Help Required No Signal on Freesat Setup

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Unkown Satellite that is correctly aligned to ASTRA 28.2? (145 degrees clockwise).
My Location
Luton, England
Hi, I have an LG 43UJ634V, which has an inbuilt FreeSat Tuner. I had a Satellite set up, that is pointed in the correct direction, as it was working for previous tenants, and I have checked the directions using DishPointer. The LNB (not sure if this is correct) goes from the satellite through the wall and into my room. This cable is then connected to a TV/Data Isolator, and then to a separate cable I bought which connect the two F-Plugs (one in the isolator, the other to my TV). Yet, I can not tune the TV (for freesat), and the TV finds no programs or signal. Any help here, as I am new to this, and have just done my own research but could not find a solution. Would it be the cable to the TV?

Any Help Would be Much Appreciated

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Unkown Satellite that is correctly aligned to ASTRA 28.2? (145 degrees clockwise).
My Location
Luton, England
Just to help you picture the setup: Satellite > LNB > Isolator > Cable with F Plugs on both sides > TV .

A

archive10

Hi, I have an LG 43UJ634V, which has an inbuilt FreeSat Tuner. I had a Satellite set up, that is pointed in the correct direction, as it was working for previous tenants, and I have checked the directions using DishPointer. The LNB (not sure if this is correct) goes from the satellite through the wall and into my room. This cable is then connected to a TV/Data Isolator, and then to a separate cable I bought which connect the two F-Plugs (one in the isolator, the other to my TV). Yet, I can not tune the TV (for freesat), and the TV finds no programs or signal. Any help here, as I am new to this, and have just done my own research but could not find a solution. Would it be the cable to the TV?

Any Help Would be Much Appreciated
If there is a "TV/Data isolator" it sounds a lot like cable TV.
Are your sure it is the right connector box?

Even better: Can you please post some pictures? It's so much easier...

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton, England
Thanks for the Reply

If there is a "TV/Data isolator" it sounds a lot like cable TV.
Are your sure it is the right connector box?

Yes, my broadband comes through ADSL, not cable, as I am not with Virgin Media. I know of no cable tv subscription? Even when I do run the cable tuner, nothing is detected. Anyway, the end of the isolator has a satellite connector so Im not sure it is cable TV? I was told the isolators are put in to protect equipment from power surges???

Here are a few pictures (would a pic of the satellite help, its night time now so I could upload one in the morning?) Also, do you want to see a copy of my LG Satellite Settings (they are set to default)?

Attachments

• isolator.jpg
    isolator.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 27
  • tv sat-min.jpg
    tv sat-min.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 26

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Can you try connecting the cable that goes into the isolator direct to the TV as a test.

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton, England
Can you try connecting the cable that goes into the isolator direct to the TV as a test.

I've tried this, however my cable was jot long enough to go straight into the TV, so instead I joined the two cables with just a connector

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    748.8 KB · Views: 20

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
145 degrees clockwise is not Astra.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
If you have an antenna with your LNB, you need to feed (13 / 18V), with the asilador do not let the feed to the LNB.

Note: The isolator as such isolates, but the one you put is for TV, it only works from 5-1000Mhz, it is not valid for signals from community installations, where the LNB is powered by the installation, the signal goes from 950-2200Mhz.
For the subject of overvoltages (lightning) you need to put gas ("chiper") and clear, a good connection to earth that supports these discharges, are different subjects.
-----------
Si tienes antena con su LNB, necesitas alimentar (13/18V), con el asilador no dejas pasar la alimentacion al LNB.

Nota: El aislador como tal aisla, pero el que pones es para TV, solo funciona de 5-1000Mhz, no es valido para señales de instalaciones comunitarias, donde el LNB es alimentado por la instalacion, la señal va de 950-2200Mhz.
Para el tema de sobretensiones (rayos) necesitas poner descargadores de gas ("chipero") y claro, una buena conexion a tierra que soporte estas descargas, son temas distintos.

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton, England
145 degrees clockwise is not Astra.

It is??? I used DishPointer to set it up. Its approx Sout East and is in the same direction as the other satellites on my road

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton, England
If you have an antenna with your LNB, you need to feed (13 / 18V), with the asilador do not let the feed to the LNB.

Im afraid I dont understand. The LNB comes from the satellite. What is an asilador???

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
Im afraid I dont understand. The LNB comes from the satellite. What is an isolator???

isolator (Located the guilty finger).:-doh
If you have an antenna with your LNB, you need to feed (13 / 18V), with the isolator you will not let the feed to the LNB.
-------------
Si tienes antena con su LNB, necesitas alimentar (13/18V), con el aislador no dejas pasar la alimentacion al LNB.

Removing the isolator and placing the double female F (according to the photo you show), performs a blind search from the LG TV.
If you correctly point to a satellite and everything is fine, you will find channels.
-------------
Quitado el aislador y puesta la doble hembra F (segun foto que muestras), realiza una busqueda ciega desde la TV LG.
Si apunta correctamente a un satelite y todo esta bien, encontrara canales.

