Which Linux box should I buy

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
B sky B package on squarial
My Location
Derbyshire
Certainly be interested in the potential future possibility to watch more than the fta broadcasts on the unit, should the laws ever be different.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
But I'm not getting onto that, for now I just need to know if the solo CAN potentially do that kind of thing

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Discoseeker said:
Certainly be interested in the potential future possibility to watch more than the fta broadcasts on the unit, should the laws ever be different.

There are several forum members who run VU+ receivers with a softcam which enables the receiver to read a valid subscription card. I'm not really clear which laws you are referring to. The fact remains (and I feel this isn't breaking any rules) that encryption is increasingly difficult (and in many cases impossible) to crack. The level/newness/make of receiver doesn't alter this fact AFIK. Surely if laws changed it would mean that you could receive what you wanted in any location, given that you are within the satellite footprint. That doesn't mean that your requirement to subscribe would be annulled, merely that it would be legal for you to receive the broadcast.

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
As a full-on linux machine the VU+ solo IS able to cardshare, just as an UNO would be able to, however using a paid card server is never a good idea and, as covered on this website more than I care to remember, is totally illegal.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Thanks Andy, very helpful response. And to reiterate fellow forum members, I do not want to do anything illegal. Watching FRA programmes is cool. It's just good to know what the capabilities of the solo is. Thanks all

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I think one of the coolest things I can do with my Solo (as it's networked to my laptop) is to be able to watch and change channels on my laptop when the Solo is on standby.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
I've got a redundant sky dish (as well as a sky dish) because the installer put up a new one when we ordered sky+, can I use the dish to point at another satellite?
Anyway, I think I'll probably keep the SOLO unless someone tells me it's not what I need, even though it was bought in error I did buy it because of its price tag. Now I just would like to be directed to the right places so as to be able to make the most of it. Thanks again

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes you can realign the dish - 5W / 9E / 13E / 16E / 19E are all within the capabilities of a Sky minidish

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
i also assume it will depend on which face of my house as to which satellites i can re-align to (?)

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Discoseeker said:
i also assume it will depend on which face of my house as to which satellites i can re-align to (?)
sorry that sounded jibberish

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Discoseeker said:

As its already aligned at 28E theres a good chance you will be able to get it round to at least 13E without too many problems.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nope, we know what you mean!

Fixing the dish so it can be panned successfully to the desired position does depend upon which way the wall it's fixed to is oriented - but if it isn't facing broadly south east (which would be optimum in your case), the stand-off from the wall can be extended, or another site chosen.

Don't worry too much about it - a small/medium dish on a bog-standard mount can span quite a decent wedge of the arc.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Thanks for all your help so far, I'm expecting the vu+ solo to arrive this week, can anyone advise me on what I'll need to do to get it working, what I should install etc. it does seem to be like alchemy understanding Linux receivers. I'm working on the principal that, for now, I'll be wanting to watch freesat, but want all doors unlocked. Just some idea of what I need to install would be good, are there things I should avoid installing "flashing" etc.? Sorry I'm so inexperienced and my knowledge is zero on this stuff.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Play with it first with the software thats on it. If you flash without first testing it you can kiss the warrenty goodbye if there is something wrong with it.

You can then look at changing the image later once your comfortable with it :D

Nano

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Thanks nano, will I be able to do all sorts with it with the software which is on it?