comments, which tend to confirm my opinion of the Installation 'Engineer' .He certainly had no light touch when adjusting the Dish!
Question is what now?
Mounting the dish on a mast,itself mounted on the floor of the Loft , poking through the skylight opening, would prove ability to receive 2D, since I could adjust the Dish without getting on the roof myself. but a permanent solution will require the Roof to be pierced ,since passage through the Skylight opening is hardly an acceptable solution !! I don't think that idea will be acceptable anyway .Best try to find a more capable Installation Engineer I guess and not easy in this area ! See what comes of volunteering help!!!

Myself I live on the border between 47 and 82, and in this area I have actually installed a Small Sky Dish, in one or two locations, without problems ,although I normally
prefer to use an 80 cms Dish .
T1154
Ps T1154 is the age giveaway which Explains why I am forbidden to go roof climbing myself!!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
If you just want to prove a point then all you have to do is hammer a post into the soil and set up an 80cm dish at ground level. Even hammering a post in is optional as I've simply rested a dish against some chairs and rocks and pushed bits of wood behind the dish as spacers to prove a point in the past.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Or use an old car tyre to prop the dish up on - allows for easy adjustment - just stick a lath of wood up against the back rim to stop it falling over backwards.

For a permanent install through the roof you can get roof penetrating poles that bolt to the roof rafters & have flashing around them to cover the hole in the tiles

If you have a flat concrete area then a patio mount will probably do as long as its bolted down securely or weighted sufficiently.