BBC ITV etc phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I got the feeling the Freeview service will be shut down sooner than you think, maybes around 2028 or so. Don't know if analogue radio or DAB services will be affected. Don't see the point of installing a TV aerial at the moment. Everyone will have to install a satellite dish to continue watching UK TV services or go online. They will probably move the TV licence fee onto everyone's phone and broadband bills as a result. Just about everybody has broadband services of some sort now except older people.
You know Capita will try for another extension to the TVtaxlicence to keep their shareholders happy.

Somebody has to cover the £92m pa for the priviledge.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Might be around a bit longer than that, depends what happens at the World Radio Communications Conference at the end of the year in Dubai:

Thanks for that. If people want BBC in HD they need to go Freesat and install a satellite dish it looks like. If I was in charge I would start the closedown of Freeview services and give viewers a 5 year notice of shutdown. 5 years should be plenty of time to switch over to satellite until it is viable to switch to online only services(it is not fit for purpose currently).

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
You know Capita will try for another extension to the TVtaxlicence to keep their shareholders happy.

Somebody has to cover the £92m pa for the priviledge.

I don't like the TV licence fee but I rather it was kept rather than the alternatives being suggested. At least at the moment it is voluntary(in that if you don't watch live TV you don't have to pay it). If it became a charge on broadband or council tax it then becomes compulsory and everyone pays it whether they watch live broadcast or not.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I don't like the TV licence fee but I rather it was kept rather than the alternatives being suggested. At least at the moment it is voluntary(in that if you don't watch live TV you don't have to pay it). If it became a charge on broadband or council tax it then becomes compulsory and everyone pays it whether they watch live broadcast or not.
My post was questioning the financial aspect.

With an assumption there are 23m licence holders, a £92m pa hike works out at around 2% of the total, (£3 on each licence) in order to gate keep using outsourcing.

dvdfilm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m dish
My Location
spain
Yesterday all remaining BBC regions switched to HD on Freeview, has the Satback feed been upgraded too?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yesterday all remaining BBC regions switched to HD on Freeview, has the Satback feed been upgraded too?
Most channels (TBN and a couple of others excepted) have an HD as name suffix on the SF8008. I will have to check with the GTMedia Combo later to see what is actually on the downlink.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The GTMedia box shows the services in HD

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
1 x off set 60cm for 28.2e
1 x 60cm for 5w + 13e + 19.2e
Quad LNBs on each sent to different receivers in different flats.
My Location
belgium
I can get the SD channels on my crap 28.2 pointed dish. I will move this up onto the roof this week to get the HD channels again. I saw that all BBC regional channels are in HD and SD is UK wide version ( which I don't mind at all). I prefer SD to HD. Still, SD will go.

I am just confirming what what expected.

Ciao!

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
The BBC SD switch off date has been brought forward from March to January 2024. Dish installers must be rubbing their hands together

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
My Location
belgium
The BBC SD switch off date has been brought forward from March to January 2024. Dish installers must be rubbing their hands together
Most likely many would have increased the dish size. The BBC channels have had an SD phase out message across half the screen for at least the past six months. For those that did not notice, then they probably just carry on watching ITV!

BBC New on 19 and 13 is only in SD so I suppose this will stay SD.

My god, this an old thread :-)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Most likely many would have increased the dish size. The BBC channels have had an SD phase out message across half the screen for at least the past six months. For those that did not notice, then they probably just carry on watching ITV!

Whilst HD provides the user with better resolution, the box of tricks in the living room (along with the outside kit) is working somewhat harder to keep up.

I think I posted a power draw comparison of SD/HD reception on here a while ago.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders

Probably just downscale the HD signal coming out of London or whichever soggy corner of the UK the uplink is coming from these days.

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
My Location
belgium
Whilst HD provides the user with better resolution, the box of tricks in the living room (along with the outside kit) is working somewhat harder to keep up.

I think I posted a power draw comparison of SD/HD reception on here a while ago.
Which in turn puts up our electricity bills. I am happy with SD. Film4 looks great.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As previously mentioned all BBC SD services will cease on Monday 8th January. This has been bought forward from March, so the BBC obvioulsy reckon the number of SD only boxes still in use is minimal

Although our last holiday cottage down near Annan had an ancient SD only box in it. It was suffering from capacitor degradation & only about 20 channels worked. None of the PSB's or their associated families of channels worked. We spent a lot of time watching dvds & one of the 80s pop channels! :-rofl2

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
Îts not the strength of the signal, its the error correction. C5HD works fine on.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
More closures of SD versions w/c 8th January:

ITV1 Border Scotland
ITV1 Channel
ITV1 UTV
ITV1 Wales
ITV Be (No ITV Be +1 on satellite)
ITV3 (ITV3 +1 stays for now)
ITV4 (ITV4 +1 stays for now)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
More closures of SD versions w/c 8th January:

ITV1 Border Scotland
ITV1 Channel
ITV1 UTV
ITV1 Wales
ITV Be (No ITV Be +1 on satellite)
ITV3 (ITV3 +1 stays for now)
ITV4 (ITV4 +1 stays for now)
About time for an edit on the thread title.

Or move to another section.

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
Can you clarify the above ?
Channel 5 HD on 11306 H has a S/FEC of 27500 2/3
BBC HD on 10803 H has a S/FEC of 22000 5/6

That means that with the lower symbol rate BBC uses less usable data per byte and the singnal becomes too noisy earlier.

I am setup strictly for 2E. So Channel 5 should be worse to receive than BBC. But on bad days C5HD holds out lonnger than BBC on 2E. From the other BBC's on 2f or 2G or whatever and ITV HD I hardly see a glimpse all year round.