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton, England
isolator (Located the guilty finger).:-doh

No problem, I realised what you meant anyways. I realised, after a lot of searching, that satellites need to be powered (of course they do). I then realised I had a power switch near the satellites that was before useless. I have switched thos on and I am currently testing the satellite. I'll get back to you if Im successful. I guess the reason I was such a noob is because of the shabby wiring job done by the landlord

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
This is no longer the age of analogue, digital signals work on the cliff principle, when the signal is reduced sufficiently the signal falls off a cliff. Gone are the days of getting a snowy picture and fine tuning from that, dish pointer will not (unless you are extremely lucky) get you to within a couple of degrees of the satellite, especially if you need to set the elevation. Perhaps a photo of the dish will enlighten us?

A

archive10

No problem, I realised what you meant anyways. I realised, after a lot of searching, that satellites need to be powered (of course they do). I then realised I had a power switch near the satellites that was before useless. I have switched thos on and I am currently testing the satellite. I'll get back to you if Im successful. I guess the reason I was such a noob is because of the shabby wiring job done by the landlord
Just to be precise: The satellite is a spacecraft orbiting the earth some 36000 km away from us.
The antenna is mounted outside the house, and is pointing in the direction of the satellite.
The antenna consists of the round'ish reflector ("the dish") and the LNB, which is a piece of Electronics that make the very high frequency signals (10 GHz) from Space into something (1-2.4 GHz) that can be sent Down a cable to your reciever.
The receiver is either a set-top box, or built into the TV, as you have.

NOW,
no power switches on the wall should have any impact on the operation of the LNB.
The LNB is powered fom the receiver, indeed it says so on the back of your tv.

In communal systems, and in some private systems, you often mix the output from the LNB (the signal from the satellite) with the tv signals coming through an aerial (typically 400-800 MHz).
The Little metal box ("the isolator") that you have filters out anything above 1000 MHz (1GHz), so that only the Aerial signals are sent to the TV. (it says 5-1000MHz on the box - this it was it passes through.)
Your problem is therefore that the box removes exactly all of the satellite signals that you are looking for.
What you need is therefore:
a) a splitter that provide TV aerial signals (<1GHz) on one output, and sat signals (>1GHz) on another, or
b) a simple barrel-connector which is a female-to-female coupler. Most sat receiver ignore the tv signals < 1GHz.
Option a is below £10, and b is below £1. You can get them easily on the internet, or in shops.

For a really quick fix, put the tv on the floor next ot the Black cable so you can plug it directly into the tv. Then try scanning.
As Topper says, it is not enough that the dish is pointing in the general direction. It needs to be precisely aligned pointing at the point in the sky where the satellite is. If you moved the dish since you started, then you will need to align the dish to 28.2E again. This is best done using a meter, but you can also use the TV and shouting through the window at the person moving the antenna. There's info elsewhere on the site on how to do this.

This is of course assuming that there is indeed sat signals coming through the Black cable.
It could be damaged or disconnected...

Last edited by a moderator:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Little metal box ("the isolator") that you have filters out anything above 1000 MHz (1GHz), so that only the Aerial signals are sent to the TV. (it says 5-1000MHz on the box - this it was it passes through.)
Your problem is therefore that the box removes exactly all of the satellite signals that you are looking for.

In this case, the little box is a galvanic isolator, not a filter and used pretty much exclusively on cable systems to electrically isolate a dwelling.

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton, England
In this case, the little box is a galvanic isolator, not a filter and used pretty much exclusively on cable systems to electrically isolate a dwelling.

Everyones help is much appreciated. I have just realised that the cables that run to my room are indeed cable systems from NTL. I realised this after looking at the cable runs and found they came to an NTL box at the front. Yet, I have 3 satellites mounted, two are single LNB, and one is a Sky quad LNB. I was only to find the sky satellite cables, and found they terminate (in pairs) in my room and downstairs. However, they are cut off, and was wondering whether i could put an f connector on one of the cables and join it to my TV. Would this work, or do both cables have to be used as it is a Twin Cable (what is says on the cable). Guess I figured out why the TV wasnt picking up signal. One problem sorted, next one to go?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You have two feeds, so you should be able to use either cable, for your television, providing the dish is still pointing at 28.2E, and the LNB is fine.

A

archive10

I have just realised that the cables that run to my room are indeed cable systems from NTL. I realised this after looking at the cable runs and found they came to an NTL box at the front.
As I suspected....
Glad to hear there was a reasonable explanation.
Yet, I have 3 satellites mounted, two are single LNB, and one is a Sky quad LNB. I was only to find the sky satellite cables, and found they terminate (in pairs) in my room and downstairs. However, they are cut off, and was wondering whether i could put an f connector on one of the cables and join it to my TV. Would this work, or do both cables have to be used as it is a Twin Cable (what is says on the cable). Guess I figured out why the TV wasnt picking up signal. One problem sorted, next one to go?
You can fit an F-connector to one of the cables fine, and connect the wire to your TV.
Back to the question: did you adjust the dish outside?

Edit: Beaten to it :)

Abdul Pribula

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton, England
Back to the question: did you adjust the dish outside?
It's a SKY dish, and I havent moved it since, so shouldnt it be pre aligned to 28.2E???

Ive attached a pic, any one of these cables should work right?

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    665.6 KB · Views: 9

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Assuming the cabling outside isnt damaged then yeas those cables from the dish should be fine. If the cables are at all suspect run new cables from the dish.