cos32

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
PaulR said:
I think that's the whole point.

What cos32 is saying is that the HD box might be more sensitive and pull in the SD channels at times when other boxes give up the ghost.

That is exactly what I am saying.

apepper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky dish in the uk, 3.6m dish Cyprus
My Location
UK/Cyprus
But has anyone tried an SD freesat box in Cyprus?

-Andrew

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well,like I posted before, a customer brought over 1 HD freesat and 2 SD freesats(all Goodmans) but We could not get them to work because they have to find the default freesat frequency. I have asked a couple of people to get me Humax SD freesats but they can't find any,only HD.

apepper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK/Cyprus
Ah, I must have missed you're earlier posts. I don't think Humax make SD Freesat boxes.

Judging by other reports, the Bush HD box is even more sensitive than the Humax, but the Bush may have the same problem with not being able to receive the Eurobird satellite.

I'm coming back to Cyprus in October and my original plan was to bring a Freesat box with me instead of the Sky box I usually have to take back and forth, but the lack of EPG puts me in a bit of a quandry - it means I won't be able to set up recordings very easily with Freesat. Is it possible to get the Humax box to automatically tune to a given channel at a given time without the EPG?

-Andrew

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well,if you go back and forth,can you buy lots of different makes and models from Argos,then we can test them here,and the ones that do not work can be taken back and you can be refunded ?:)

apepper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK/Cyprus
We come over for few months at a time, so we can't really do that. I'll keep looking around the net for experiences of Freesat abroad.

apepper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK/Cyprus
We're returning to Cyprus on Sunday; I'm taking a Foxsat - delighted to be able to cancel sky! - I put in an Oxford postcode, so the ITV region is Central South, but I've replaced the BBC1 with BBC1 London. I'll report back on reception.

-Andrew

apepper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK/Cyprus
As promised, some notes on reception.

The reception is better - although not sensationally - than a Pace Sky box. My neighbour shares my dish, and I could receive BBC 1 for a few more minutes with the Humax HD than he could with his Sky box.

The picture is MUCH better with the Humax - I think that's because of the HDMI connection; there seems to be some interference between the Scart connection and the local analogue TV signal, which affected the Sky connection.

As noted, there is no HD reception at all, but I do get the EPG - presumably, this is because I configured a postcode in the UK. As I said before, I used an Oxford postcode, so that ITV1 South Central is my preferred ITV1, I then used the optional channels facility to change the BBC 1 to London.

The EPG is better in several ways compared with the Sky; it lists the radio programmes, which sky doesn't, and I can search the listings which is very useful.

Based on my experience, I'm planning to bring the PVR over next year - we get BBC channels until around 7pm (local time) and then they start working again at 10pm so the recorder will be very useful to record any programmes that start after 8pm (UK time).

-Andrew

apepper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK/Cyprus
A further post of snippets; I still plan to get the PVR - assuming it gets reasonable reviews.

Although the EPG works quite well - occasionally there are large gaps and it doesn't get updated with new channels - I only get Five in non-Freesat mode. The box asks me everytime I turn it on if I want to look for new channels, if I say yes it never finds any. I presume this is because the postcode database isn't being received. Unless Humax do some magic with allowing the postcode to be verified via the network connection, I guess we're stuck with this.

Still fairly pleased with the box; there are minor niggles - when pressing guide you get a list of channel types (Entertainment, News etc) but there's no shortcut numbers for each catagory - with the Sky box, you can press Guide 5 to go straight to Sports (say). With Humax you do Guide, Down Arrow, Down Arrow, Down Arrow, Enter.

I've also had the odd crash - always in Text mode, the box will do a restart.

Still much better picture than the sky box though!

-Andrew

ynotdu

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also U P C Ireland
My Location
Ireland
cos32 said:
Hello to all,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have just bought a Humax HD
freesat box to Cyprus. If I try to go through the Freesat menu
it asks for a post code.

No matter what post code I put in even my
UK post code it just will not accept it. Does anyone know why?

As a freesat box does not transmit in anyway so why will it not
go any further. If I go and do it manually it tunes to all the FTA
and works.

