Using Linux Receivers To Create Signal Graphs

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
yes.
Use the same list of satellite / tp 's on all computers.
Gender / update on a computer and other office equipment in, it's good to use Enigma2.
It is a custom list with 44 satellites (42 currently active).
----------------
Si.
Uso la misma lista de satelites/tp's en todos los equipos.
Genero/actualizo en un equipo y la cargo en el resto de equipos, es lo bueno de usar Enigma2.
Es un listado personalizado con 44 satelites (42 activos actualmente).

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I don't understand how Waveguide has got something different. Settings are universal across all boxes. If not how could we share them. Also service reference is used for picons, so that wouldn't work either.

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
I have updated fairly recently, device info command results in :

Image Version: Newnigma2 v4.0.5 2013-10-06
Webinterface Version: 1.7.5

Satellites move secretly inside the boxes firmware too?
NSA, FRA or SES conspiracy?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
The custom file looks really good!
Checked the first link and thats only updates if I got it right?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The custom file looks really good!
Checked the first link and thats only updates if I got it right?
Yes, those are updates to satellites.xml contained in OE-Alliance images. It's interesting because it is like a history of all transponder changes and updates, which is something you can't see by looking at a single satellites.xml file.

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
The satellites.xml that was included in the firmware image contained this:
<sat flags="1" name="Astra/Eurobird (28.2E)" position="284">

Changes to satellites.xml will only take effect when doing a new scan I guess?
(adding the new one to /etc/enigma2/ )

Will the lists with favourites suffer after a rescan?
I have created quite a few and rebuilding them would be a major pain in the ....
If the updates are included in the favourites without ruining too much I'd like
to test this now.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

(adding the new one to /etc/enigma2/ )

I have created quite a few and rebuilding them would be a major pain in the ....
to test this now.
satellites.xml is read on every restart and changes are reflected immediately if services don't correspond to an included satellite. Also that 284 is probably why your service references don't match mine. should be 282. Nevertheless if your current settings were made with that configuration, changing to a "correct" satellites.xml my break your bouquets.

Best thing, before you do a scan, is do a backup of your current settings with DBEdit and if something goes wrong at least you'll be able to revert to how it was previously.

Tururu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

Recycled as the owner.
My Location

to test this now.
When scoring the new channels file satellites.xml the erroneous position who are favorites / bouquet is lost.
You should make all the position 28'2 ° East.
If the monitor is large or you work with 2 monitors :-doh you can open two DreamboxEditor and work in 2 different files, to see the changes, it is more comfortable. ;)

In this case is not valid copy of each other, remember that the reference channel is different. :-wow
I don't understand how Waveguide has got something different. Settings are universal across all boxes. If not how could we share them. Also service reference is used for picons, so that wouldn't work either.
Now remark as a reference channel is generated, it is easy to understand the error.

I had the bad habit of generating hand / calculator before DreamboxEdit implement copy or view information channel on the tuner to the picon.
Just rename the picon with the new reference channel, fixed issue, that's easy.
http://satellites-xml.org/
http://satellites-xml.eu/
In these 2 pages that generate the relationship of satellite and tp's, one uses the database LyngSat, for better or worse and the person responsible for putting the data makes mistakes, is not the first nor will be the last.
PS: :-rofl2
-----------------------------------
Al meter el nuevo fichero satellites.xml se pierde los canales de la posicion erronea que esten favoritos/bouquet.
Tendrias que hacer toda la posicion 28'2ºEste.
Si el monitor es grande o trabajas con 2 monitores :-doh puedes abrir 2 DreamboxEditor y trabajar en 2 ficheros distintos, para ver los cambios, es mas comodo.;)

En este caso no es valido copiar de uno al otro, recuerda que la referencia de canal es distinta.:-wow
Ya comente como se genera la referencia de un canal, es facil de entender el error.
Solo con renombrar el picon con la nueva referencia de canal, tema solucionado, eso es facil
Tenia la mala costumbre de generarlos a mano/calculadora antes de que DreamboxEdit implementara copiar o ver la informacion del canal en el sintonizador para realizar el picon.
http://satellites-xml.org/
http://satellites-xml.eu/
En estas 2 paginas que generan la relacion de satelites y tp's, una de ellas usa la base de datos de LyngSat, para bien o para mal y la persona encargada de meter los datos comete errores, no es el primero ni sera el ultimo.
PD: :-rofl2

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
In these 2 pages that generate the relationship of satellite and tp's, one uses the database LyngSat
Well my site is .org. I do use Lyngsat for updates, but positions are hard coded for major satellites. This is necessary because over time Lyngsat have change the position of various clusters and this breaks everybody's E2 settings. Latest change is Lyngsat showing Nilesat cluster as 7.3W. Other positions that have moved about over the last couple of years are, 3E, 4.8E, 16E, and 23.5E to name a few.

Looking at the second site it seems to have 3 copies of Eutelsat at 3.0E, 3.1E & 3.3E. And the other problem is being full up with several thousand inactive transponders.

Last edited:

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
I think I will have to bite the bullet and remove all old stuff and redo everything from scratch.
Two laptops running DreamboxEdit with both the old saved lists and the newly scanned one.
At least two bottles of wine to get the eyes squinting properly to see both laptops at the same time
when I reorganize the 7300 items. (got five lnb's in total, each full of transponders)
Got some bad (and repressed) memories of problems earlier with 4.8/5.0 and similar changes.

I think the settings file is worth keeping, got some info on the switches and relays.
Will the rest of the setup files be automatically deleted if I delete all bouquets or do I
have to delete anything manually?

