Newbie Here Satellite Setup Help

David Connolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Sky Dish, Vu+ Zero.
My Location
Kildare, Ireland
Hi there, first time posting on the forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section!

I've recently moved into a new house, and setup my satellite upon arrival.
- 60cm Sky Dish
- Vu+ Reciever
- Zinwell Single LNB

Up until monday it was working perfectly, 99% Signal Strength with around 80-90% Quality.

I now get 0%.

Since the error occured I have tried replacing the LNB and cabling to no avail. The receiver shows no signal, and my signal tester stays at the same level no matter what way the satellite points.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi David welcome to the forum. :)

As it was working we know the basic setup is ok, so something must have chaged First things to check are:

the f-connection(s) at the back of the receiver - its not unknown for the lady of the house to do some dusting, and knock the cabling just enough to dislodge it as the f-conn wasnt screwed onto the cable tight enough

dish misalignment - the dish needs to be within ~1 degree in all directions. You seem to know what you are doing for this one.

lnb failure - especially if its a few years old

cable damage - cables can be damaged by animals chewing them, someone pushing a drawing pin through the outer sheaths onto the inner core, careless use of garden choppers, malicious damage by knife etc.

David Connolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Sky Dish, Vu+ Zero.
My Location
Kildare, Ireland
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I purchased replacement cabling, and replaced and re-ended all cables between the receiver and dish, even purchased new F-Connectors.

I've replaced the LNB at the start of the week, I guess its possible I've gotten very unlucky and purchased a faulty one!

At my wits end at the moment! Have another LNB in the post so i'll have to try that!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hmm its possible the receiver has failed of course, although its pretty unlikely. As is the idea of getting a new duff lnb. Not impossible but one to bear in mind. Dish misalignment would seem to be the most likely cause remaining to me.

David Connolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Sky Dish, Vu+ Zero.
My Location
Kildare, Ireland
Thats what I thought too, but why would my signal meter read the same output no matter which way its pointed if thats the case?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You mention a signal tester, can you please tell us if this is a satellite meter?
If so which one do you have, make/model?

David Connolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Sky Dish, Vu+ Zero.
My Location
Kildare, Ireland
Its similar to the one here

Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Satfinder-Satellite-Installation-Tool/dp/B000M4FRSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446062420&sr=8-1&keywords=satellite+signal+meter

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Good, that's similar to mine.
Once connected, to the LNB, and the cable, from your receiver, and the receiver is turned on, it should light up, showing that you are getting a connection.
You then turn the knob, to increase sensitivity, and you should get a signal, no matter where the dish is pointing, you then adjust the knob until the signal is around 5, then gently move the dish, to get to 10.
Yopu then decrease the sensitivity, to 5, by turning the knob, move the dish, to get 10, and keep doing this until you have the strongest signal possible, moving the dish East/West, then tilting it Up/Down.
You can then check which satellite you're alignerd to.
If the meter doesn't light up, then either the connections are faulty, the meter is broken, the LNB isn't working, or the receiver isn't sending a signal.
Please post back with information, regarding what happened, when you connected your satellite meter.

David Connolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Sky Dish, Vu+ Zero.
My Location
Kildare, Ireland
Yeah the meter lights up, I turned the knob till the needle was at around 5, and no matter where I point it it remains at 5.

I know the signal meter is working as I used it to tune my parents satellite dish at the weekend, and its also the device I used to position the dish when I originally moved in.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Sounds like a faulty LNB to me. That's the only thing that's common here.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
What's the elevation, of the dish?
Can you post any pictures, of the dish, bracket, LNB, etc?
I not sure the meter would work if the LNB wasn't working, why not test it on the old LNB.
Please post some pictures, if possible, in case someone can spot an obvious problem.

David Connolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm Sky Dish, Vu+ Zero.
My Location
Kildare, Ireland
Hi All,

Just an update for anyone else reading this, I just got very unlucky and the replacement LNB was faulty, fitted a new Quad LNB last night and all now functioning properly again.

Thanks for the assistance!