Can anyone help? :confused

Cos32
If You are a Soccer fan be very careful what postcode You eventually suceed with.B B C Scotland often has S.P.L Match,s exclusive to Scotland(I learned that the hard way !!!! lol)good luck with Your problem M8

Wolfy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50cm satellite dish (no markings), Sky satellite receiver, Sony 46 in LCD TV. Apple Mac not connected to above.
My Location
Belgium
Hi Folks,
I am in Belgium and currently getting a reasonable service from a Sky satellite receiver. I have bought a Humax Freesat HD satellite receiver. I have seen it described as a straightforward 'plug and play' replacement for Sky. However, when I replace the Sky box with the Humax one, the latter cannot detect a signal.
Is there a difference between the Sky and Freesat signals on the same satellite?
Or does Freesat run off a different satellite to Sky? (That is to say, do I need to realign the satellite dish?)
On top of that, I cannot get the box to accept any of the postcodes I enter, but I'm guessing that might be something to do with the lack of signal.
Grateful for any advice. Cheers
Wolfy

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Sounds like you can't receive the Eurobird signal which you need for setup. Did the Sky receiver ever play up on some channels?

fuelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4Mtr dish 0.3Lnb Thompson(Sky)Box
Freesat card(FTV/FTA)
2nd Dish 1Mtr 0.3Lnb for Astra1 using old Sky box for Eurosport(German)on 12226H-27.5-3/4
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
zorba said:
Has anybody else tried a freesat humax out of the UK ?

The guy next door to me here in Spain (Costa Blanca) has a Humax HD box up and running from a Community 2.4M dish, using a Manchester post code....all Freesat channels as of 28/11/2008....(still waiting for C5)

Wolfy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50cm satellite dish (no markings), Sky satellite receiver, Sony 46 in LCD TV. Apple Mac not connected to above.
My Location
Belgium
snap said:
Sounds like you can't receive the Eurobird signal which you need for setup. Did the Sky receiver ever play up on some channels?

I had some problems. Now got it set up by manually rather than automatic tuning. I had to select each transponder in turn. I think we are on the edge of the coverage with a 50 cm dish. When we travel back to the UK in a couple of weeks, I will take it with me and try and get it tuned automatically o a friends dish there.

geoff lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm technomate 1500 essex uk/ 1mt pace digibox playa flamenca costa blanca
My Location
essex/costa blanca
hi have spoke to you before about your 1.4 dish, our community is getting prices to have a 2.4 dish, you mentioned your neighbour has one , do you no what make it is, i no a lot of people are going for the portugese one, are they happy with it, and do you no who supplied it. any info would be good as i can pass this on to the person whos dealing with it, we are in playa flamenca and there ar about 20 houses who want to be connected thanks geoff

fuelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4Mtr dish 0.3Lnb Thompson(Sky)Box
Freesat card(FTV/FTA)
2nd Dish 1Mtr 0.3Lnb for Astra1 using old Sky box for Eurosport(German)on 12226H-27.5-3/4
My Location
Costa Blanca, Spain
geoff lee said:
hi have spoke to you before about your 1.4 dish, our community is getting prices to have a 2.4 dish, you mentioned your neighbour has one , do you no what make it is, i no a lot of people are going for the portugese one, are they happy with it, and do you no who supplied it. any info would be good as i can pass this on to the person whos dealing with it, we are in playa flamenca and there ar about 20 houses who want to be connected thanks geoff

Hi Geoff,

The company that was used for the community system is called... Magnet TV, they are at Villa Martin, Costa Blanca. The dish is a Portuguese 2.4Mtr The installed system supplies over 40 houses.

Let me know how you get on.

geoff lee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm technomate 1500 essex uk/ 1mt pace digibox playa flamenca costa blanca
My Location
essex/costa blanca
ok thanks fuelman, will pass this info on, and will let you no

Worldwide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat HD
MacBook Pro
My Location
United Kingdom
Amazing as it may seem the following actually works on a HUMAX Freesat HD:

Simply enter: "UK" in capitals as a postcode. You will receive the London regions on channels 101 and 103.

I hope this works for you. It certainly works for me.

JCo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish on 28E with Humax Foxsat HDR receiver
My Location
Calafell, between Barcelona and Taragona, Spain
I have a Humax HDR Freesat box in Spain. But I set up with postcode, software update, etc in UK before I took it to Spain. It's brilliant.

BobH96

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
iMac 24"
Humax pvr twin
My Location
Germany
I was thinking of buying a Humax Freesat HD. But i would like to know if it has a Diseqc on board.
I must change the Humax to Diseqc B

At the moment A Astra 19
B Astra 28,2
Thanks for any help BOB

Status
Not open for further replies.