Status
Not open for further replies.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Skomedal - does that amount of wood last all winter? I would have thought you'd need more.

The woodshed gets filled each year with 15 euro pallets loaded with 1000 litres of split birch logs on each, the walls and floor of the shed are slatted for good airing.

Regards

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Guess it must be quite a large (or draughty!) house.
Ordinary house, about 160 sq.m., built five years ago. Heated (including water) by wood. Need about 18 cubic meters (my estimate) of wood per year.

mbsnr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ HD - FTA 43W to 42E
My Location
Ireland
What about some turf to "mix it up a bit"? (Yes it all had to go by hand through that little door on the right....) ;)

I have chopped wood as well..... In fact felling some more trees tomorrow for next years supply.

Attachments

• turf.jpg
    turf.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 27

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
mbsnr
Looks like peat, is it?

Regards

Edit
Just found this
Peat is known by the Irish as “Turf”

Last edited:

mbsnr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ HD - FTA 43W to 42E
My Location
Ireland
mbsnr
Looks like peat, is it?

Regards

Edit
Just found this
Peat is known by the Irish as “Turf”

Yeap same thing known as peat in England/Wales/Scotland. Always known in that form as turf here in the West of Ireland. Others will be more familiar with lawn/grass turf, meaning a roll of grass for laying in the garden. The only reference to peat here is the stuff that you get in compost bags in the garden centre.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Back in the previous house, the fireplace wasn't much use at keeping anything but your backside warm, cos it pulled in so much cold air from all the gaps, vents and cracks in the walls, doors, ceilings and floors that it was still frickin' cold in there, plus a weeksworth of coal-related ovoid briquette things cost the same as running the gas for the full month, so in the winter gone, I just stuffed bubblewrap up the chimney and stopped using the fireplace... [insert freezing one's nips off smiley here]

Now a woodstove on the other hand, that really would be a nice thing to have, but, the chimney & fireplace in this house has been plugged up and sealed off, and there's not enough money to have it all opened up and refitted for a stove, though there is evidence there was a gas fire in there at somepoint (still a flue cap in place on the stack), but there's no gas going that way any more so even that's out of the question, so, it's central heating all round, and even though the boiler's working now (for the sake of a flippin' CR2032 cell), the boiler is to be replaced "soon", not sure how soon, but that's all I've heard so far... :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
My preferred modus operandum for Heating has fallen victim to an edict from SWMBO and I've just turned the Central Heating on <_<

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Snowmageddon forecast!!

Forecasters last night warned the entire country is set for a horror freeze which will bring brutal winds and fierce blizzards.

Temperatures have already started to plunge as a swathe of cold air from the Arctic has swept across the UK in the past few days.

The first long-range forecasts warn of "recordbreaking snowfall" next month.

Heavy wintry showers are expected to cause widespread chaos with below-average temperatures possibly lingering until February.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/43...s-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Now a woodstove on the other hand, that really would be a nice thing to have, but, the chimney & fireplace in this house has been plugged up and sealed off, and there's not enough money to have it all opened up and refitted for a stove,

You could do what my grandmother (on my mother's side) used to do later in life, light some kindling and firewood in the middle of the living room (and the bedroom once).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Now don't go giving him ideas!

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Ive decided .....no BBQ today due to the persistent wet stuff stuffing up my weekend.......

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Last weather report I heard, on the radio, stated that we were in for a bad winter, starting soon, with heavy snow.
No doubt our local council will have the gritters ready by March:)
Might be time to close this thread and start the Winter thread.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
The neighbours had a big barby last weekend as it was so mild. Smoky sausage in the Autumn air!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Well, it was 3C this morning and foggy (though I was up early for the F1).....I'd say summer was over here, though the trees show no sign of dropping leaves yet....I've read a couple of reports about the 'worst winter for 100 years'.....wasn't there something similar a couple of years back about a 'barbeque summer'?......I'll believe it if it happens......

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I hate this long range forecasting using previous years data for likeness and then predicting the weather, this has been proven time and again not to be accurate but it all helps sell the papers etc. The met office used to have a 25% accuracy for a 5th day forecast, thats what i work with.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
......but it all helps sell the papers etc........

When I managed a newsagents for four years it was my experience that gloomy, tragic, disaster filled headlines and 'warning' (bordering on scaremongering) predictions sadly sold more newspapers than upbeat happy stories......

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Hopefully not a bad winter as how will people cope, the country already falls apart with a little bit of snow on ground.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
You could do what my grandmother (on my mother's side) used to do later in life, light some kindling and firewood in the middle of the living room (and the bedroom once).

I once tried that with my bed as a (very young) kid... :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, today was nothing but rain, ran and rain again, I definitely vote for closing this thread and moving on to Autumn & Winter 2013-2014, cos there's not going to be any more heatwaves over 20 degrees over most of the country until next year... :lol:

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I definitely vote for closing this thread and moving on to Autumn & Winter 2013-2014, cos there's not going to be any more heatwaves over 20 degrees over most of the country until next year... :lol:
Yes, but this is an international forum and autumn & winter are still a long way off for some people.

weather.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.