Saved from the scrapheap....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Well, last night as I was walking home from Asda (24 hour one you see), I happened to spot an LNB arm poking out of a skip, with an LNB attatched, so went over to have a nosey and there was a big ol' satellite dish sitting in the skip, so I took my stuff home and promptly returned to the skip and checked again and it was still there, so I hauled it out, and as I was about to walk off with it, the cable that was attatched to it snagged on something in the skip, and as I had no pliers or anything with me to cut it I just yanked the cable out of the F plug and chucked it back in the skip (the cable, not the dish!!!) and took off home as fast as I could, as there was a CCTV camera nearby watching me, and got it indoors... :D

I think there was a minidish there too, but that was left there to rot, the pathetic little thing, and there was no LNB on it... O-Ha

But anyway, the dish is a perforated, type has a Grundig "Digital" LNB on it, it's a bit loose in the clamp, but I'll sort that out, the bolts looks a bit rusted as does the back of the dish (well, it's not easy to see unless you go in up close, but it's there spots of rust developing...), but it still has a wall mount and the LNB arm is undamaged.... :D

Oh I do wish I had a garden, it'd end up like Analoguesat's though, minus the car tyre mounts... :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im still using my first scavenged dish - the one I found lying on the side of the road one bin day, so turned round and grabbed it. Since then its being joined by one out of the local woods (had been bent double), one that some kids have jumped on. Plus assorted others......

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
With this addition, I now have 6 dishes and my Attisat FPA, soon to be joined by the dish from the receiver and dish kit from lidl.... :D

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Nice find 2cv...you should go back tonight to see what receiver it was connected to...

When I was at school I found a 1.2m prime dish lying by a bin on the roadside, I hid it behind a bookcase at school while contemplating how to get it home. In the meantime the art teacher who was as crazy as a coconut stole it, sprayed it with fluorescent paint and welded it to the top of a statue thing he had built.O-st

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PoloMint said:
Nice find 2cv...you should go back tonight to see what receiver it was connected to...

When I was at school I found a 1.2m prime dish lying by a bin on the roadside, I hid it behind a bookcase at school while contemplating how to get it home. In the meantime the art teacher who was as crazy as a coconut stole it, sprayed it with fluorescent paint and welded it to the top of a statue thing he had built.O-st

It was full of garden rubbish & rubble, so if there was a receiver in there it'll be knackered now, plus the skip's gone, anyway, got my 4 receivers to pick up from the PO sorting office.... :D

Bleedin' teachers, they think that cos they're older than the pupils that they can do anything they like, including stealing a pupils property!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've taken the dish apart for cleaning (it's covered in what looks like soot or something, it's made my hands black!!!), the LNB clamp was stuck cos the screw was rusted and the other screw had snapped, hence the loose LNB, so I had to break it to get the LNB out for testing (It's universal and 0.6d:cool:, also the LNB clamp was attatched with a big screw bolt (I'll get a pic of it to explain what I mean!!!) so that took a bit of effort to remove, the inside of the LNB arm was full of black rust (the type that isn't exposed to the elephants so doesn't turn orange), the bracket & arm are ok, the inside of the arm is rusted so I may sling that as it's probably weakened a lot, and finally, I stuck my Cambridge UniversalIII 0.7dB LNB onto the LNB arm and secured it with zip-ties (another of Analoguesat's ideas in use!!! :D ), just cos it suits this old dish, I'll pop a Humax 0.3dB onto it when it comes to trying the dish out... :D

Next step is to clean it up, sand it down & give the dish face a new coat of matt black paint to keep it rust free and give the dish face bolts a coat of Jenolite to sort the rust out to keep them in one piece... :D

I wonder if the government will give me a rebate on me council tax for doing my bit for recycling (especially as Pendle Bourough Council are suing anyone who they say isn't recycling)... :-rofl2

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
2cvbloke said:
Well, last night as I was walking home from Asda (24 hour one you see), I happened to spot an LNB arm poking out of a skip, with an LNB attatched, so went over to have a nosey and there was a big ol' satellite dish sitting in the skip, so I took my stuff home and promptly returned to the skip and checked again and it was still there, so I hauled it out, and as I was about to walk off with it, the cable that was attatched to it snagged on something in the skip, and as I had no pliers or anything with me to cut it I just yanked the cable out of the F plug and chucked it back in the skip (the cable, not the dish!!!) and took off home as fast as I could, as there was a CCTV camera nearby watching me, and got it indoors... :D

