fibre lnb from global invacom

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also, running 100m of WF125 and 100m of Fibre, is a lot easier than running 4 x 100m of WF165, plus the dish size can be smaller and if a local power supply is available (often the case), it is purely the fibre. There are also real benefits in the lack of earth bonding requirement.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Now that I can understand if your dish is hundreds of metres away it's beneficial to use fibre but running coax to a fibre LNB as well for power seems a bit odd. Bell wire or even better a local power source seem more sensible to me.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
timo_w2s said:
Bell wire or even better a local power source seem more sensible to me.
Probably correct for a new installation but if you're doing an upgrade to an existing installation then the co-ax will already be there. And, up a point, it doesn't matter how poor that co-ax is at satellite frequencies, it'll still pass DC perfectly.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Not if the coax was already there though, for example.

I imagine that in some cases it could be cost effective to provide power via batteries charged with solar energy, as the power requirements are fairly low.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
PaulR said:
Probably correct for a new installation but if you're doing an upgrade to an existing installation then the co-ax will already be there. And, up a point, it doesn't matter how poor that co-ax is at satellite frequencies, it'll still pass DC perfectly.

Yes, I agree that would be a good case for using the existing coax. I was just thinking along the lines if fibre becomes the standard in the distant future for all types of installs (rather then just long distance multi user setups as I see it now) it'll be a bit of pain having to run both types of cable for a new install (takes me back to the good old days when we needed another cable for the polariser) but I guess by then a new "shotgun" type of fibre/12v combined cable will probably be considered standard issue.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Had to run the coax for the terrestrial side of the system. Once all analogue channels have gone, then combining the terrestrial digital into the fibre system will be a lot easier, but at the moment it is overly costly. Not sure how 100m of bell wire would handle 12v at 500ma.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rolfw said:
Not sure how 100m of bell wire would handle 12v at 500ma.

It could handle the current as the 0.5mm diameter stuff is rated at 1A, but with a resistance of approx 15 ohms for a 100m length, it would drop the voltage ( by 7.5v) so there would only be 4.5V at the far end. Cable of lower resistance (eg something thicker) would be needed.

wf100 coax should have a DC resistance less than 4 ohms per 100m, so would only lose about 2 volts.

Espliego

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.9m dish with titanium 0.1db quattro lnb and triax multiswitch looking to move to fibre optic
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
From this thread, looks as though you might be able to advise whether it would be practicable to install fibre optic lnb in place of titanium 0.1 db quattro coax lnb. We are in Costa Blanca area of Spain, near Torrevieca / Alicante. Currently have a 1.9 metre dish with above lnb and a triax multiswitch. Get good reception on most channels - not all BBC / ITC / BBC2 / C4 regional channels but at least one of each. No C5 or Film4.

Would like to change to fibre optic so some further away neighbours could benefit. However, concerned that fibre optic LNB won't give as good reception.

What do you think? Any reasonable cost options??

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can't really advise on your situation, as I've never used one for a fringe setup, will really depend on the distances involved as to whether it's worth it. It'll be a case of suck it and see, it's really down to whether the differences in signal strength between the highest and the lowest are not too great, as the signal from the LNB will need to be attenuated prior to entering the quattro or quad converter to keep the noise level down and this may take the fringe frequencies down below the threshold.

Invacom

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manufacturer of LNB's
My Location
Essex
Hi ALl,

Just to clear this up again.

The Global Invacom Optical LNB has a noise figure of 0.7dB typical. This means that it is NOT ideally suited for use in fringe area's unless you wish to increase your dish size.

In places like Spain the advantage you could get from a Fibre LNB would be to increase the size of the antenna but then share the optical signal across a community. SInce fibre has little loss, it means that the signal from the fibre lnb can be shared across large distances. Obviously the increased cost of putting in a larger dish could be offset if a group of people clubbed together to share the signal.

Further NEWS on GLOBAL INVACOM Optical Products.

We have now launched a further optical product that allows you to include Digital Terrestrial TV and DAB within the converted optical signal. It is important to note that the system can only handle Digital terrestrial and DAB so unfortunately, you cannot distribute analogue and would need to filter these signals out before presenting the terrestrial signals to the converter.

FTTH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Media Cable TV.. BOoo Hissss
My Location
Gosport, Hampshire, UK
@invacom - Any news on the Data/Multisat integration?
I know it will push cost up but with some larger installs we are looking at 120 Points it might really start to make sense.

*Hotbird / SKY + Data
Thats 3 seperate Fibre networks to put in place + 2 GTUs.

A fast fix is to swap the Wavelength of SAT from 1310nm to 1610nm or similar, the 1310 is a wavelength usually reserved for DATA (If we can have that back we can run DATA/SAT/Terrestrial quite happily on one fibre).