Free way for anyone to upgrade to win 10?

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Windows 10, think long and hard. Upgraded from Win 8 and trouble ever since. Yesterday it froze up for 10 minutes every time I tried to open a picture. Saved the files and reinstalled Win 10. Now it refuses to restore the backup so I am left with a fresh set up to start again. Time to try Linux.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Upgraded from Win 8 and trouble ever since.
ahh, that's a pain. Hopefully got some backup of personal files.
Am always saving a disk image to external hd before any major work (aka major f***up :O), to have the option for a restore to 100% pre-experiment state, this is good > Macrium Reflect Free

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
ahh, that's a pain. Hopefully got some backup of personal files.
Am always saving a disk image to external hd before any major work (aka major f***up :O), to have the option for a restore to 100% pre-experiment state, this is good > Macrium Reflect Free
I might give that a try. I mainly use File Sync & Backup Software | GoodSync to copy all my essential files over to an external disk every few weeks.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
I might give that a try. I mainly use File Sync & Backup Software | GoodSync to copy all my essential files over to an external disk every few weeks.
Reflect has been excellent here over years of use, a savior for any and all late night catastrophies :O)

IMO having some fresh disk image available is also the best possible virus cleaning tool if one is struck by something really nasty (like Windows 10 :O)

& any Reflect disk image file on the external hd can be 'mounted' as a normal drive, and one can then access\copy any individual file\directory from it.

A

Archive4

Wasn´t sure which way to go with this, so went to room 101.
Big Brother ( who runs his own computer business in Cardiff advised )
" at mo w10 is poison;
reports that once loaded people cant return (downgrade) and re-activate previous os;
MS plan to charge yearly fee for W10.

in my opinion at moment I would not recommend it "

That works for me!

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Nuff said ..
Bag o shyte..

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I tried the 30 day trial on my desktop & agree with Timmytech it is very intrusive so have now gone back to W7 & the 1st impression is W7 is much faster:) sending all that data back to MS seems to slow down W10 :eek:
I will monitor W7 upgrades now as MS is not to be trusted :(

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have to say I'm not a fan of all this data mining, but accept some of it can be useful. I've disabled all intrusive apps that I can on my PC with 10 installed and aside from the odd glitch, it seems to have settled down now.

I've still got my old PC running Windows XP, but only really use it for email and browser to show sats uk forum page. Will have to upgrade it soon, but may sling Windows 7 on it, as I still have a full licenced second copy. My laptop I'll probably not upgrade, as it's on 7 and I only use it for the odd off site router setup and when I'm on holiday in France.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've still got my old PC running Windows XP, but only really use it for email and browser to show sats uk forum page.
Presumably IE8 or are you running another browser on it?

I ask because when I came back from holiday to to my works XP/IE8 machine the Satellites page wouldn't display properly. The hated floating top bar wasn't present at all. A victory you might think but the trouble was that there were buttons for Recent Posts etc., so not very useful at all.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I use Chrome on all machines Paul, as it enables me to have same home pages and favourites across them all via my google account.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

That said, I think some people's fears about Microsoft looking over your shoulder are over-the-top. And, I speak as someone who looks at Microsoft with a great deal of suspicion.

What you need to realize is that Microsoft has made Windows 10 both a desktop and a cloud operating system. Adding cloud functionality means that when you run Windows 10 you'll be sharing far more information with Microsoft and its partner customers than ever before.

For example, while Windows 10 doesn't have a keylogger it does collect your keystrokes and voice to improve spell-checking and voice recognition. Before having a fit about this, keep in mind that every cloud-based software-as-a-service (SaaS) program does this to one degree or another. Google Docs, Apple's Siri, Office 365, whatever -- they all collect not just your final words but every keystroke and spoken syllable that went into making those words.

It's another case with Wi-Fi Sense. You don't need to be afraid that Wi-FI Sense will let any of your Skype, Outlook, or Hotmail contacts use your Wi-Fi network without your permission. Yes, Wi-Fi Sense is on by default, but take a closer look. It doesn't permit anyone to use any of your Wi-FI networks without your specific permission.

Read the full article here:
How to secure Windows 10: The paranoid's guide | ZDNet

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
One more anti -telemetry\ -spying\ -'enhance the user experience' program AntiSpy for Windows 10 Makes Microsoft’s Data Collection Services Useless

Quite a good collection of such programs available now, and will probably be regularly updated if MS eventually tries to counteract them.

IMO, w10 is a ms datalogger disguised as an OS. But now seems w10 users can get quite some control, and choose to use w10 in it's standard ms-zombie form, or, using some small extra program(s), make it a personal OS.