BBC reception help in Stockholm, Sweden

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
So the vertical channels aren't stronger than that in Stockholm?

I have good reception of the horisontal channels in south east Sweden but I don't have a sniff of the vertical ones,so I guess I would have to go up to about 150 cm to get the vertical transponders.

I'm using a 100 cm for the moment by the way.

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
Amstrad dx90 sky+ h.d box
My Location
stockholm
yes they are very weak stef. no problem with the horizontal ones though get them in clear as a bell 24/7. don´t know why somebody can´t accidently put a missile through that 2d so we can all get a full reception of sky digital`s package

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
t.m said:
yes they are very weak stef. no problem with the horizontal ones though get them in clear as a bell 24/7. don´t know why somebody can´t accidently put a missile through that 2d so we can all get a full reception of sky digital`s package

Remember that the tuners in SKY digiboxes are normally very crappy,so it could be a solution for you to use a regular receiver with a dragoncam and your sky card.

I've read that the SKY cards are working with the dragon,if any of you have another opinion about this please correct me.

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
My Location
stockholm
dont know about the dragon. i have a pace mk 2 sky plus box now but when i used my old panasonic dsb 30 i never came anywhere near the vertical signals so there is a difference and the panasonic is considered to be one of the best boxes for fringe reception.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
t.m said:
dont know about the dragon. i have a pace mk 2 sky plus box now but when i used my old panasonic dsb 30 i never came anywhere near the vertical signals so there is a difference and the panasonic is considered to be one of the best boxes for fringe reception.

The DSB 30 has a useless tuner,that's confirmed by other Swedes.Don't know how it got the reputation being so good for fringe,the tuner in the Pace you have is confirmed by others being a lot better.

The best thing you could do is try to borrow a Humax for example,most of their models seem to have sensitive tuners.Then you can do a search on the vertical BBC channels and see what you get.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
t.m said:

And I don't mean the Triple Dragon receiver(useless tuner),I mean the Dragon cam that you can plug in to a good receiver and then use your SKY card in it.

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
My Location
stockholm
what is that stef never heard of that before. available in sweden ? how much ? sounds interesting

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
t.m said:
what is that stef never heard of that before. available in sweden ? how much ? sounds interesting

You have to search the net to get some answers on this,I have never tried the Dragon-cam and definately not with a sky card,I've just "heard" that it works.It was just a suggestion how to solve your problems.

If this works you have to get a new receiver+dragon cam and that will cost you quite some money, it all depends on how much it's worth for you to get the vertical channels.

If you want to try this or something similar,start with borrowing a receiver with a sensitive tuner and see if you can get the vertical BBC channels which are FTA,if you can get them I guess you can get ITV too!

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
My Location
stockholm
i am getting all bbc tv and radio now and it aint really worth paying out a lot of money for itv 1 & 2 but you know the old saying you allways want want you cant get so we will see. thanx for the help stef

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Have you checked the dish so it is peaked at max?

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
steffan_st said:
The DSB 30 has a useless tuner,that's confirmed by other Swedes.Don't know how it got the reputation being so good for fringe,the tuner in the Pace you have is confirmed by others being a lot better.

well theres useless and useless, its good for receiving sky anyway, third party receivers are much better sure.

theres a 3db difference from vertical to horizontal in the side lobe over stockholm, a 1.8 m would fix any problems with the vert stuff in stockholm area. although you have a chance with a 1.5 gilbertini

you can get the sky card working a few different cams now, sky will very likely change their card in the next few years and that will probably be the end of this current cam compatibility, till the next time someone sorts it anyway.

t.m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 metre dish
My Location
stockholm
i am sure it is not. when we insalled it (just by the signal meter in the box) my freind on the roof just turned the dish until we found a signal but the elevation has never been adjusted. might be a good idea to get someone up there with proper testing equipment

tvper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Digiallity 304/120GB
180cm with Digiality SF-1LNB
Sagem 4410
Nokia 9902s
Nokia 9602
Triax 80cm + 4 LNBs
Hi!

I´m new here, but I just have to share my experience.

Dopamine
It could be your receivers tuner that was your biggest problem.
Nokia´s tuners aint that good.

I´ve tried 2D with a Barcom 1.45 and a Digiality SC-1 - LNB.
With a Nokia it will only lock on BBC in wery good weather.
But with my Digiality 304 (and Sagem - Viasat model) I get
reception 24/7, unless it´s pouring down.
The Digilaity gave upto 58% in quality medium 49%.

Now I´ve got hold of a 1.8m SALORA and it gives upto 71%
medium 58%.

The Digiality looses quality at 43-46%.

But yet there´s no sign of the vertikal channels.

Next I´m to get hold of a really good LNB.

I´ve also used a OM125 - dish.
It works if you use a good LNB but it gets moore sensible for rain.

I´ve tried several different LNBs.
Awery good result was from a Digistar SF-1, 0.7dB (has actually been waterdamaged).
Next best was a Digiality SF-44 quad LNB.
But best result was a Digiality SC-1 combined with a
Channel Master feed-horn.

I´ve also experimented with only 5m of tripple-shielded cable
instead of my normal setup with about 20m via a 4-w DiSEqC.
And it didn´t make any noticible difference.

My location i Skövde in Sweden, about 350km SW from Stockholm.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Updated info!!

Here i proove my results with my setup, i can now receive the vertical transponders on Astra 2D for approx 2 hours, 3:30-5:30 PM

The new Topfield receiver and the combination SMW LNBs did the trick.:D

However this setup costed me a fortune....

BBC Parliament Astra 2D [size=-1]10.847 V for approx 2 hours each day
BBC_V.jpg

BBC 1 London Astra 2D [/size][size=-1]10.773 H 24/7 reception even in hard rain.[/size][size=-1]
BBC_H.jpg
[/size]

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Looks good! Do you get ITV 3?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
steffan_st said:
Looks good! Do you get ITV 3?

Will try tomorrow again, the signal is gone almost now on the vertical transponders.

billporter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dsb-40
My Location
sweden
itv3 will be nasty its on 10906, the weakest v transponder.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
No 10.906V yesterday, signal fluctating, could not lock. it has been bad weather the last two days so i am waiting for the better forecasts.

billporter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dsb-40
My Location
sweden
pity you dont have a sky card, sky travel will probably work a lot longer than bbc parliament

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I have a Sky Movie World subscription.