Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
A

Archive4

According to Wikipedia, the name came from a fictitious 'Z' division in the Police. It was not from the use of the Ford Zodiac and Ford Zephyr cars used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Cars
I know they used the big buses, but they also used the Anglia with the z shaped back, perhaps that is where the fictitious name came from. ..... or was it the mysterons?

The term comes from the radio call signs allocated by Lancashire Constabulary: Lancashire police divisions were lettered from north to the south, "A" Division (based in Ulverston) was the detached part of Lancashire at the time around Barrow-in-Furness, "B" Division wasLancaster, and so on. Letters further into the alphabet were in the south around the Manchester and Liverpool areas. The TV series took the non-existent signs Z-Victor 1 and Z-Victor 2.

I preferred the look of the back of the Anglia giving the series it´s name, but you can´t argue with Wikipedia!

Last edited by a moderator:

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Mine was a Cortina 1600E Maroon, Beautiful car inside and out, bought in 1969 for 1200Maltese pounds which at that time were the same equivalent to 1200Sterling.
Had nine in all, all new, love cars - now I have a Mazda Demio 121 - been with me since 1999.
The Hyundia sports coupe I bought in 1991 - kept it for 3 years.

Found another Photo of my first 'love' :D with me at the steering wheel, must have been 21/22, although the reflections today are somewhat different:rolleyes:. Remember quite vividly putting the car through it's paces in an unused airfield. That car topped up 110Miles effortlessly in a matter of 25 secs.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 12
A

Archive4

Found another Photo of my first 'love' :D with me at the steering wheel, must have been 21/22, although the reflections today are somewhat different:rolleyes:. Remember quite vividly putting the car through it's paces in an unused airfield. That car topped up 110Miles effortlessly in a matter of 25 secs.
Noticed it was the posh version with the extra headlights!
Sorry, auxiliary driving lights!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I think that the Ford Anglias were the first Panda cars, weren't they? Panda cars were supposed to supplement the bobby on the beat's need to get around when they were, err, taken off the beat.

A

Archive4

I think that the Ford Anglias were the first Panda cars, weren't they? Panda cars were supposed to supplement the bobby on the beat's need to get around when they were, err, taken off the beat.
yep

police-lc04.jpg

Can you see the Z

A

Archive-8

Hi Chris......no not a CB aerial and am totally ignorant re CB but had a few friends that were crazy for it!
¿Nevertheless I imagine is was on similar lines to CB?

It was actually a mobile car phone system.....from memory I think I had it installed in about 1984 at a then, stupid price in excess of 2000 British pounds.
With that was a call cost of some 0.30 pence per minute and a monthy maintenance cost!
System was and installed by Securicor (then opposite the WBA football ground) who became partners with British Telecom, the only other player in those days was Racal (later to become Vodaphone).
Example of working was say..........Chris rings from landline to a special Securicor number and asks to speak to 'YELLOW 262' (my nick then allocated by Securicor), Securicor then rings me in the car and says that Chris is online to speak to you .....fine, please put him through. Cannot remember exactly but I think that I had to press a keypad button to talk then release to listen to you. It proved itself to be a great tool which gave then, a step above your possible competitors as clients ( who did not know of the install) could not believe the response time with dealing with their request for me to call in etc. It paid for itself from the first day, absolutely fantastic.
Another great thing was that when the Securicor operator rang the car and said the girlfriend was on the phone you could say 'tell her there is no contact , must be out of signal range'!!.......literally saved by the bell! :D:D

Never thought I would ever need to use the old phone again, having kept it as a momento of business days but got it out of its box and took these pics this afternoon:-
View attachment 76265 View attachment 76266 View attachment 76267
I was 5 years old then. I remember the old analog mobiles, the sort that's £0.50p a minute, billed by the minute, that was on vodacall, later Vodafone.

A

Archive4

I was 5 years old then. I remember the old analog mobiles, the sort that's £0.50p a minute, billed by the minute, that was on vodacall, later Vodafone.
Cannot remember who said it, think it was LP, but was racal well before Vodafone!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
A

Archive4

NEC DB500, I have a couple of their shiny siblings, the DB2000, they were actually good phones, just not very popular in the era of when Motorola, Nokia and Sagem phones were in the top lists...
I use a Sagem sat receiver, twin tuner and F ing good. hard drive and all the trimmings. Still think NEC where sh**

New thread about bikes, if your interested!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
Funnily enough, the fist van I had from BT was an HA ( classed as Bedford, not Vauxhall ), put both front suspension units through the bonnet when I hit a big hump bridge just outside of Sutton Scotney. I then was gifted with a brand new Ford!
Snap, had one also and was ex post office. It had been resprayed white (I really think hand painted!) but was still royal mail red inside. I would fill it up with petrol then forget about it for a month! Those were the days when we put an old sitting room chair in the back and went off for a family day fishing at the coast.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Noticed it was the posh version with the extra headlights!
Sorry, auxiliary driving lights!
Actually Brian my Brother added those extra two two, Cause at that particular time, the Maltese Archbishop had been given a car just like mine
even in color, (besides the other official cars he had) and my brother wanted the car to be slightly different, hence the middle fog lamps.