Freesat in cyprus

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
borderman said:
Thanks for the prompt reply. Are you implying that SKY will go the same way? Some friends of mine have lost some SKY channels but gained others.

Highly unlikely for the time being as the sky pay package, especially the sports and movies brings sky a lot of custom via expats and if they narrow beamed the sports and movies they would loose a big cunk of custom, and we all know sky dont want to loose a big chunk of their customer base because they are money orientated and would rather leave the premium channels on a wide beam so they can continue to rake it in from expats

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
smoggy07 said:
Highly unlikely for the time being as the sky pay package, especially the sports and movies brings sky a lot of custom via expats and if they narrow beamed the sports and movies they would loose a big cunk of custom, and we all know sky dont want to loose a big chunk of their customer base because they are money orientated and would rather leave the premium channels on a wide beam so they can continue to rake it in from expats
I agree. All these years and the transponders that have been untouched are the sports,movies ,mtv and documentaries. Good money earners. And in some cases the HD version is better than the SD version. Well played sky.

Spiggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Foxsat HDR, Linux Mint,
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
Zorba said:
All ITV and CH 4 FTA gone. Transponders switched off. Only BBC left. So your Freesat box will be virtually useless. You need a Sky digibox with a white card to get ITV and CH4 back. For now.

My Humax Foxsat HDR was set up in the UK and up until the end of last year was working perfectly here in Larnaca, coupled to a 3.2m dish. I've been off-island for a couple of months and on my return, only BBC1/2 were working.

I tried a Sky+ box with a white card and can get everything BUT BBC1/2

Foolishly I screwed around with the settings of the Humax before reading this forum. As a result I have lost my Freeview settings imported from the UK. Even with my UK postcode, the box says it's invalid postcode and won't let me in again.

I will have to take it to the UK in March and go through the whole rigmarole again - unless someone has a better idea (how to hack the Humax?)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Spiggy said:
My Humax Foxsat HDR was set up in the UK and up until the end of last year was working perfectly here in Larnaca, coupled to a 3.2m dish. I've been off-island for a couple of months and on my return, only BBC1/2 were working.

Foolishly I screwed around with the settings of the Humax before reading this forum. As a result I have lost my Freeview settings imported from the UK. Even with my UK postcode, the box says it's invalid postcode and won't let me in again.

I will have to take it to the UK in March and go through the whole rigmarole again - unless someone has a better idea (how to hack the Humax?)
When did you get back ? We lost ALL BBC for good on Friday morning, so you can only receive ITV,CH4 and Pick TV on a freesat sky card.
It also means that your Humax will not get ANY freesat channels apart from the news channels, even if it did accept your post code.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Spiggy said:

Most of the PSB families of channels are no longer available in Cyprus.

Whats still available is detailed here:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...ra-1n-heres-where-find-main-psb-channels.html

You need to find an IPTV solution for the rest now.

Spiggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
It was Friday (completely by coincidence) that I tried to manually tune the Humax box! From what you say, even taking it back to the UK for a Freesat retune won't help.

Although I get ITV1, I can't get CH4 - can you help? Shows in the EPG but no signal message. I tried all the freqs listed in the link given by Analoguesat.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Spiggy said:
Although I get ITV1, I can't get CH4 - can you help? Shows in the EPG but no signal message. I tried all the freqs listed in the link given by Analoguesat.

Channel 4 is still on 12.480V, I'm viewing it right now. You'll need a Sky box with an active Sky card and a dish big enough to get the north beam. You'll need to manually tune in the channels and select them from the Other Channels menu. E4 and More4 and the music channels on that transponder need a subscription but Channel 4 is FTV.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
You will not get CH4 on 104. Manually tune 12.480 V .

Spiggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Larnaca, Cyprus
Thanks for that, but I still can't get C4. It appears in the Other Channels lineup when I select 12.480/V as do E4 and More 4, but I continue to get the No signal message. I have a 3.2m dish - as big as a jacuzzi, but still no luck. Maybe Larnaca is just too far East?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Spiggy said:
Thanks for that, but I still can't get C4. It appears in the Other Channels lineup when I select 12.480/V as do E4 and More 4, but I continue to get the No signal message. I have a 3.2m dish - as big as a jacuzzi, but still no luck. Maybe Larnaca is just too far East?

Something is not right, if you can tune them in to the other channels menu then you are getting a signal of some sort. I would have thought a 3.2m would get the Astra 2A/2B north beams.

