FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
Yorkie1 said:
Hi , I used Brian's chanel list to correct my lack of BBC1 HD, BBC HD, Chanel 4 HD and BBC4, may be even more than this missing but those were the main ones. BBC HD and BBC1 HD just gave the message 'No Signal' the others were non existant after a Freesat or Fortec HD retune.Brians chanel list worked except lost ITV HD(all versions ,North , South , etc.) after turning receiver on and off. Have contacted Fortec Star , awaiting reply.
Receiver Fortec Star Passion HD with October 2010 update.

Can you follow these instructions, and then let me know exactly which channels you do receive , and which channels you dont :-

1. Factory Reset - using UK & FreeSAT options. This loads the current Fortec Star channel list which is NOT up to date with official Fresat list (& frequencies)
  2. In Menu, Set Logical Channel No to OFF, and 7-day EPG to ON
  3. Upload my Channel List from USB
  4. Do a Channel Backup (not absolutely necessary but it does save it in case you accidentally mess Channel List up)

shirtcliffe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star, Panasonic dmr-bw 780, PS3, Pioneer 60 inch tv.
My Location
preston lancs
I have tried everything suggested on this thread on my Fortec Star Passion+, the software is up to date, altered settings, downloaded channel list. But although I can receive lots of channels from Astra 28.2 I still cannot receive the freesat channels BBC, ITV etc., I have run out of ideas. Any suggestions ?
Thanks Alan

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Has the Passion+ ever worked for BBC/ITV channels? If yes, when did they disappear?

When you say cannot receive the freesat channels BBC, ITV etc., what is the etc? Can you receive ANY of the channels that are broadcast on 2D low band? Could the Passion+ be giving a 22KHz signal permanently switching the LNB to high band? Could the LNB be faulty?

shirtcliffe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
preston lancs
PaulR said:
Has the Passion+ ever worked for BBC/ITV channels? If yes, when did they disappear?

When you say cannot receive the freesat channels BBC, ITV etc., what is the etc? Can you receive ANY of the channels that are broadcast on 2D low band? Could the Passion+ be giving a 22KHz signal permanently switching the LNB to high band? Could the LNB be faulty?

Thanks for reply. I had a humax Freesat HD box, I lost freesat on it over 12 months ago, I presumed the box might be faulty. I recently bought a second hand Fortec, I do not know if it ever worked with Freesat. I tried the Humax box again but it cannot find Freesat signal, I don't think I am getting any of the freesat channels I originally had. I thought about the LNB and have tried a new one still no result.

Alan

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you aint getting anything AND you have tried another box with the same results then the dish may be misaligned or the cable damaged.

shirtcliffe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
preston lancs
Analoguesat said:
If you aint getting anything AND you have tried another box with the same results then the dish may be misaligned or the cable damaged.

I am getting lots of channels (mostly German I think) from Astra 28.2 E. Tried realigning the dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Your dish is pointing at 19E! :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So, shift it about 9 degrees (which isn't very much at all) further East and lower it a couple of degrees.

When re-aligned to 28E, I bet your old Freesat box will spring back to life.

PS: What happened about 12 months ago? Storm? Builders?

shirtcliffe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
preston lancs
Tivù said:
So, shift it about 9 degrees (which isn't very much at all) further East and lower it a couple of degrees.

When re-aligned to 28E, I bet your old Freesat box will spring back to life.

PS: What happened about 12 months ago? Storm? Builders?

OK but how can I tell if I am on the correct satellite? My box shows a similar signal strength (68-70%) for Astra 28E,19E,and 23E. I scanned 28E and when I select SAT and then Astra 28E on the remote I get a list of channels I can access.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The pre-stored "Satellites" are just simple data tables which are only of value when the dish is aligned to the Satellite cluster matching the label of the "Satellite" in the Receiver:

ie With dish at 19.2E (Which is where yours is), if you scan the list "28E" or "23.5E" you will still reveal some Channels - but they are nevertheless 19.2E Channels. Frequencies and other parameters are re-used many times across the arc and all a "Satellite" is is merely a crude and often inaccurate data table.

The reason why you get the same Strength is because you are still looking at exactly the same signal, regardless of which "Satellite" you select in the box. The box has no idea where you have pointed the dish!

So, simply move the dish a little further East, as stated, until you get a signal. Then scan the`table "28E" and if you get Dutch/German stuff you are on 23.5E, but if you get UK Channels you are on 28E.

Frequency re-use is possible only because you cannot get Channels from a Satellite other than the one the dish is aligned to.

The error and the assumptions you have made are very common indeed - and easily overcome.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
BTW, for the unfamiliar, you can check what Satellite you are really looking at my comparing a sample of the received Channels with the up to date listing on flysat, kingofsat, lyngsat etc.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
shirtcliffe said:
OK but how can I tell if I am on the correct satellite? My box shows a similar signal strength (68-70%) for Astra 28E,19E,and 23E. I scanned 28E and when I select SAT and then Astra 28E on the remote I get a list of channels I can access.

Get familiar with this site:

-http://www.flysat.com/satlist.php

Have a look at 9E 13E 19E & 28E and see how the same block of frequencies are reused over and over again on each satellite (10700-12750MHz)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Aaaaah !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

shirtcliffe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
preston lancs
Many thanks to all who gave me help and advice, everything is working now, and I understand thing a bit better. There is a lot that the manuals don't tell you!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You're right about the Manuals ................ but it can be a good thing as it forces you to really understand stuff as opposed to doing simple set-up by rote.

Well done, though!

jayartibee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortecstar passion plus
My Location
UK
I downloaded Brians channel list to cure all these problems but I'm not sure how to upload them into the STB. Can someone help?

jayartibee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortecstar passion plus
My Location
UK
main reason for asking is that it appears to upload into the box, "burn" etc, and the STB restarts- and does the "two minute update"- and then the channel list is the same as before.....

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Cancel the update screen or you'll lose your new channel list.

jayartibee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortecstar passion plus
My Location
UK
Tried that after posting to no avail. I'll have another go.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
OK, time I had a new channel list for my Passion. I'll blow the dust off mine and try Brian's list later if you don't have any luck in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.