English Football on other satellites?

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
elgin eagle said:
Because I need to convince the wife that it is a good investment, and as she is from Moscow, I can tell her that she will be able to watch a lot more Russian channels if we a) get a cam and a card
:cool: convert to a motorised dish :)

Which option do you recommend?

Ahh I see m8....Rolfw's link will provide you the answers m8!...once you have shown the misses that then you will have to sweet talk her into letting you buy a motorised system EE or better still see if she will buy one for your birthday :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Dont do that

Get a simple twin feed digital system on Sirius and Hotbird for the loved one, and a HUGE motorised for yourself. Set up on two TVs at opposite ends of the house.

Nothing worse than an argument over the multi lingual evening entertainment

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
LOL.....good advice CH....but who will have the Plasma wide screen :D

elgin eagle

Reaction score
heh this satellite business is definately coming between us. Instead of cuddling up this morning, I went to check for replies on this thread :)
It certainly is addictive. Having read the Russian thread, I reckon I'll have to blag it and tell her that we'll find extra channels with a cam and a 6 in 1 card, and then start to save for a huge motorised dish in the future.

As long as I can get free footy from hotbird I'll be happy anyway ;) What is the best channel on hotbird to watch, once I've put the card in?

cheers for your ongoing help guys, I really appreciate it.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Well for free footy on 13'E you have RAI1, TV5 Europe, TV5 Asia & RTP International but these mainly show foriegn footy!.....but if you pointed the dish at 5'E then you would receive TV Sport RO they broadcast Premiership.

elgin eagle

Reaction score
Yeah I've been to the shop today, and unfortunately got no good news. I tried a Matrix Reloaded cam first, but there was some conflict with the Televes, and the picture and sound kept breaking up. Next I asked about the s/h merlin cam, but that wasn't available for sale yet, and I don't think it will help to get English Footy anyway, maybe only Free X tv.

Finally I asked about getting a twin LNB with Sirius 5E so I can pick up TV Sport RO, but as the initial installation to hotbird was on the back wall of my house (I live in a mid-terrace), the installer remembered it was tight picking hotbird up at 13E, so we would struggle to get 5E, short of reintalling it on the front wall. With the installation and parts, it would cost upwards of a hundred quid to reinstall it.

So we are back to square 1, I was thinking Sirius 5E was favourite, but after reading the Russian thread, it looks like we'd struggle to pick novy canal, tet, inter and enter up anyway, with only an 80cm dish.

Of course the alternative is to drive 150 miles tomorrow to watch my team live, but they're playing Sheffield United and will probably get thrashed!

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Well EE this is your lucky day! how about 16'E? which only 3' Deg East from where your dish is pointing now!...on that sat you will be able to recieve Top Channel they broadcast Premiership footy too! :D

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
When it comes to footy you won't beat WR

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
LOL....I'll tell one thing that does beat me razor....Guinness Extra Export m8 :confused

elgin eagle

Reaction score
Cheers for that Waverider, in the meantime i'm in the bidding for a motorised satellite dish on E-Bay, so hopefully that will set me up to pick up anything! I'll let you know how we get on :)

elgin eagle

Reaction score
Yessss! I am now the owner of a 2m motorised dish. All I need to do now is work out whether I can pick up more satellites by mounting it on the front or back of the house. The old dish was going to struggle to pick up Sirius at 5E, and that was on the back wall. Will I pick up the E and W satellites easier if I mount it on the other wall? There is a porch on that side, with a flat roof.

The other problem is working out how to get it from Luton to Oxford on top of my car, but thats for later :p

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
LOL....dont go over 40 mph EE with that strapped to the roof....or Air Traffic Control might have something to say to you :D......Have you got a south facing or a corner wall with no obstructions m8?

elgin eagle

Reaction score
Yeah it was made of fibreglass as well! Unfortunately it turns out it didn't come with a positioner, it was just the dish. Do you think i should still go ahead? I got the dish for 166 quid s/h.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Well the only problem you could have with a 2m dish is the local planning office EE and of course neighbours!...however if your gonna mount a dish high up on a wall you really should use a 90cm m8....not only that a 2m in high winds could start to loosen brickwork!

elgin eagle

Reaction score
LOL yeah I was going to put it on a concrete slab in the back garden. In the event I have settled on a twin LNB for my existing dish, giving me Astra 19E with hotbird. I've had a magic cam programmed with MR software which has eliminated most of the break ups with the sound and picture, and so can now get the TPS films, XXL and RTL5 on Astra for the football. I would have liked to get Top Channel on Eutelsat at 16E and it seems to show more live games, but the guy said it was hard to get a twin LNB to pick up both satellites with just a 3 degree difference.

plus me neighbours will stay happy :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Well at least you have reached a compromise EE......perhaps if you get 5 numbers on the Lotto the motorsised system will follow m8 :D

elgin eagle

Reaction score
Definately m8! I've been well and truely bitten by the bug I think :)

cheers for all your help and advice with this. I have one question, do you think its possible to pick up eutelsat or sirius with a sky digibox dish, and then connect it to my receiver after I pull out the hotbird/astra lnb in wire? Will the dish be big enough to pick either of them up? I have a small digibox dish in my garden you see. I'd love to get another footy channel in reserve if possible :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
No I think you will find that you need a 90cm dish m8....sorry to disappoint you....and I have never tried a digibox to receive other birds either!

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi EE,
By a small sky dish you mean the 45cm dish ?
If you do it will be to small for Sirius or Eutelsat. You would need at least a 60cm dish, and then pray that it does not rain. I have a 70cm solid dish and it picks up both of the football channels on both satellites no problem.

elgin eagle

Reaction score
Hi Rob,

thanks for that, I sort of feared it wouldn't be big enough but as it was lying in the garden I thought it might be able to pick up something besides sky. Maybe if I contact Sky I can trade it in for a bigger dish :)