I think there was a minidish there too, but that was left there to rot, the pathetic little thing, and there was no LNB on it... O-Ha

But anyway, the dish is a perforated, type has a Grundig "Digital" LNB on it, it's a bit loose in the clamp, but I'll sort that out, the bolts looks a bit rusted as does the back of the dish (well, it's not easy to see unless you go in up close, but it's there spots of rust developing...), but it still has a wall mount and the LNB arm is undamaged.... :D

Oh I do wish I had a garden, it'd end up like Analoguesat's though, minus the car tyre mounts... :-rofl2

I don't want to sound rude - forget the find, but WTF - that duvet looks a bit manky :-rofl2 . Maybe you should put it IN in the blue duvet cover there 2CV! hehe.:eek:

Mind, you want to see the state of my pillows. Actually, I take that back - no you will never know the state of my pillows (over ten years old) - blech!

[edit: I would have done the same (dumpster dunking) - specially if it was dark and raining. v. odd]

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
I don't want to sound rude - forget the find, but WTF - that duvet looks a bit manky :-rofl2 . Maybe you should put it IN in the blue duvet cover there 2CV! hehe.:eek:

Mind, you want to see the state of my pillows. Actually, I take that back - no you will never know the state of my pillows (over ten years old) - blech!

[edit: I would have done the same (dumpster dunking) - specially if it was dark and raining. v. odd]

Erm, there's a Duvet already in the blue cover, I just use that duvet to cushion my lumpy as hell materess, I was in the middle of changing the sheet when the dish distracted me and told me to take a pic or two of it.... :D

10 year old pillows!?!?!?! Mine are barely a few months and they're flat as pancakes!!! :-rofl2

I thought the phrase was Dumpster Diving? :p :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Remind me never to stay over, no matter how Brahms.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
2cvbloke said:
I thought the phrase was Dumpster Diving? :p :D

Probably - I had just forgotten the word 'skip' when I was typing my post at some unearthly hour. :D

Mind, 'Dumpster Diving' sounds better than 'Skip Scavenging'.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
some sod's knicked my dish,

ive been renovating house and was relocating dish, so ....i put it on skip for safe keeping while i went to get ladder, and it's gone any ideas?O-Ha

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
BarMoo said:
Mind, 'Dumpster Diving' sounds better than 'Skip Scavenging'.

...and I thought it was 'skip surfing'...

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Interesting this, because I still have my white, one metre dish behind my shed. I'm wondering if I should mount it again...

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
*2CVBloke, don't worry about what the others say I think it's very nice of you to give a poor homeless dish a bed for the night.:D

See picture below.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
PoloMint said:
...and I thought it was 'skip surfing'...

Oh, well, hehe. Guess I should make UrbanDictionary more prominant in my favourites list.:-rofl2

Surfing? Conjures up a completey different image.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Dumpsters are American, Brits use skips.

The French use bennes (bens?). What do other countries use?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sir Bronking said:
some sod's knicked my dish,

ive been renovating house and was relocating dish, so ....i put it on skip for safe keeping while i went to get ladder, and it's gone any ideas?O-Ha

Sounds a bit dodgy getting a set of ladders at 1 in the morning.... :-rofl2

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
PaulR said:
Dumpsters are American, Brits use skips.

The French use bennes (bens?). What do other countries use?

The believe the correct German word is 'Müllcontainer' - which sounds as interesting as that yoghurt brand of a similar name. Müll = rubbish/refuse/waste. So, you can probably work out the origins of the yoghurt maker.

Joking. Actually, a 'Müller' is a 'miller' (presumably of a grain variety). Sorry, went OT there, hehe.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Saturlight said:
Interesting this, because I still have my white, one metre dish behind my shed. I'm wondering if I should mount it again...

Mounting it again should put off those that cannot deal with fresh covering, but I think your earlier knee tremblers behind the sheds will keep her faithfull.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
you just need a garden now and be like analoguesat with them all on tyres in the garden

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
wod said:
you just need a garden now and be like analoguesat with them all on tyres in the garden

I'm sure I posted that in the last paragraph of my first post.... :-rofl2