I assume you are selecting the channel via the Other Channels menu? Not by typing in 104.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Spiggy said:
Do you have a cordless phone near your digibox or in the same room ? If so ,turn off the power to it and see if CH4 works. E4 not free.

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
Hello everyone.

I want to install a dish in Nicosia and purchase a freesat box on ebay to receive most of the Freesat channels, which would be good enough for me. How big does a dish need to be? I figured around 1.8 m but I understand that 2.4 m will receive more channels. Is that right?

Also what is the problem that occured during the last few days with the signal? Is it no longer possible to receive UK channels in Cyprus??? I will be very upset if that is the case!

Thank you very much, any help will be very much appreciated!

ps. please keep the explanations as simple as possible so that I can understand what I need to do! :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Freesat - forget it - a good proportion of the Freesat channels are not available even on dishes of 4m in diameter

The UK PSB channels have swapped over to a new satellite called Astra 1N that cannot be received in the eastern Mediterranean.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Hi gdk.
I don't want to be the one to upset you but I can save you money. Do not buy a freesat box as it will not get the channels you want anymore. We lost ALL free to air channels in Cyprus last week.BBC 1,2,news etc ITV,CH4,Five etc,Film4...all gone.All these channels have moved to 1N which we cannot receive here on our dishes.
But with a sky box and freesat CARD we can still get ITV and CH4 in the "other channels "section.And Five HD on a sky HD box(again with card). The pay channels are okay and still work.
All that works on the freesat box are news channels.
gdkapoel said:
Hello everyone.

I want to install a dish in Nicosia and purchase a freesat box on ebay to receive most of the Freesat channels, which would be good enough for me. How big does a dish need to be? I figured around 1.8 m but I understand that 2.4 m will receive more channels. Is that right?

Also what is the problem that occured during the last few days with the signal? Is it no longer possible to receive UK channels in Cyprus??? I will be very upset if that is the case!

Thank you very much, any help will be very much appreciated!

ps. please keep the explanations as simple as possible so that I can understand what I need to do! :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Zorba said:
But with a sky box and freesat CARD we can still get ITV and CH4 in the "other channels "section.And Five HD on a sky HD box(again with card).

ITV probably not for much longer as ITV are currently rationalising some of the sub regions, and when thats completed they will probably also move over to 1N.

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
thank you very much for the super fast reply despite the fact that you delivered some very bad news for me!

why did they make this change to another satellite? is the change permanent?

if the change is permanent, is their anything i can do to receive as much as possible UK channels?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
All these channels had to leave one satellite and go to the new one. You could go for the pay channels or watch some BBC and ITV on your laptop,but you have to hide your IP address. Something like expatshield.com for example.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
gdkapoel said:
thank you very much for the super fast reply despite the fact that you delivered some very bad news for me!

why did they make this change to another satellite? is the change permanent?

if the change is permanent, is their anything i can do to receive as much as possible UK channels?

The change is indeed permanent, and theres nothing you can do to get the signals back via satellite, unless you want to invest in a 10m military grade dish and let us know if it works. The route forward for you now lies in iptv solutions (tv via broadband)

If you know someone in the the UK or western Europe with FAST broadband then you could get them to host a slingbox for you and placeshift the programming to you, or you could just use the BBCi / ITVi 4OD etc services via expatshield as Zorba says

As for why the change - we think the old satellite Astra 2D was just about at the end of its useful life - the old girl has now been switched off and awaiting her fate.

gdkapoel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in Cyprus
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
Thanks to both of you for the help! You just saved me lots of money! It was good that I thought I'd google things a bit before spending all that money!

I knew about the ip shield thing but I never bothered as I could download the shows I wanted. I installed expatshield right now though, it will be of good use to me! The thing is, nothing can replace UK channels on the telly. But worst case scenario I will connect my laptop to the TV and watch the shows this way!

What is the option for the pay channels? Buy a Sky subscription? Can you please explain simply what do I need to do and how much would it cost?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Know anyone in the UK who could source a subscription for you? If so the cost starts at about 25 quid a month for the basic pay services plus the shipping charges for the equipment.

Movies are about 35, add in sports and it rises to about 45. For HD add an extra tenner onto any of those figures - exact prices can be found on the sky.com website

If you have to use a foreign reseller you can add a hefty middleman fee onto the top.

Or if you know someone in Italy go for Sky Italia - many of the channels have English soundtracks and are easily available in Cyprus on small dishes.