Freesat in cyprus

olive25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Humax Spiderbox
My Location
Spain
Hi Guys have been searching the web about TX 45 ( london bbc & bbc2)
Analoguesat said there was talk here about the problem. I am interested in the silver foil thing is it possible to explain in full or post a pic please, also zorba i am a chelsea fan if this helps.

We have the same problem with CH4 here & bbc london & bbc2

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
olive25 said:
Hi Guys have been searching the web about TX 45 ( london bbc & bbc2)
Analoguesat said there was talk here about the problem. I am interested in the silver foil thing is it possible to explain in full or post a pic please, also zorba i am a chelsea fan if this helps.

We have the same problem with CH4 here & bbc london & bbc2
Hi Olive (UP THE BLUES)
Well we have just started experimenting , but the problem seems to be coming from a satellite next to the Sky satellites and the theory is that we can deflect the interfering frequency by placing a piece of silver foil on the dish. The problem is that if you stand in front of the dish or lean on it ,you will lose BBC anyway. But I held a 6x6 inch piece of foil and slowly moved it around the bottom half of the dish and checking my sat meter,set to BBC frequency. At one point the signal disappeared as it deflected the wanted frequency,but for me the best spot was between the centre and edge of the dish at about 4 o'clock. On our dishes it was close to the LNB support strut. Then I got some glue and stuck it there.

borderman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3M dish.
Panasonic TH-42PZ81B
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic TX-L32C20E
HumaxFoxsat HD
Vu+ Solo
My Location
Paphos District Cyprus
Analoguesat said:
Its nothing to do with the weather - a new low band transponder has fired up on Badr 5 at 26E on almost the same frequency as the desired channels and its destroying your reception due to interference. Theres nothing you can do about it apart from find different frequencies to watch. Its going to get worse over the next few months as more Badr 5 frequencies are bought into use.

No ITV4 +1 is not encrypted in any way - theres something wrong with the epg info being transmitted - various folks here in the UK have mentioned this problem over on the DS forum

We have one TV in Freesat mode and one in non Freesat mode. We still only receive BBC Scotland in Freesat mode but many BBC regions in non Freesat mode.
For the past 3 or 4 weeks we have been having considerable interference on the BBC channels that we can receive. No probs with ITV. I had assumed that this was weather related (it has been raining often and heavily) but we consistently lose all BBC ( in both Freesat and non Freesat mode) reception from about 6 pm (Cyprus time) and I now wonder if this is caused by interference from new channels starting up. If this is so can anything be done?

borderman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3M dish.
Panasonic TH-42PZ81B
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic TX-L32C20E
HumaxFoxsat HD
Vu+ Solo
My Location
Paphos District Cyprus
Zorba said:
Hi Olive (UP THE BLUES)
Well we have just started experimenting , but the problem seems to be coming from a satellite next to the Sky satellites and the theory is that we can deflect the interfering frequency by placing a piece of silver foil on the dish. The problem is that if you stand in front of the dish or lean on it ,you will lose BBC anyway. But I held a 6x6 inch piece of foil and slowly moved it around the bottom half of the dish and checking my sat meter,set to BBC frequency. At one point the signal disappeared as it deflected the wanted frequency,but for me the best spot was between the centre and edge of the dish at about 4 o'clock. On our dishes it was close to the LNB support strut. Then I got some glue and stuck it there.

Zorba

Is there an expert installer that you know in Paphos who may be able to help with the various probs that I have put on this forum, I'm not impressed with the one that we have used so far. Thanks

borderman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3M dish.
Panasonic TH-42PZ81B
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic TX-L32C20E
HumaxFoxsat HD
Vu+ Solo
My Location
Paphos District Cyprus

borderman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3M dish.
Panasonic TH-42PZ81B
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic TX-L32C20E
HumaxFoxsat HD
Vu+ Solo
My Location
Paphos District Cyprus
Analoguesat said:
Its nothing to do with the weather - a new low band transponder has fired up on Badr 5 at 26E on almost the same frequency as the desired channels and its destroying your reception due to interference. Theres nothing you can do about it apart from find different frequencies to watch. Its going to get worse over the next few months as more Badr 5 frequencies are bought into use.

