GOT BBC BACK in fringe area

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Reasuring to know that thousands in the UK are missing the BBC too :eek:

The BBC couldn't give a hoot and have informed DSAT viewers to ring up an dish alignment man to sort them out (roughly GBP 65.00 according to the Guardian article). The BBC just do their own thing - we just have to pick up the pieces and pay for a licence.

The BBC reception advice website is a funny read too. If the BBC show 'something' that doesn't have right's clearance for another region "viewers will receive a blank screen and are requested to re-tune to another region" (or words to that effect).

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,966385,00.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/answers.shtml

Can't wait for the next Football World Cup and the fun that will happen then (as happened here in Germany last time round).

I hope EVERYTHING backfires for the BBC )(-red

Have fun,

Mark.

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
According to editorial in new What Satellite BBC governors are getting cold feet about row with sky and american rights holders like Disney are concerned about widespread spillover of FTA signal. They conclude that BBC's grand free to air plan might come to nothing and it's just negotiating tactic to reduce price for conditional access provided by sky.

Has everyone forgotten long winded ITV launch on satellite with same FTA strategy using "tight" beam Astra 2D but when push come to shove they forked out for videoguard.

Once again we outside footprint are left in the lurch. Greg Dyke decided to thumb his nose at Mr. Murdoch just to lick his boots later. )(-red

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
well put skyoutUK :D

I must send my complaint to Disney and some other studios.

Perhaps they could (in a mafia kind of way) sort out the BBC for us.

Regards,

Mark.

xerxes

Reaction score
My Location
Munich, Germany
Originally posted by skyoutUK
According to editorial in new What Satellite BBC governors are getting cold feet about row with sky and american rights holders like Disney are concerned about widespread spillover of FTA signal.

The BBC has only a limited set of options:

1. Stay on 2D, same single strength as now
2. Stay on 2D, with reduced signal strength
3. Stay on 2D and encrypt
4. Return to 2A encrypted ("Please Mr. Murdoch could we have our slot back, please?")
5. Come off of Astra altogether.

Has anyone got any views about what course of action the Beeb are likely to take?

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
BBC's has only couple of viable options:

Stay on 2D encrypted and on EPG (for reduced price from sky, face saving for Greg Dyke) this is most likely to happen.

Broadcast skeleton service with all copyrighted material off "Press 1 on your TV to watch this programme" This is less likely but not impossible.

Transponder strength on Astra 2D is controlled by SES and I very much doubt that anything will be done as it could affect UK itself.

If BBC indeed start to broadcast full service FTA american rights holders will be all over them with legal cost quickly soaring way past what sky is asking for encryption.

Return to 2A is out of the question (unlucky for us, but who cares in UK and BBC especially).

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I'm going to play parrot on skyoutUK's shoulder.

However, I would like to image that the BBC will be forced to move back to 2A. There are a number of possible hassly factors that might facilitate this:

1. Thousands have complained about the loss of DSAT service in the UK. The BBC, naturally, have told users to (effectively) piss-off and fork-out for a dish alignment.

2. Regarding the rights issue: why should RTÉ (for example) have to both fork out for high-cost content and have it encrypted whilst the BBC do what they want. The US studios are only interested in making the best of a deal. RTÉ will, naturally, use the BBC's stance to drive down prices for content aquisition. And we know what happens when the Americans are not happily satisfied.

3. Then, there is the europe question. I laughed to myself this morning whilst hopping past the BBC radio channels on the EPG. I was laughing because one of them was "BBC World Service". Well the world as the BBC sees it, perhaps.

Back to europe. Its hardly in the spirit of the TWF directive. The 'Television Without Frontiers Directive' was, IFAIK, produced by the very same EU commission that has generously rewarded the BBC in the past. Greg's middle finger is working overtime at the moment, isn't it?

Conclusion: if the article on the wotsat website is correct that the BBC have *only* leased two transponders on 2D - well, 48 services do not fit on two transponders: well, do they? OK, Viacom do their best ;)

Wobble wipe back to reality. The BBC will stay put on 2D, encrypted and ignorant of a wider europe. They will lie and bluff and pull the wool over our eyes. The licence fee will be abolished and BSKYB will still make loads of money.

Regards,

Mark.

H

haveagoade

I cant see them reducing signal strength on 2D .
Thats the point its pretty tight at the moment according to the official footprint!
What they going to do at the fringe areas in the UK ROI? Get a 80cm dish for when they lose signal in bad weather?
Unless they can confine the footprint to precisely the broadcast rights areas then its pointless.
The BBc are going to have to come off encryption and then fudge the rights issue.