Thinking about motorising my satellite dish

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I have 2 and a sky dish atm tony, but there will be 3rd when money permits :-).
DSCN3954.JPG

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Good news! The brackets have arrived, but our weather forecast is not great, but as long as it stays dry I may get them on the shed today. Or, at least that's what I'm aiming for. Everything is coming together! :-biglaugh

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not raining yet >>>> All finished by teatime?

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Heavy rain stopped play! I got the top bracket on all secure, but I need a plumb line to get the bottom one exact. Dammit! I hate it when you start doing a job outside then it pours down. Brilliant! :mad:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No balaclava, then?

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Er, no! I don't own such a thing, plus doing satellite work in the rain is not recommended. LOL! Just rung my local DIY store and they have no plumb-bobs in so it looks like I'll be using a piece of string and a heavy spanner. Probably just as good!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I just use a standard spirit level to check verticality - front/rear and side/side.

Don't forget that even if the pole is perfectly plumb, as soon as you start tightening clamps (eg those attaching motor to pole and especially the dish to stub ones) you must take great care to ensure they are done up carefully and evenly as the little blighters have a marked propensity for going out of kilter!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Could not have put that better myself, Tivu! I thought the pole was out of true, in actual fact it's the shed that is the problem!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
My shed is not a "lean-to", but a "lean drunkenly".

Plus the chipboard floor is now so soft that I expect the whole lot to keel over within months!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Time for a new shed? :-rofl2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep. Got my eye on one of those B&Q Metal jobbies.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Right guys! I have installed the brackets and the pole but I have noticed (unless it's my eyes playing tricks) that it has a slight bend even though it's a two inch diameter. I have tried to compensate as much as I can with the brackets so that the top is as straight as I can get it. I would say that I am ready to go for an install or would it be better for me to get a new pole? Looking for advice (again).:D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Just go for it as it is >> If you rotate the pole so the bend is fore and aft, rather than side to side, any small error will disappear during alignment.

A bend from side to side, however, is potentially going to cause tracking errors.

"Go, Go, Go!" :lol:

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I'll just have to set limits on my box at the time
You need to set hardware limits on the motor. Never rely on the software limits of the box to protect your install.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
My tm2600 was set at 60w and east, that was enough for me. Easy to do Tony,do it before installing if you know which satellites you are after,unless you arent sure if you'll clobber summat on moving the dish in position.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
They're usually set to around 65E/W by default, IIRC.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Once you have the dish on that stub though its impossible to set the hardware limits without removing the stub. My first tm2600 ,the one that went straight back, they were set at 75W and E.I left mine where they were as 57E is impossible for me, LOS wise.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Oh, I didn't realize I had to take the stub off to set the limits. One more thing to do. I'm not sure how far round to the east the dish will go as the only thing to stop it is my shed roof so I'll have to find out what satellites I want and set the limits accordingly. I will have to rotate my pole as the bend goes to the left slightly so I'll have to re-do that. Well considering I'm using an 80cm dish what can I NOT get?