Which is the best Sci Fi series...Past and Present

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Didn't realize that was ever a series, I saw the film though, are you sure it wasn't just a serialisation of the film?

phil835

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
No 'Rolf', it was the other way round. It was a ten or twelve episode series first, then a film. Check on the net for a definitive answer, there are a few sites for the one or two remaining die hard fans of a long forgotten, though much loved series.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, thanks Phil, can't remember the series and I was seriously in to anything Sci Fi, I must look it up and see if i can jog my memory. As you will see I have added it to the list, so get voting. :)

PS, it would appear from the sites I've just looked at that the film was released in 1976, but the series followed in 1977 and was based on an expanded story line.

phil835

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sorry Rolf, I stand corrected on the film/series which came first debate. I remember the series showing first on TV and then the film a couple of years later. I falsely assumed that they were produced in this order, but I was wrong.

If you never saw the TV series when it was first shown, (and I'm stretching my memory 25yrs) then you probably never have ! According to some of the sites there was a false dawn when SC-FI promised to screen it again but failed to deliver the goods.

It has never had a second airing on UK TV - a real shame !

If anyone else can remember the series and liked it, please give it your vote.

PS Rolf. I appear to have voted already, probably some time ago as I can't remember doing so :-(

Could you possibly recall my old vote so that I can have a second bite of the cherry ??????

PPS thanx for adding Logan's run to the selection.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No problem, I'll see if I can switch it, not sure if I can, but worth a try. :)

OK, found your vote, it was for The Pokemon. ;) No sorry my mistake, Hitchhikers guide, I've now switched it to Logans Run.

xtom

Reaction score
I like a lot of those programs but had to vote for star trek the next generation. .

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Like many others xtom, I guess that it probably does have the greatest popular appeal, it certainly has some of the best special effects around as well.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Rolf

Is it not possible to display the list in such a way so that when you go to the first page you can see the leaders in the survey??

BYe, Tzur

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry T_G, missed your post, do you mean on the home page? I don't think that there is much that can be done with the order the shows are presented, but will have a chat with Chris about it, it would certainly be a good idea to have a summary of it on the home/Welcome page though.

Bearing in mind the number of members we have, it would be nice to see the votes up in the hundreds.

Tom34

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
1m for 28°,23.5°, 19° and 13°E.
1m for 7°W.
0.8m for 68.5°E.
0.8m for 15W.
1.25 in cellar
Samsung HD; Pace DS430N, X-Sat 350, Topfield 5000 CI
My Location
Munich, Germany
rolfw said:

If your selection isn't there, I can add it, so please post in this thread.

If "My Favourite Martian" qualifies... where is "Mork + Mindy"? :-)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Tom34, it was on there because sopmeone asked for it to be included, they then didn't vote for it. ;) If it was or is Sci-Fi based then it deserves to be in the list, so I've added Mork and Mindy. :)

PS. This was one of my favourite programmes, but as comedy rather than Sci-Fi.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Why is there a little star next to the Red Dwarf bar? Is it because it is the best ??? :D

Tom34

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
1m for 28°,23.5°, 19° and 13°E.
1m for 7°W.
0.8m for 68.5°E.
0.8m for 15W.
1.25 in cellar
Samsung HD; Pace DS430N, X-Sat 350, Topfield 5000 CI
My Location
Munich, Germany
rolfw said:
Hi Tom34, it was on there because sopmeone asked for it to be included, they then didn't vote for it. ;) If it was or is Sci-Fi based then it deserves to be in the list, so I've added Mork and Mindy. :)

PS. This was one of my favourite programmes, but as comedy rather than Sci-Fi.

Thanks for putting it on, unfortunately I can't vote for it. I've already voted, silly me. :)

I loved the show, but watching it nowadays, it's not as good as I remember it. Looks like getting older does change you somehow.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
T_G said:
Why is there a little star next to the Red Dwarf bar? Is it because it is the best ??? :D

If it was, it isn't now:)

I believe it denotes the last vote cast.

BG101

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
East Midlands
What a choice!!! I had a hard time trying to decide, but went for The Twilight Zone since I used to love watching it in the 70's and 80's.

Also love Star Trek (the original is the best!), Dr Who, Blakes' 7 and most others - saw V when it was first aired and missed the last episode, had to wait years for the re-run!

Regards

BG

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
rwabyr said:
at 77 perhaps I am the only one old enough to remember Quatermas? rwabyr.

Far from it Rwabyr, can't say I'm even approaching your age, but we had a TV from 1953, so I can remember most of what was available from the mid to late 50s. Don't think that there was a vast amount on prior to then anyway. :)

PS.I think we have a few other members pretty close behind you. :)

skyoutUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8m, Lenson Heat 80cm triple feed 13° 19° & 28°, Triax TD110 with Jeager SuperJack, sky+ Pace v2, Panasonic TU-DSB20, Humax 5400, no name FTA and heap of old analogue receivers
My Location
right next to the big dish
For me it's "Lost in Space" I loved it when Dr.Smith insults robot absolute classic!

Close second is B5 but last season really let it down.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Astroboy,circa 1962.

Anime series shown on BBC Children's TV in the 60's.

New series imminent - check out Astroboy.jp and many others.