French TV in the UK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Analoguesat said:
If the lnb is too close to the dish it will not "see" the entire dish.

And worse than that, it will pick up a small signal from offset satellites.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace MSS1000 Analogue receiver and Telestar Diginova2 Digital receiver
both connected to 80cm dish with single Grundig Universal LNB - pointing at Atlantic Bird 5W
My Location
Hampshire
Thanks for the advice on adjusting the LNB... that makes a lot of sense. That's this morning's task! And yes, I am picking up weak signals from (I think) Amos 4W.

I have roped in a mate of mine to help, so watch this space.

Just tried return to Factory Settings, then tried to configure for 5W - same result.... no joy!

Regarding changing the "FEC" value.... I am stumped!

Whether this receiver is too basic, or what, I don't know - but I cannot find anywhere on the Settings menu where I can change that value to "2/3". Having another look now....

Just hope my wife appreciates all the trouble she's causing! (she's French, so I'll lay it on a bit thick...) (sounds of violins playing sad music in b/ground) :)

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
both connected to 80cm dish with single Grundig Universal LNB - pointing at Atlantic Bird 5W
My Location
Hampshire
The Factory Reset seemed to work - but the signal was patchy and disappeared after a couple of minutes of "Blocky" picture...

Still a dead-end with the "FEC = 2/3" value

OK - onto the LNB adjustment....

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
No progress to report. After last post, I remembered it was wife's birthday yesterday! :-doh!

Had a mad panic on... going to try this afternoon!

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Apologies for the silence, following all your welcome advice....

Had a major issue with a ladder not being long enough, but managed to reach the LNB... the arm seemed quite loose! There was about 5 to 6 cm "play" (side to side) on the end of the arm... so I tightened it up (the bolts securing the arm to the back of the dish) and ... nothing... not even analogue.

I then tried moving the alignment, very slightly, sideways until I obtained an analogue signal from 5w and then switched over to the digital, adjusting it slightly (sideways) until the signal quality got up to 0.1dB.

Well. it's working!!! Am surprised how "fragile" the digital signal is, though - it is very susceptable to rain and wind - losing the signal quite easily... still a bit out of alignment, you think?

Or do I still need to adjust the position of the LNB in terms of how close it is to the dish....?

What about the dish elevation?
Can anyone tell me where to find out at what angle of elevation the dish should be ? I live near Chichester, on the Hampshire / Sussex border...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Both elevation and azimuth are important, equally so the focal point of the LNB, so lloks like a bit of ladder time for you. :eek: :)

Go to www.smw.se and download their free calculator for the actual figures, but you will achieve the best results by using the analogue signal and a portable TV as an indicator.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Update:

Big Thanks to you guys, again...

I have done the adjustment to the LNB.... result? One stable system receiving ARTE, FR2/3/4/5 & LCP on digitial and TF1, M6, FR2 and FR5 (plus scrambled CanalPlus and ARTE ) on the analogue box
I notice that I have a second (unused) output on the LNB. Would I be able to run this to a second digital receiver, in our bedroom, say, without affecting the signal input to the box downstairs? If the answer is positive - which digital receiver do you guys consider to be the best value, in terms of price and performance?

Also, am I right in assuming that French Digital broadcasts do not require an additional SECAM tv?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well done Brewski.

Yes you can run an extra feed to a bedroom receiver. The only thing to watch is that the extra weight of the cabling doesnt make the dish droop off beam.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well done Brewski. :)

Almost any receiver will do, if you shop around, you will be able to pick one up for £60 or so. :)

Aligg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hivion 9090x box
My Location
Ireland
Can any one help me please I am leaving in Dublin Ireland and trying to get Free French chanels, I have motorised Dish 130cm and Marned reciever, I can recieve Hot Bird and Astra 1 no problem ,but when I select Atlantic Bird 3 at 5 west after fine tuning, I get good signal and strenght but when I do the search it picks up nothing, no chanels. I am new on this satellite business, need to get TF1 France 2,3, 5 and M6.
Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
When you scan the satellite, make sure that you have the correct transponder frequencies listed as per here.

You won't get TF1 unless you have an analogue receiver.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
...your "required" list corresponds almost exactly to what is available on analogue....

I can pick up the following:

DIGITAL:

ARTE
France/2, / 3, / 4 and / 5
LCP
Globe Cast Paris 1 and 2
TCM Belgique
(encrypted)

ANALOGUE:

TF1
France /2, /3 and /5
ARTE
M6
Canal + (Encrypted)

Aligg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hivion 9090x box
My Location
Ireland
rolfw/Brewski
Thanks for your replys, I am new on using satellite, dont know much, so I looked up this http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html website but I did not understand were to find the Polarization and sympol rate for these french chanels, I can see the transponder freq on the left side but I cant find the Symbol Rate, can you please have a look at this website and let me know what is the correct setting for TF1,2,3,4,5 and I will set my reciver and try to search for them.
Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
See attached image. :)

Aligg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hivion 9090x box
My Location
Ireland
Thanks rolfw, now I understand it, I am not home at the moment, away working should be home tomorrow, I will try this seting and let you know tomorrow night.

Aligg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hivion 9090x box
My Location
Ireland
Ok rolfw I am home now, I have tried the setting for Atlantic Bird 3 5 west for those french chanels, Transponder 11591 V rate 2/3 and moved my satellite dish till I got good signal and quality and selected search but no chanels been found.
Ant ideas :confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
So if you do a full search on that satellite, you get no channels at all?

Aligg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hivion 9090x box
My Location
Ireland
yes no chanels at all, just confirm the satellite Atlantic Bird is the same as Ku-Telecom 2B

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think 2B used to be there, but it is just AB3 now. Are you sure you are in the right position? Try going to Thor 1W and then manually driving West.

Aligg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hivion 9090x box
My Location
Ireland
not sure if i am in the right postion or not I selected the satellite then started moving my dish left and right by using my motorise, i just press left or right for west or east till i got good signal and quelity, about Thor 1w I dont have this satellite I have Ku-Intelsat 707 at 1w