No ITV4 +1 is not encrypted in any way - theres something wrong with the epg info being transmitted - various folks here in the UK have mentioned this problem over on the DS forum
We are in the Paphos area of Cyprus and are about to give up with Freesat,we have lost most channels and those that we still receive disappear during the evening, when the best programmes are on. Is there a reliable way of receiving the BBC and ITV, even if it means ditching the Freesat kit and paying a subscription? That how desperate we are!!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
borderman said:
We are in the Paphos area of Cyprus and are about to give up with Freesat,we have lost most channels and those that we still receive disappear during the evening, when the best programmes are on. Is there a reliable way of receiving the BBC and ITV, even if it means ditching the Freesat kit and paying a subscription? That how desperate we are!!!

No - Freesat & Sky use the same channels on the same frequencies.

At the moment a few of the PSB family of channels are available with a Freesatfromsky card and a sky box, HOWEVER this may change in the next few weeks as a new satellite is put into operation at 28E which will bring increased narrow beam capacity to 28E.

One possible option may be to think about an IPTV solution - if your broadbaand is fast enough to support it.

You could of course move back to western Europe and enjoy the rain and gales like the rest of us :D

Or learn Greek :D

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
A sky digibox with a freesat card will get you a very strong ITV,a strong channel 4 and channels 5,5* and five USA and Pick TV (used to be sky three). Also try Expat Shield for bbc iplayer and other stuff.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
But for how much longer?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tivù said:
But for how much longer?

Probably a few weeks - The ITV channels are a dead cert to be switched to the 1N narrow beam

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Indeed.

My comment was rhetorical as we all know the answer!

And, if we didn't, we do now :D

borderman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3M dish.
Panasonic TH-42PZ81B
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic TX-L32C20E
HumaxFoxsat HD
Vu+ Solo
My Location
Paphos District Cyprus
Analoguesat said:
No - Freesat & Sky use the same channels on the same frequencies.

At the moment a few of the PSB family of channels are available with a Freesatfromsky card and a sky box, HOWEVER this may change in the next few weeks as a new satellite is put into operation at 28E which will bring increased narrow beam capacity to 28E.

One possible option may be to think about an IPTV solution - if your broadbaand is fast enough to support it.

You could of course move back to western Europe and enjoy the rain and gales like the rest of us :D

Or learn Greek :D

Thanks for the info, sounds as if there are going to be many unemployed satellite installers in Cyprus shortly. Trying to learn Greek but it's hard!!

We do have, allegedly, fast broadband here and there is one company (Easyvision) advertising an offering. My concern is that it may be illegal and will be shut down in due course. Also looked into Slingbox, but do not really understand it. Does it require a dedicated TVin the UK?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There's a section for the Slingbox and iptv, but yes, it requires a slingbox in the UK connected to an aerial and a very good broadband connection at both ends, (mine has near on 5 meg upstream speed and my nephew's downstream speed in France is 10 meg) and a PC or slingcatcher at the other end.

borderman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3M dish.
Panasonic TH-42PZ81B
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic TX-L32C20E
HumaxFoxsat HD
Vu+ Solo
My Location
Paphos District Cyprus
Quite a long time since I posted but has anybody an idea as to why ITV seems to have completely disappeared today. This usually only occurs when there is heavy rain.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
All ITV and CH 4 FTA gone. Transponders switched off. Only BBC left. So your Freesat box will be virtually useless. You need a Sky digibox with a white card to get ITV and CH4 back. For now.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Yeah because all my customers wanted was ITV and Ch4. Now I can sell the remaining Freesat cards I thought I was stuck with.

borderman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3M dish.
Panasonic TH-42PZ81B
Humax Foxsat HDR
Panasonic TX-L32C20E
HumaxFoxsat HD
Vu+ Solo
My Location
Paphos District Cyprus
Zorba said:
All ITV and CH 4 FTA gone. Transponders switched off. Only BBC left. So your Freesat box will be virtually useless. You need a Sky digibox with a white card to get ITV and CH4 back. For now.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Are you implying that SKY will go the same way? Some friends of mine have lost some SKY channels but gained others.