Thinking about motorising my satellite dish

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Trial and error Tony, there are so many variables, weather ,your location etc. Thats half the fun.....seeing the fringe benefits!!!

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
On my TD88 i get 42 sats across the arc, you cant receive certain beams from some of them but i have around 3000 free to air channels.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You should get some of the stronger tp's off 53E on an 80cm, I use an old 80cm dish for that one.

Wouldnt think you would get much round past that one.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
57e, 62e, 66e and 68.5e are all doable on a 85cm

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Just a thought. Say if I couldn't get anything more than 66e. Surely the box would not let the dish travel beyond that limit if it were not programmed for anything more than that satellite?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
26E will be very tricky, if not impossible as it will be swamped by 28E or 23.5E.

7.3W might be impossible too.

But the thing is that an 80cm actually will get a great many Birds happily.

I have an 80cm motorised and a 1.1m motorised. Over 95% of what is possible with the 1.1m is also possible with the 80cm.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
I just don't want my dish to whack on the shed roof when moving east. I think a dish movement dry run is called for.....but not tonight. Then by looking at the dial I'll know how far to set the limit and what is possible.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, good idea.

The Limit Set Screws are under a flap/label on the motor base, as I'm sure you have realised.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Not according to this, I have to remove the dish mounting tube to access them.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You are both correct,stub off - peel up the label,,,,do not over tighten those little screws.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not according to this, I have to remove the dish mounting tube to access them.

Yes. Taken as read - sorry! Remove mounting tube then you can peel back the label thing covering the screws.

The tube restrains the label thing. All very obvious once you get sight of it.

Edit: What PDP said.

BTW: As well as not overtightening, don't slacken them too much either - they are very small and will disappear forever if dropped.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
".................. just one more thing, Sir" >> Be patient putting the stub back on the motor shaft: The through-bolt can be a bit tricky to insert and at the same time engage the captive nut.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
unless ive missed something here ? whats up with setting limits in the stb ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nothing at all - but STBs are fickle and basic practice is belt + braces, redundancy and diversity.

Hardware limit is of greater integrity so should be used as a wrapper for software limits.

Of course, very few people actually do it this way and very few failures occur!

The only time I had a collision was when the wind caught my TD110 and forced it around the mount until it came to rest against the wall. No harm done - quick realignment and more oomph on the clamps.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
ive never had any problems setting limits in the stb tivu and it stops were ive set it :-).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Neither have I. But an STB is far more likely to fail/glitch/hiccup than a hard limit.

I think you'll find that not only do most people not avail themselves of properly set hard limits, but also singularly fail to set software limits.

And still there are few reported catastrophes - but the risk of such a thing can be virtually entirely eliminated for the sake of a few minutes one-time effort.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I must admit on my 1.2 stops have been set in the motor for the strength of a 36v motor,
but I think one step at a time with a new setup for a newbie, its confusing enough to some peeps including me :-(.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Couldn't agree more - KISS principle applies!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Yeah, I think I'll go with the K.I.S.S. rules. I was a fixed dish kind of guy....until I came here! :). No seriously, I have my L plates on with this so it's one thing at a time.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
OK GUYS! I have completed a test-run installation today and can tell you that I don't need to set the limits as I have full swing east & west (phew). That is weight off my mind I can tell you. The motor works well and installation will be Tuesday or Wednesday so things are getting there now I've also changed the pole as I was not happy that the other one was slightly bent so that has now been rectified. Regarding the rubber boots on the F-connectors on the motor, did you just follow the booklet or did you do your own thing? Just interested to know and look forward to all the replies. :) :)