Advice Needed my future plans

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
1I used to run a site called Analoguesat.co.uk which had all the info on, but its not been live for about 4 years. You can still find some of the info on archive sites.

Thios is the earliest snapshot on the wayback site - from 2002

Wayback Machine
Blimey, that brought back memories. Looks like you used to receive beyond 5E back then.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I let the Analoguesat.co.uk site die when I changed ISP & lost access to the free web space Demon had provided for 11 years. I still have all the data so I could reinstate the site but lets be honest there really isnt any point now. Especially as so many versions are available via the wayback site

Blimey, that brought back memories. Looks like you used to receive beyond 5E back then.

Thats good to hear :D I hope it brings back many happy memories for folks here - there were some fabulous channels available to us in analogue. I still remember watching a testcard off Anatolya 1 at 50E during the heavy snows of 2001 whilst I was snowed in for a week :D.

WHATAGOAL1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4, 1.8channelmaster, tm5402, tech1500, db920
My Location
Leic
I think Mr Pykett is fishing, and by the looks of things he has caught some pretty impressive specimens

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I think Mr Pykett is fishing, and by the looks of things he has caught some pretty impressive specimens

We will see - we have inspired a lot of people to set up a none UK reception system over the years. Everything from a simple static system set on 19E just to get the free F1 from RTL to multi sat systems, motorised or otherwise.

Anyone found to be trolling the forum or wasting peoples time gets thrown off the board so we have few problems here, unlike some other forums Ive been involved in over the years.

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+Duo, Vu+Duo2, Vu+Zero, Gibi 1.5m, TBS 6903 PCI
My Location
North West UK
1I used to run a site called Analoguesat.co.uk which had all the info on, but its not been live for about 4 years. You can still find some of the info on archive sites.

Thios is the earliest snapshot on the wayback site - from 2002

Wayback Machine

That does bring back memories, Back then I started with a Pace MS100 Dolby Prologic receiver on Sky @19.2E. I got the bug when my eyes were opened with a D2mac box and a fixed 1m dish at 1W, since then I have been highly addicted. Your site was a fantastic source of info, and helped me greatly.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
well great news i just used an ar app and i got a good view of the southern horizon

Update: an idea arch for my location would be from 67.8w to 64.1e

Last edited:

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
well great news i just used an ar app and i got a good view of the southern horizon

Update: an idea arch for my location would be from 67.8w to 64.1e

Update 2: maybe i get the diy kit during this week or maybe next week, depending on stuff beyond my control

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You''ll struggle at the very ends of your visible arc, chiefly due to the fact that the Satellites will be very low indeed on the horizon.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
You''ll struggle at the very ends of your visible arc, chiefly due to the fact that the Satellites will be very low indeed on the horizon.
im sure once the dish is fine tuned on the due south satellite, all the others i can get should be good signal and besides i checked the horizon using an satellite finder ar app and it looks clear to me.
p.s im not sure what arc i would get for me

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

It is possible to get some strong beams from the extreme ends but really only IF the dish is positioned higher up than the Sky dish, the main obstacles will be
Getting the arc exactly right,
Getting the dish to stop exactly on the position
correct skew adjustment
Prevailing weather conditions

Since UK planning allows for a 1m dimension maximum, it would be worthwhile considering the largest available from one of the sponsors, though if you have good neighbour's then this might not be so much of an issue.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
It is possible to get some strong beams from the extreme ends but really only IF the dish is positioned higher up than the Sky dish, the main obstacles will be
Getting the arc exactly right,
Getting the dish to stop exactly on the position
correct skew adjustment
Prevailing weather conditions

Since UK planning allows for a 1m dimension maximum, it would be worthwhile considering the largest available from one of the sponsors, though if you have good neighbour's then this might not be so much of an issue.
but when setting up the motorized dish for the first time do you need to set the lnb skew or does the dish skew to compensate?

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
so i dont really need to set the skew on the lnb as the motor automatically skews the dish right?

Correct to a certain extent it all depends on your skill in setting up the dish/motor/Lnb.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
If using Usals, which most people use, you set the dish, motor, and LNB to zero, then use your receiver, once you've input your Latitude, and Logitude, to drive the dish to a suitable satellite, like Thor 0.8W.
You then physically move, and adjust your dish to peak the signal, on 0.8W.
Uou then tighten everything up and, using your receiver, send it East, 28.2E, 39E, or even 42E, and make a note of your signal quality readings, you then send it to 30W, and not those signal quality readings.
You then send it back to 0.8W, make any minor adjustments, then send it again East, then West, and see what your signal quality readings are.
You keep doing this until you're satisfied.
The most important thing, when setting up a motorized system, is to ensure your pole is plumb, and strong enough to handle the weight of the motor, and dish, even in strong winds.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
If using Usals, which most people use, you set the dish, motor, and LNB to zero, then use your receiver, once you've input your Latitude, and Logitude, to drive the dish to a suitable satellite, like Thor 0.8W.
You then physically move, and adjust your dish to peak the signal, on 0.8W.
Uou then tighten everything up and, using your receiver, send it East, 28.2E, 39E, or even 42E, and make a note of your signal quality readings, you then send it to 30W, and not those signal quality readings.
You then send it back to 0.8W, make any minor adjustments, then send it again East, then West, and see what your signal quality readings are.
You keep doing this until you're satisfied.
The most important thing, when setting up a motorized system, is to ensure your pole is plumb, and strong enough to handle the weight of the motor, and dish, even in strong winds.

so basically all the angles on the dish, the motor and lnb set to zero right?

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Update 3: getting the diy kit in 2 weeks time, so gotta wait for now but ill soon be reaching for the sky :-rofl2

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Not exactly, most small motors have markings on them, that should be at 0, the LNB also has markings, on it, that should be at 0, and the dish should be set so that it isn't skewed.
You set your motor brackets, and dish brackets, to the recommended position, to start with, then adjust them to get the dish tracking the satellite arc, by sending your dish East, then West, and back to 0.8W, until you get the best signal quality readings possible, for all satellites.
satellite motor.JPG
lnb-skewing-angle.jpg

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Not exactly, most small motors have markings on them, that should be at 0, the LNB also has markings, on it, that should be at 0, and the dish should be set so that it isn't skewed.
You set your motor brackets, and dish brackets, to the recommended position, to start with, then adjust them to get the dish tracking the satellite arc, by sending your dish East, then West, and back to 0.8W, until you get the best signal quality readings possible, for all satellites.
View attachment 109336
View attachment 109337
but the dish needs to aim at true south then you send to thor right?