Which is the best Sci Fi series...Past and Present

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Is there a timing problem with this thread? According to the last post record, CH posted something here tonight at 10.54pm and I couldn't see it.

Jimbo

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I had the same thing Jimbo, its happened several times today with CH on this thread, Chris, any ideas?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Think I have it sussed Jimbo, the poll is set for the casting of a vote to push it up in the time rankings to keep it current, but if the person casting the vote does not post as well, ithe time stamp will be attributed to the last poster.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
????

Must be early morning, but does this mean
1) I have to vote each time I reply in the thread
2) My voting carried out in Dubai last week will always put me 4 or so hours ahead when replying

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, it is simply that the thread is designed to be taken to the top position on the forum when someone votes, not applicable in this case, as its a sticky, but if it wasn't it would keep it near the top.

I think it does this by adding a new last post date, it will look like the last person to post has posted at the time that the last vote was cast.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Thanks Rolf :-righton I'm glad you cleared that up. LOL it certainly makes hex programming seem a doddle.

Jimbo

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, certainly does, took me 3 days to work that out. ;)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Fireball XL5. Oh yes, those were the days. The monkey creature was called, I believe, a 'lazoon', though I never saw the word in print. It was known as 'Zooney' and had a catch phrase 'Welcome home', uttered in a reedy, geriatric tone. There was also, I remember, a splendid totty with blonde hair and enormous, but artificial (well, they would be wouldn't they?) tits. I share Burnt Chips' liking for a posh puppet - it must be a Manc thing. And yes, CH, I'm three years away from the bus pass. But what memories we crinklies have!

LOL

:D :D :D :D

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
I was wondering whether this poll had run its course but now that 'Taken' begins tonight on BBC2, I think we can leave it a bit longer.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Good thinking Jimbo.

I watched 'Taken' last night and would have watched the second episode had I access to BBC Choice. I have to confess to being underwhelmed, but perhaps it'll warm up as it progresses. Visuals strongly redolent of 'Close Encounters' (lonely roads, lights in the sky, flashes on the horizon, not to mention WWII aircraft). Let's hope it will offer something more intellectually stimulating than shoot 'em up spectaculars, space opera or cuddly aliens.

:) :)

johnappleby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x technomate 1500ci 1mtr motorised dish
My Location
n/e england
hi.

i managed to see both episodes of taken.new keeping that on digi box would come in handy for something some day.i hope it improves as the first two were entertaining but nothing out of the ordinary. i think that one small peice was actually taken from close encounters or something very similar.it was said to have rave write ups in america. some people are easily pleased i think.
i will watch more to see if things get better . star trek has nothing to fear from this series as far as i am concerned.

regards pip

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Yes, I agree with you Wolsty and Pip. What you wrote more or less mirrors my own thoughts on 'Taken'. For me, the jury's still out and, as often is the case, what goes down a bomb in the USA, quite often gets a cooler reception in the UK. The blurb I read said that it gave the Sci- Fi channel its biggest audience but, then, we have to take into account how many viewers have access to that channel so its all relative.

Jimbo

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I agree very slow , very little new and yes what is good for the US is not always good for the UK.

please let me know when i can wake up ! maybe 3 out of 10

Regards

Old satellite

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The Truth Exposed After Fifty Years......The Day After Roswell............written by Col. Philip J Corso,(Ret). I have this book and it is actually signed by Colonel P J Corso,and it is along the lines of "Taken" but does not include anything about being taken by aliens,but this man actually saw the spaceship and the aliens that crash landed at Roswell.He was a member of President's Eisenhower,s national security council and a head of the foreign technology desk at the U S Army,s research and development department.The book is not an easy read,but,i believe what he writes is the truth.You can find out more about this book on the Amazon web-site.I watched the first episode and it is very close to the account given by the Col.........the truth is out there....................................Brian

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
I have just watched episode seven....Interesting and yes it does get a little better. Anyway it is all in fun isn't it?
Allan

mikeey

Kalashnikov Poster
Reaction score
I liked Spock he was the best. though capatan kirk was good as well,with the virtuall energy that he had,plus the way he said it was good. 2 old would no about that, may be the Scottish haigs field 2old will tell you good guys about that.

regards mikeey

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
So what's the verdict on taken, now that its had a chance to get going?

Ed

Reaction score
Can we have MST3K added to the list?
Short for: "Mystery Science Theatre 3000"

It was basically a laugh-a-minute piss-take of some of the worst B-movie sci-fi films ever made.

I can understand if you don't add it though, 'cos it isn't very mainstream.

You used to be able to watch it on the SciFi channel for a while, but not lately.

I must dig out the couple of recordings I have!

:D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Done Ed, you may now cast your vote. :)

phil835

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What about Logan's run ! I know there was only around a dozen episodes, but it was the coolest sc-fi on TV for a ten year old in the 70's.