Question to the booze-shop - "Do you have any cheap wine suitable for satellite box updating"?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Bump: I've shifted a whole bunch of Posts from their original home in the 2F General Discussion Topic. I think the continuity has been maintained to an acceptable degree..

Robinson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish 45E - 30W, Clarke-Tech ET9000
My Location
Poland
Well my site is .org. I do use Lyngsat for updates, but positions are hard coded for major satellites. This is necessary because over time Lyngsat have change the position of various clusters and this breaks everybody's E2 settings. Latest change is Lyngsat showing Nilesat cluster as 7.3W.
Well, it has destroyed mine too. :(
As I have a rotor and I'm on edge of the signal, I actually lost Nilesat 102/201 (they are located at 7.0W, not 7.3W) because my dish now travels 0.3 deg too much to the west. I'm not sure how to solve this.

Tururu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

Recycled as the owner.
My Location
@ Waveguide

As you Enigma2 (DB500HD) with DreamboxEdit, you can edit the file and change satellites.xml hand that position, it's easy.

Low channel list to pc, pikes tools, edit satellites.xml
goej.jpg

You locate the position -73, -70 all modified lines and saved the tp's.
0ztv.jpg

Send channel list with satellites.xml modified file and reboot the tuner.
You would have to have now deco with the position of the correct satellite.

Now you have to find new channels in this position, you must do so by deleting the old channels (cleaning), remember, the reference channel they have now is wrong, is not valid.
Now with lamedb file references updated with new channel, the can add a Bouquet/Favorito you have.

PD: From 61°W to 57°E (+12000).
---------------
Como tienes Enigma2 (DB500HD), con DreamboxEdit, puedes editar el fichero satellites.xml y modificar a mano esa posicion, es facil.
Bajas la lista de canales al pc, picas en tools, edit satellites.xml

Localizas la posicion -73, modificas a -70 todos las lineas de los tp's y salvas.

Mandas la lista de canales con el fichero satellites.xml modificado al sintonizador/deco y reinicias.
Tendrias que tener ahora el deco con la posicion del satelite correcta.

Ahora tienes que buscar de nuevo los canales en esta posicion, tienes que hacerlo borrando los viejos canales (limpiando), recuerda, la referencia de canal que tienen ahora esta mal, no es valida.
Ya con el fichero lamedB actualizado con las nuevas referencias de canal, los puedes añadir a un Bouquet/Favorito que tengas.

PD: De 61ºW a 57ºE (+12000).

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Well, it has destroyed mine too. :(
As I have a rotor and I'm on edge of the signal, I actually lost Nilesat 102/201 (they are located at 7.0W, not 7.3W) because my dish now travels 0.3 deg too much to the west. I'm not sure how to solve this.
Just download a satellites.xml from my site. FTP it to /etc/tuxbox. Restart the receiver and your motor will now point in the correct direction.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I've been harvesting data now for 3 days, every 10 minutes. All UK spot beam transponders. So now I can make some graphs. Here's a first attempt at a completely automated daily-trend graph using all of that data.

daily-trend.png

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
Any tip on which transponders to log to get data that are useful to compare with
what you and others are collecting?

Tests with an Excel-based logger have been successful meaning I can zap to channels
and log signal strength data directly into a spreadsheet. Working on the timing of readings
and channel switching now and could try to do the tests on channels where the data
could be used. You never know, sometimes things you design actually work. :-ohmy

Edit - spelling errors

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Waveguide, I am collecting all spot beam transponders once every 10 minutes. Regular data collection is the most important thing. Once you've got data you can do anything with it later. So my recommendation is concentrate on data collection.

My graph above is formed from every bit of data I have collected over the last 5 days. 1N trace is 16 transponders x 5 days so it is an average of 80 measurements for each 10 minute period. 2F is 7 transponder over 5 days, so it is the average of 35 measurements at any point on the line.

If you want me to make a graph of any specific transponder or group of transponders just tell me which and I'll run it later today.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Separate horizontal and vertical.

graph.png

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Que transponders utilizas para la grafica.?
All of them. Let me explain.

Contains 110 hours of data. That is all the data since switch-on of 2E.
Blue = 2F, all QPSK transponders.
Magenta = 2F, all 8PSK transponders.
Red = 2E, all QPSK transponders.
Green = 2E, all 8PSK transponders.

If it helps you understand here is the MySQL query and the graph created from that query.
Code:
SELECT SEC_TO_TIME(FLOOR(TIME_TO_SEC(TIME(updated))/600)*600) AS `FROM`
     , SEC_TO_TIME(FLOOR(TIME_TO_SEC(TIME(updated))/600)*600+600) AS `TO`
     , round((AVG(`10773`) + AVG(`10788`) + AVG(`10803`) + AVG(`10817`) + AVG(`10862`) + AVG(`10876`) + AVG(`10921`))/7, 2) AS `2E-QPSK`
     , round((AVG(`10964`) + AVG(`10994`) + AVG(`11053`) + AVG(`11126`))/4, 2) AS `2F-QPSK`
     , round((AVG(`11023`) + AVG(`11067`) + AVG(`11097`))/3, 2) AS `2F-8PSK`
     , round((AVG(`10847`) + AVG(`10935`))/2, 2) AS `2E-8PSK`
  FROM snr
WHERE
    updated > '2014-02-06 06:00:00'
GROUP
    BY FLOOR(TIME_TO_SEC(TIME(updated))/600)

trend.png

Last edited: